Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IVCA race canceled this Sunday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Do the Garda Cycling Club have an opinion relating to these matters? A fair few are IVCA members.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭wav1

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Man, you are olde! I added the 'e' to emphasize the level of old!
    Will you still need will you still feed me when im ...?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,282 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

AmberGold wrote: »
    Do the Garda Cycling Club have an opinion relating to these matters? A fair few are IVCA members.
    The Garda Cycling club were joint promoters of the Ballbriggan weekend but those races still did not go ahead. I am sure they are fully supportive of open (and indeed club) racing. However they are simply that - a club - that should allow them no more influence than any other club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Those Tuesday evening races were great fun. I really enjoyed them.
    That 'old' circuit in the park was great. Started at the Ashtown gate up to the main road - left the main road and a big gallop down to the Eagle (Phoenix) monument fast sharp left and all the way back to the Ashtown gate. Safe and very fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

This was 1991 I think, coming down towards the Ashtown gate. I'm on the right, white jersey and Giro Air Attack helmet
    mms_20150329_122304_zpszzygwc4r.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Borderfox wrote: »
    This was 1991 I think, coming down towards the Ashtown gate. I'm on the right, white jersey and Giro Air Attack helmet
    mms_20150329_122304_zpszzygwc4r.jpg

Only 6 of you in the bunch and you are all over the road ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Borderfox wrote: »

Great pic, brings back memories :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

Inquitus wrote: »
    Only 6 of you in the bunch and you are all over the road ;)

count fail.

lennymc wrote: »
    count fail.

2 of them are off the back!

2 of them are off the back!
    even excluding the 2 off the back, count fail. There are 8 (unless I'm going mad)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

even excluding the 2 off the back, count fail. There are 8 (unless I'm going mad)

I can count 9 in the group and 1 off the back...

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

8 in the front group, 2 just off the back and one way back...

yeah - i count 10. it's a great picture. I love seeing pictures like this, from before the time when everyone had cameras on phones and stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I got 11 including the lad off the back.

Raam wrote: »

oooh. look at me. I can count past 10.

I suspect we have kind of gone ot here.....

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,282 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Depends how far off the back you want to go. Looks like there may be 3 completely detached making 13 in total.....

lenny - can't really be off topic if all we are doing is showing you cannot count:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I get 13 depending on how many are off the back.
    10 in front bunch and I make out three off the back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Red square around the individuals I can make out:

mms_20150329_122304_zpszzygwc4r%2520red%2520square.jpg

So 11 in the front and 1 out the back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

We were all off the back!!!! :-)

How many people are not in the picture?

• Advertisement

How many people are not in the picture?
    Well I'm not. I reckon there were another 5.4 billion or so who were also not in it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Jesus lads. Slow Sunday, is it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

What are the options available to the ICVA that they will cover on Tuesday?

CramCycle wrote: »

According to the email that arrived yesterday they seem a bit stumped as to what to do.
    If the situation doesnt spread ie just Fingal and Meath (North Meath only???) how many races are affected.
    Lets say next weekend is in a place called The Mullagh.Where the fook is Mullagh?

CramCycle wrote: »
    Think the meeting is as much to try and work out what options there may be. To start with though they will need to explain a little more of the background to their decision to pull today's races. I understand their problem at present is they have become aware that the local Gardai may be applying an approach that in the absence of closed roads all racing must be 100% within the RoTR, leaving any officers of the company as well as anyone directly involved in organising specific events (including marshals) in a potentially very difficult position.

They have communicated that they have spoken to a CI Board member and that CI are now seeing similar difficulties with racing both in Co Meath and Fingal. I think there may be a bit more of a steer when we see how the forthcoming Stamullen and Drogheda weekends proceed. In the meantime I am not seeing any reason to pull any TTs, but they may have to be run 100% within the RoTR unless there is further guidance from the Gardai

Personally I think (if they have not already done so) they should seek a direct meeting with the local Gardai to establish if there is any leeway at all, and specifically whether they can adopt a "business as usual" approach.

bcmf wrote: »
    Where the fook is Mullagh?

Co Meath unfortunately. Like a lot of their circuits it's another in the Batterstown area

EDIT: Should just add it's officially my favourite circuit, being the only one I've ever won a RR on!

A quick count of the counter leaves 3 or 4 road races still able to go ahead. The Curragh and Tullamore!

Beasty wrote: »
    In the meantime I am not seeing any reason to pull any TTs, but they may have to be run 100% within the RoTR unless there is further guidance from the Gardai

TT's are much like Corkagh Park, a nice occasional diversion from the real business of road racing, a Vets or Swords league full of those and not much else holds very limited appeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Stamullen is part of the National Road Series, hopefully the powers that be can rescue this one.

