Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ely estate, Firhouse(Oldcourt)

Options
  • 27-03-2015 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi,
    Just wondering does anyone on here live in this estate or are familiar with it or the oldcourt area?
    I might be buying here.
    I am wondering what its like as regards public transport, anti-social behaviour, shopping etc.
    Also wondering is flooding is a problem in the area, and I see that there is zoned development land to the south of the area. Is there plans for further residential building in the area?
    All help[ appreciated.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Public transport: Very poor. There aren't many places in Dublin with worse (or longer).

Anti Social Behaviour: It backs onto the worst area in Firhouse and indeed, Oldbawn. Ballycragh is relatively infamous. Ely always looks relatively well kept up, and I don't know anyone who lives there - but the proximity to Ballycragh would worry me, personally.

Flooding isn't an issue, shopping is either The Square (1.6miles) or Firhouse S.C. (1mile).

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Citroen2cv

Thanks for the feedback. I got the impression when driving through, that its a nice estate itself, but with a few dodgy estates close by.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I know someone who lives in Ely. They like it, they're perfectly happy there, but yes the proximity to Ballycragh and Allenton is an issue, not to mention the social housing estate right across the road.
    That said, I would frequently run down the old court road and while I don't get a lovely leafy-suburb feel from that area, I can't say I've ever seen any gangs hanging around or burnt out cars or that kind of stuff.

Yeah public transport isn't great, not terrible though. The 49 bus is a five-ten minute walk away, it's just not a high-frequency bus, every 30 minutes or so.

I'm not aware of any specific flooding problems there.

Yes, there is a lot of land zoned for building all the way along the Old Court Road and across to Stocking Lane. Whether that actually happens is another matter. There is a local area plan: http://www.sdcc.ie/services/planning/local-area-plans/existing/ballycullen-oldcourt
    The plan however just details zoning matters really rather than what's actually going to happen. You can't force builders to build homes. If it does all come to fruition, it would mean there will be stupid amounts of public walking routes in the area, allowing you to walk from Bohernabreena to Stocking Lane mostly through parkland and estates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

I lived there for a couple of years and have friends living there still.

Public transport is appalling.

Ballycragh used to be a bit notorious, but these days it is very quiet by comparison. I went to school beside it and while I can remember problems back then, I experienced none when I lived in Ely.

There is a quite new small social housing estate right opposite the entrance to Ely and it looks a bit rough. There is also a childrens home now open on the site where the garden centre once was.

Lidl at Beechdale has made a huge difference to the whole area in terms of a handy good supermarket.

Overall Id say Ely itself is fine, but I personally would not buy there - there are nicer estates with similarly priced houses elsewhere in Firhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

Tragedy wrote: »
    Public transport: Very poor. There aren't many places in Dublin with worse (or longer).

Anti Social Behaviour: It backs onto the worst area in Firhouse and indeed, Oldbawn. Ballycragh is relatively infamous. Ely always looks relatively well kept up, and I don't know anyone who lives there - but the proximity to Ballycragh would worry me, personally.

Flooding isn't an issue, shopping is either The Square (1.6miles) or Firhouse S.C. (1mile).

I grew up in Ballycragh, it was rough 25 twenty years ago, but it's fine now. Most of the trouble makers have grown up and moved on... My elderly parents still live there and have never had any trouble, they've been there since 1988. It's certainly significantly better than most parts of west Tallaght. I wouldn't be too worried about Ballycragh if I was moving to Ely.

Ballycragh is neither part of Old Bawn or Firhouse, it's actually part of the parish of Bohernabreena. It's served by the 49 bus route, which when I was younger took over an hour in peak times to get in or out of the city - that's more like 45 to 50 minutes now, 30 minutes or so if there's little or no traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Ballycragh is probably one of the best estates in Tallaght to live in.
    Quiet, with the majority of families having grown up now and a real community feel to it.
    Houses are snapped up in Ballycragh; I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Ely's lovely; quiet and with great mountainous views, you've got a reliable bus service with the 49 and 75 on your doorstep, The Old Mill pub, shops and a really lovely school beside you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Used to live in Ely Close. It was fine. Built up a bit more now. Public transport not great but its handy for M50 and is quite quiet. A friend just moved out of Ballycragh down to wexford, but she loved it, good community spirit where she was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

One of my mates lived in Ballycragh (his family are still there) so I know it quite well. It was a bit rough years back (although still not on the level of West Tallaght) but it's quietened down a lot now.

Advertisement