Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puncture, or not a puncture

Options
  • 27-03-2015 12:23pm
    Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭

I have a regular problem with my turbo wheel, it punctures every so often. I have always found the problem, outside of the tube, so something coming through the (old) tyre. To solve this, the last time I changed the puncture, I put on an old gatorskin to see if it would end the problem. So, this week, lo and behold, another flat tyre. (I had tried pumping it up but it went flat overnight again). Took the tube out last night and went looking for the puncture - nothing that I could see. Left the tube out, but pumped up, still grand this morning. I'm scratching my head. What caused the flat? Gremlins?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I usually get one or two a year - I always assumed it was perhaps the valve gradually getting messed up/loose

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

catweazle wrote: »
    I usually get one or two a year - I always assumed it was perhaps the valve gradually getting messed up/loose

One in 12 years..........

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Same happens with my turbo wheel (turbo tyre) was going to change the tube out but I just pump it up before each turbo session. It's still fine at the end of the session so doesn't affect the session for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Check the turbo roller, you may have introduced something on it.
    Are you using cheap tubes? They are a false economy.
    Could a family member be letting the air out to fvck with you?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

tunney wrote: »
    Check the turbo roller, you may have introduced something on it.
    Are you using cheap tubes? They are a false economy.
    Could a family member be letting the air out to fvck with you?
    Checked the roller. Clean as a whistle.
    Conti tubes. Always.
    My family know better than to even breathe near my bikes.
    I figured the older tyre had grit in it that worked through, but this time I couldn't find any leak in the tube. Must be a very very slow leak at the valve or something, though not that i could see.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Do the tubes ever puncture?

My tube has been in a couple of years for me and I bought turbo wheel second hand so god knows how long he had the tube in for :) I reckon mine is the valve as it has seen a bit of use itself from just the regular use deflating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

usually rim tape would be culpirt for punctures on turbo.
    and as cw said valves leaking.
    and yes sometimes to find a puncture you need to apply loads of pressure on certain parts of a tube to find it ( just punping it up mot always enough)

not really sure aobut false ecconomy with cheap tubes. besides a heavy cheap tube creates more rolling resitance which is never a bad thing in training.

Do the tubes ever puncture?

My tube has been in a couple of years for me and I bought turbo wheel second hand so god knows how long he had the tube in for :) I reckon mine is the valve as it has seen a bit of use itself from just the regular use deflating.

Every other time (about 4 times) I found the puncture. Theyve always been on the outer side of the tube, so not the rim. I did check the rim yesterday, seems fine, nothing obvious anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Submerge the partially blown up tube under water and look for bubbles.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Submerge the partially blown up tube under water and look for bubbles.
    Did, for ages. Nada.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Oryx wrote: »
    Did, for ages. Nada.

Try pumping some air into it while it's in the bucket/bath/toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Had a problem similar to this last week. Tested the valve then and it came apart. Half the valve section unscrewed rather than just the tip. Seemed that this was the source of the leak.

Thanks. Was thinking it was probably the valve alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Buy a wahoo kickr, no wheel needed:)

Buy a wahoo kickr, no wheel needed:)
    First thing I'll get when I get a sponsor / win big / find a rich toy boy.

Advertisement