• Advertisement

Stamullen is part of the National Road Series, hopefully the powers that be can rescue this one.
    Stamullen and Drogheda both go ahead.Garda help would be nice but neither event perceives that it needs any powers that be to rescue them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

An Garda Siochana help cycle racing in a number of ways: by actively helping with Patrol cars, motorcycles, traffic control at races, supervising marshals,controlling parking, etc. etc.
    But, they also help passively: by ignoring breaches of the Road Traffic Acts, and indeed by staying away from cycle races. If a garda wanted traffic offences, he would get them aplenty at any cycle race in the country. I cannot think of any race(held on public roads), in which riders do not break the law, by not stopping at stop signs.
    In addition, any bike race, held on a public road, without a road closure order and without Garda assistance, is completely dependant on the good will of other road users.Marshals routinely stop traffic at junctions, without any force of law. Lead cars encourage oncoming traffic to slow down or stop to facilitate races. Traffic is stopped to allow bunch sprints, etc.

An Garda Siochana help cycle racing in a number of ways: by actively helping with Patrol cars, motorcycles, traffic control at races, supervising marshals,controlling parking, etc. etc.
    But, they also help passively: by ignoring breaches of the Road Traffic Acts, and indeed by staying away from cycle races. If a garda wanted traffic offences, he would get them aplenty at any cycle race in the country. I cannot think of any race(held on public roads), in which riders do not break the law, by not stopping at stop signs.
    Problem going forward is that they wont be doing what they were and they will be doing what they weren't.

wav1 wrote: »
    Problem going forward is that they wont be doing what they were and they will be doing what they weren't.

How does decades of the status quo working successfully get ruined by one gobshíte from Balbriggan?

How does decades of the status quo working successfully get ruined by one gobshíte from Balbriggan?

one gob****e?

one gob****e?

Well it seems this Super in Balbriggan has pro-actively, singlehandedly taken things to where they are now on account of one incident in a race in Ballyboughal 3 years ago.

• Advertisement

Well it seems this Super in Balbriggan has pro-actively, singlehandedly taken things to where they are now on account of one incident in a race in Ballyboughal 3 years ago.

I don't know the full facts, but I'm pretty sure that the Super. you refer to, was not stationed in Balbriggan

And, strictly speaking, would he not have been condoning breaches of the Road Traffic Acts, by doing nothing.

I was a garda for 30 years, I retired 11 years ago. Shortly after I retired, I was spectating, with my wife at a local race.We drove to a good viewing point on the course. I was parking my car, safely, having judged, when the race would be passing, when "an official car" passed. He had flashing lights on the roof. The driver leaned out the window and shouted "get your f***ing car off the road now".
    I'm here to tell you now, that if I had been a serving member at that time, that official would have ceased his duties there and then.
    I have a feeling, that something similar, may have happened in Ballyboughal.
    A thick, annoyed garda is a very dangerous animal.

A thick, annoyed garda is a very dangerous animal.

Maybe so, but petty vindictiveness is not an attribute that should be associated with a senior Garda, or indeed any Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭not sane

That is awful. In fairness the IVCA has brought a lot of its troubles by the actions of a few.

• Advertisement

Maybe so, but petty vindictiveness is not an attribute that should be associated with a senior Garda, or indeed any Garda.

Of course not, but if presented with aggressiveness, such as I outlined, the matter should not be ignored.

Of course not, but if presented with aggressiveness, such as I outlined, surely understandable.

He could have had the individual scolded rather than the entire racing cycling population of Fingal.

I dont think obeying and enforcing the law is petty vindictivness. I do think that if i (as a normal civillian) was ordered to do anything on the road by anyone other than a garda, i would tell them to GFO. IMHO it was only a matter of time, given the popularity of cycling, that something had to happen. It just so happened that (as far as I understand it) a marshall ordered a garda to remain stationary and the garda took offence. in fairness, I think we have no one to blame but ourselves, and the garda in balbriggan just happens to be an easy target.

just my thoughts.

He could have had the individual scolded rather than the entire cycling population of Fingal.

The entire cycling population of Fingal does not race, and, as I understand it, the objections only apply to the running of road races.

The entire cycling population of Fingal does not race, and, as I understand it, the objections only apply to the running of road races.

I mean the racing population.

I don't know the full facts, but I'm pretty sure that the Super. you refer to, was not stationed in Balbriggan
    The trigger for the current situation was a suspension of racing by Swords CC following instructions from the person Inquitus is referring to.

On the back of that the same individual has effectively stopped all road racing in Fingal unless on fully closed roads. Balbriggan Gardai have recently contacted at least one station within Co Meath essentially asking them to toe the (well actually his) line. That station has now sought to escalate the issue within and across Co Meath.

AFAIK the situation with the IVCA is largely pre-emptive having been given information concerning info currently circulating within the various Co Meath Garda stations

Nevermind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Would this petty vindictiveness be reason enough for a more senior officer to launch or request an investigation of said guard's previous cases and interactions with the public? If he is in the force for the power trips then it sure isn't the first time he has done something like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Would this petty vindictiveness be reason enough for a more senior officer to launch or request an investigation of said guard's previous cases and interactions with the public? If he is in the force for the power trips then it sure isn't the first time he has done something like this.

Given that AGS has an abysmal record of investigating pretty serious alleged wrongdoing by the Gardai then best of luck with this.

Either ignore the direction or build bridges to get an accommodation on what is a subjectively grey area in terms of the law.

It's very difficult to challenge a member of the Gardai on the basis he is seeking to apply the letter of the law

• Advertisement
Advertisement