Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opera Centre seems to be going ahead......

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

A render of the project on Limericks skyline. (from the Leader)

GN4_DAT_8502628.jpg--project_opera_site_could_be__limerick_s_silicon_valley_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

I like the look of it. I just don't want it to be an empty area from 6pm every night and full of skate boarders at the weekends

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

GN4_DAT_8502628.jpg--project_opera_site_could_be__limerick_s_silicon_valley_.jpg

I don't know if I like something that tall in the skyline so close to St. Mary's/St. John's Catherdrals. I'm not religious at all just thinking of the skyline of historical buildings in that side of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Strettie11

I don't know if I like something that tall in the skyline so close to St. Mary's/St. John's Catherdrals. I'm not religious at all just thinking of the skyline of historical buildings in that side of town.

Pity they did not render out Sarsfield House as that will be knocked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Anyone know who the architects are?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

I like it and am delighted to see the city develop. That part of the city is falling down.

I am glad it will change the skyline, maybe then we will start to look like a city in the modern world. Pin the Georgian buildings into the new build but don't hold up progress for what could be change what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mart 23

I think it would be a pity to knock Sarsfield House . If possible add 3 to 4 floors to it and a new facade . Then it could be used by UL or LIT or both.

A compromise for Sarsfield House might be to knock the section nearest the river and refurbish the other part. It is effectively made up of two distinct structures as you can see from the pic. Knocking it entirely might be a bit of an over-reaction. It could be a fantastic and attractive public building, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mart 23

zulutango wrote: »
    A compromise for Sarsfield House might be to knock the section nearest the river and refurbish the other part. It is effectively made up of two distinct structures as you can see from the pic. Knocking it entirely might be a bit of an over-reaction. It could be a fantastic and attractive public building, in my opinion.

Maybe suitable for a new city library.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

The footprint of sarsfield house is quite narrow, if purchased by a developer it would likely be knocked to build something meeting the currently sought after office floorplates by multinationals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Sarsfield House just needs a good refurb. I worked in there briefly and it's ancient!

Just in relation to the point raised by Zulutango and Vanquished that the original design for Bishops Quay was mainly residential below are models of original designs with the 12 storey section all residential. Raises the question now that the Opera Centre is all office is our council chasing rates rather than a living city ?

BQuay1.JPG?dl=0

BQuay2.JPG?dl=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

testicles wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

They'll live in semi-detached estates in places like Annacotty and drive in :/

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

I saw this on Twitter earlier - a brief video clip from the RTE archives documentating urban decay in Limerick in 1981. The focus of the clip was on today's opera centre site.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mdmix

I saw this on Twitter earlier - a brief video clip from the RTE archives documentating urban decay in Limerick in 1981. The focus of the clip was on today's opera centre site.

Wow, that is extremely depressing. have some of those buildings been derelict for 30 odd years or is this a case of same mistake twice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

mdmix wrote: »
    Wow, that is extremely depressing. have some of those buildings been derelict for 30 odd years or is this a case of same mistake twice?

Same mistake twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Glenomra

I would like to see what the plans for Rutland Street-Patrick Street look like. Its the crucial aspect, on the main thoroughfare. The plans are on the Limerick council planning site but i am unable to find the relevant views\drawings. My own computer skills failing. I would appreciate if anybody could upload same or a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Glenomra wrote: »
    I would like to see what the plans for Rutland Street-Patrick Street look like. Its the crucial aspect, on the main thoroughfare. The plans are on the Limerick council planning site but i am unable to find the relevant views\drawings. My own computer skills failing. I would appreciate if anybody could upload same or a link.

I would've expected more documentation for what is a very large project. Detailed drawings of the elevations don't appear to be available.

Vanquished wrote: »
    I would've expected more documentation for what is a very large project. Detailed drawings of the elevations don't appear to be available.

Go to http://eplan.limerick.ie/searchtypes
    Click on Planning File Reference Number
    In File Number enter 178007 Click search
    Click on the file number 178007
    Click on View Scanned Files
    Click I Agree box then View files
    You should now see all documentation submitted for the Opera Centre including detailed drawings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Nothing too exciting to see, fairly bland and standard. Would have liked to have seen something a bit bolder and with a bit more height.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

Think the corner by the Old Quarter ( current surface car park)could have taken a taller building. Any talk of a new library building being included in this site? What does the cultural use building on Patrick street entail?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

topcat72 wrote: »
    Think the corner by the Old Quarter ( current surface car park)could have taken a taller building. Any talk of a new library building being included in this site? What does the cultural use building on Patrick street entail?

I don't know where it will be going, but there is a new library in planning. https://www.limerick.ie/council/newsroom/news/new-central-library-limerick-city-announced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I don't know where it will be going, but there is a new library in planning. https://www.limerick.ie/council/newsroom/news/new-central-library-limerick-city-announced

Ooh exciting. I always dreamed about the old Dunnes on Sarsfield Street being turned into a huge library with reading spots looking out over the river.

The city library is one of my happiest and favourite spots in the city. Even though I would like to see it move to a bigger space that library has always been a place of sanctuary for me over the years. The staff are really excellent there and have brilliant taste in fiction and cookery books :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Is it not supposed to go into the old courthouse when they move up to the new building?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

vkid wrote: »
    Is it not supposed to go into the old courthouse when they move up to the new building?

The District and Circuit Courts are moving to Mulgrave Street. Civil cases will continue at Merchant's Quay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭LeoD

Wow, that is extremely depressing.

Unfortunately I would have to agree with you. Despite all the hooplaa and PR being generated by the 2030 strategic plan and the #liveablelimerick 'campaign', based on past performance and the design quality of all recent completed/planned streetscape redevelopments (O'Connell St, Thomas St, Catherine St, William St, Davis St, Parnell St, Pearse St, etc), I can't help but feel that our council will make a complete mess of things again. Between wide streets, natural amenities and derelict sites, Limerick has huge potential to be developed into a truly modern liveable city however ignorance and the fear of change will result in the delivery of a vision around 40 years behind the times.

IGNORE just seen Cookiemonsters reply on another thread. planning permission now under planning number 178008

Anyone know why Opera Centre planning permission is listed as withdrawn on Limerick City Council planning permission website

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mdmix

just saw planning permission has been submitted for a large development in Cork city, a bit larger than the opera centre plan. its a private development on unused land so can't be directly compared with the opera plan, but the cork plan includes 237 apartments.

http://www.thejournal.ie/cork-river-lee-development-2-3587161-Sep2017/

I like the limerick 2030 aims and objectives but i think it is a bit farcical to rebuild an entire block with no place for anyone to live, especially in the middle of a housing crises. i haven't heard of anything new on arthurs quay, but the old plans were to knock it and build more offices. if this is the case then there will be a huge chunk of the city core which will be desolate after 5.30pm. i was hopeful this might be changed but hearing the council defend the decision to not include any residential units was disheartening. Limerick 2030 actually told the journal that they were looking to accommodate the 3000 workers by developing mungret!! is there any hope for limerick city?

http://www.thejournal.ie/limerick-development-3535497-Aug2017/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Limerick 2030 actually told the journal that they were looking to accommodate the 3000 workers by developing mungret!! is there any hope for limerick city?

http://www.thejournal.ie/limerick-development-3535497-Aug2017/

Cos what we all need is more people travelling into the city by car and a dead city centre by 6pm! :rolleyes:

Advertisement