Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Newtownmountkennedy

Options
  • 27-03-2015 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

*also posted in Accommodation / Property

Hi all,

We're house hunting outside of the pale to upgrade from our tiny Dublin apartment to a proper family home and we've seen a couple of really great properties in Newtown. However, we know little about the village at all. I've done a search on Boards and it's all a bit negative, but they were from 2006 and 2008.

Can anyone HONESTLY advise us how it is there now? Houses we've seen are in O'Neill Park and Season Park. Worth the move with the better half and the little fella?

Thanks in advance...
    Egon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved from East forum.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Newtown is a village, just 20 mins from Sandyford & much of south Dublin.

However property prices are often lower than places further south.

One has to wonder why.

Though I don't live there, I was raised there. Unless the property was worth it, I wouldn't live there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 EgonSpengler

Any specific reasons, BoJack?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 AirmidOg

Hey Egon! My husband and I are also looking at Newtown as an option to buy. We also rent in South Co.Dublin. We really wanted to move to Greystones but it's way outside our budget. We've been doing our research and while Newtown may not have been fantastic in the past there seems to be development coming to the area. It's becoming the choice for first time buyers who can't afford the more developed Greystones. There are plans approved for both new housing and commercial development. Yes you'll need to drive to get around but I'm a country girl anyway and I think Newtown is a great location, close to Dublin but far enough to enjoy country life, close to the facilities of Greystones. I know people in the area and people who have moved there and they really like it. From what we hear Newtown and Newcastle are the next areas of growth. You'll always hear bad stuff about every area but we think it's a good move and are aiming to buy there in the next few months! Who knows maybe we'll be neighbours!!😊

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate you replying. We're going back for a second viewing tomorrow so I think we might be close to putting in an offer. I saw the new housing development in MyHome, so it's definitely on the up. Just hope there's an infrastructure being put in place alongside!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 AirmidOg

I hope so too! I'd love to open a little cafe there! Best of luck!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If you want Greystones but it is not within your budget Kilcoole is a viable option. There are some nice newish developments around and on Sea road at a fraction of Greystones prices. It is closer to Greystones than Newtown and Newcastle. Admittedly there is not a lot in Kilcoole but it does have a mini Tesco, more than one descent pub, a petrol station and it is possible to get a train from Kilcoole to the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Kilcoole also has a secondary school and an excellent primary school. A chemist and an undertaker.

Thank you all so much for the helpful advice, really appreciated..

Hope we don't need the use of that undertaker too soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

*also posted in Accommodation / Property

Hi all,

We're house hunting outside of the pale to upgrade from our tiny Dublin apartment to a proper family home and we've seen a couple of really great properties in Newtown. However, we know little about the village at all. I've done a search on Boards and it's all a bit negative, but they were from 2006 and 2008.

Can anyone HONESTLY advise us how it is there now? Houses we've seen are in O'Neill Park and Season Park. Worth the move with the better half and the little fella?

Thanks in advance...
    Egon

My advice to you is to rent in the area first. Even for 6 months.
    It all depends what you're looking for in a community. What someone thinks is great, could be a nightmare for someone else.

I recall someone suggesting to us, that we go for a drink / bar food in each of the pubs in an area and try to chat to bar staff / locals to get a feel for the place and ask about the area you're thinking of buying in.

We did this, and luckily saved us from making a bad purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Aronaay

I grew up in Newtown. Even with the new developments in the area it is still very much a village community and would take a bit of effort on your part to mix in. most of the bad things have grown out as people got older or moved away still a couple of bad areas but overall a nice place. Saying that me personally would probably never move back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Another large development for Newtown. 80 houses per year for 10 years plus new facilities. Mind you, the facilities will most likely be the last thing to be provided.

€150m Newtown housing scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

RosieJoe wrote: »
    the facilities will most likely be the last thing to be provided.

If ever.

If ever.
    Yep, and the houses will only ever be built if the demand for the previous phase is high.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

looking to get in on this development but i am about 4 months off sadly

No harm in clicking the link from loyatemus post and registering your interest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

RosieJoe wrote: »
    No harm in clicking the link from loyatemus post and registering your interest

yeah i have done that today

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement