Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tantruming baby

Options
  • 27-03-2015 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭

This may seem mad but my lil boy (1 on monday) has an awful temper.
    He can whinge and scream all day. This is nothing new but lately when he is sitting and gets thick he dives forward and head butted the floor. He has done this a few times now out of pure thickness.
    He arches the back going in to the car seat and buggy and on numerous times ive nearly banged his head putting him in the car.
    He throws awful tantrums putting him in his high chair. Arches the back, screaming, throwing himself around. Most of the time he calms once he gets food but sometimes he keeps at it.
    Yestersay i was cleaning his face and hands after eating and i noticed he had bitten himself on the arm.
    I actually dont know what to do any more. He takes up so much time and energy its not fair on my near 3 yr old.
    We have tried ignoring it, saying ah ah and giving him his soother but nothing really helps.
    He is cruising the furniture if we put him standing but cant pull himself up .
    I know alot of it is frustration but its driving us all up the wall.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Suucee wrote: »
    This may seem mad but my lil boy (1 on monday) has an awful temper.
    He can whinge and scream all day. This is nothing new but lately when he is sitting and gets thick he dives forward and head butted the floor. He has done this a few times now out of pure thickness.
    He arches the back going in to the car seat and buggy and on numerous times ive nearly banged his head putting him in the car.
    He throws awful tantrums putting him in his high chair. Arches the back, screaming, throwing himself around. Most of the time he calms once he gets food but sometimes he keeps at it.
    Yestersay i was cleaning his face and hands after eating and i noticed he had bitten himself on the arm.
    I actually dont know what to do any more. He takes up so much time and energy its not fair on my near 3 yr old.
    We have tried ignoring it, saying ah ah and giving him his soother but nothing really helps.
    He is cruising the furniture if we put him standing but cant pull himself up .
    I know alot of it is frustration but its driving us all up the wall.

I wouldn't worry too much (as frustrating as it can be). Both our young lads were tough at that age as well including arching going into car seat / buggy, banging head off floor / wall. Biting his own hand in frustration ... It will pass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Thanks for that. The head butting was bad enough but when he bit himself i got very worried.
    I just though it odd at his age. I imagined he would be older before this would start.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Thanks for that. The head butting was bad enough but when he bit himself i got very worried.
    I just though it odd at his age. I imagined he would be older before this would start.

There are milestones but from my experience you can add +/- 6 mths

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Unreg0909

Oh god Sucee, while I sympathise completely I'm so glad you posted this. My lo is 15 months and exactly the same, I've gotten to the point where I dread having to put her into the car seat. The tantrums are unreal, we've had to leave resturaunts on 2 occasions as she just wouldn't sit in her high chair or on our laps and went nuts when we tried to get her to sit still just for 5 minutes. She also sleeps terribly at night and only does 1 nap in the day no matter what we try, so she's always overtured. It's exhausting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

My daughter was around that age when she used to bite me a lot on the shoulder! Very painful! We used to call her Suarez for a while. She was teething badly though. Thankfully after a month or two, it passed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Sorry you are having a hard time with your little lad. Is he the same in creche/ child minder? My little one ONLY acts up with me - hitting, arching the back etc oh and my dad sometimes as he is a big stress head!

I sometimes need to leave the room for 30 seconds to calm down then at least one of us is calm :-)

Hes not in creche . Im at home full time with them. At least its not just my guy.
    Oh and yea hes not a great sleeper either. Down to 1 nap a day but its 2 - 2.5hrs . That has improved his night time sleep though. As he was napping anything up to 4 hrs in the day before that. .

Seriously any tips on dealing with this?
    its getting so bad the past few days. today he was in such fowl form i even gave him calpol thinking teething. he was on his tummy and got thick and started flinging himself around, i picked him up but it made him worse, i put him sitting/standing/lying/tried to feed him/tried to hold him, nothing worked he continued to scream and throw himself around for close to half an hour. my mum was here and couldnt believe it. i ended up in tears.
    im constantly on edge when im out that he will do it. he drives my toddler up the wall, she has been unwell. she cries sometimes when he is doing it, or leaves the room and sits alone. i feel so sorry for her as well as him.
    i have wonder weeks and know he is in the middle of a leap but has anyone any uselful tips on how to deal with this.
    i have an inflamation problem at the moment too which is affecting my hands so im finding it painful and hard to hold him when he is doing it.
    he woke at 3.22 last night and same thing screamed the house down, OH went to get him calpol and a drink and i couldnt hold him any longer due to my hand so i lay him on the bed. he was arching his back so high and flinging himself around. i picked him up and he started headbutting me and throwing himself. OH took him and held him, offered him a drink and once he calmed he gave him the calpol and i rubbed bonjella on his gums. i dont even know now that it was teething related but he just seemed to be in pain.
    Tips please anyway?

Would you think about having a check up with the doctor? Both for you and baby. I'm sorry to hear that you are in pain, and it can't be easy for you minding your baby. Chat to your doctor and maybe they can at least check that there is no related health issues for baby. Take care of yourself, mummies are usually at the end of the family priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

My 13 month old has an awful temper too, I realkg believe a lot of it stems from being the second child. She sees her sister doing stuff she can't and expects to be able!

I'm using time out, it's fairly unproductive and ineffective at this age but it keeps my sanity. She won't listen to ah ah or no. She will lie down full on tantrum if she's not getting her way.

Where possible I ignore it until it stops but if we're out I remove her from the situation. I use time out when she's hurt her sister so the toddler understands that her sister gets time out too

She's just walking now and in the last week, she's gotten much calmer and will actually sit still!

• Advertisement

RentDayBlues. im really hoping when he starts walking he will calm a bit.
    Sunnyspot i was in with GP myself earlier in the week myself. this is an ongoing issue so i see her regularly. i have him booked in tomorrow for injections so i will definitely mention it and see what she reckons but that is only with the nurse . when i spoke to my phn (he wasnt as bad at that time) she said it was all normal. Its not constant though. he could be quite happy walking around the furniture or playing on the floor but when he gets annoyed or frustrated its like a switch goes off.
    i suppose my own medical issue is making it a lot more difficult. that and the fact my toddler is the complete opposite so this is new to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

RentDayBlues. im really hoping when he starts walking he will calm a bit.

. that and the fact my toddler is the complete opposite so this is new to me.

It did for us, she started to be more easy going but she's still got an horrendous temper and it seems to be over the smallest thing.

My first was the same, so placid, maybe too much so as she struggles to understand why her sister gets so upset now.

I know if I'm in a bad mood she seems worse, so I understand if you're unwell he'll pick up on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Suucee, it's the very same here... She has started the terrible twos at age 1.

Screaming, fists flying, arching back when she doesn't get her way. And she is walking, if anything it is making it worse, she throws the tantrum when I don't let her walk down the stairs, or into the fireplace.

Cutlery is her newest hate. Cannot give her a yoghurt, as she throws a fit with spoons. You'd think I was murdering her offering her yoghurt on a spoon.

I think myself it is that she has an older sister, who does loads of big girl stuff, and she wants to be just like her, doing it all herself, and getting very frustrated that she can't.

I'm doing distraction as much as I can. Singing songs is her favourite thing, so that is working for now if I need to lift her somewhere or get her into the car.

Advertisement