Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The big 30, over the hill or just the start??

Options
  • 27-03-2015 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi all,

New blogger here although i've been reading quite a few training logs for a while now and have picked up some useful tips along the way!!!

My background is I started running in late 2011 post football injury to keep fit and went about everything the wrong way taking up marathons straight away off very little training or knowledge. I ran 9 in 2012 with a PB of 3:21:36 in Dublin and 2 ultras, Longford and Eddie Murphy. I ran my first 10km that October in 39:23.

2013 went pretty much the same logging average miles no quality but completing marathons, I would end the year with 17 giving me 28 overall. NEw PB3:08:18 in Athlone These included Belfast 24 hour where I ran 100 miles but really really struggled and Portumna 100km (another disaster 10:33).
    The year also contained 1 more 10km again October and a time of 38:53 and a HM PB of 1:28:20 in Clonbur, Mayo.

2014 saw me go back to football and though initially went well, injury again (torn tendons in my stomach bi-lateral for the 2nd time) meant definite retirement, 3 months complete rest followed and running was back on the agenda. And a new more focused me I hoped with a better diet and new goals.

2014 finished with some quality training including some good speed sessions, a 10km PB in October of 37:23, 5km PB of 18:09 in December and 2 more marathons including a PB of 3:05:54 in Portumna in December rounded out my year.

2015 was simple PB everything and chase that elusive sub 3!!!!!

And thats exactly what I did in Liliput in January coming home in 2:59:32 at my 31st attempt at marathon distance!! Delighted but still not happy as I struggled through the last 5km even walking towards the end.
    New focus and decided to up my weekly mileage and focus on Limerick for a bash at 2:55. Have since DNF'ed in Donadea @22m, stomach cramps and have a shiny new PB from Mullingar 1/2 of 1:20:47 finishing 12th on the day.
    Training has been good since and doing between 70-80 miles per week.

Goals for the rest of the year include:-
    Marathon<2:55:00
    HM<1:20:00
    10km<37:00
    5km<17:30
    Belfast 24 hour in July >200km.

Will post my weekly mileage since January and then from monday gone post my sessions.

Any feedback welcome please :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭40whit

Jan 1st-4th 26m
    Jan 5th-11th 52m
    Jan 12th-18th 52m
    Jan 19th-25th 65m
    Jan 26th-Feb 1st 46m

January Total 231m

Feb 2nd-8th 51m
    Feb 9th-15th 54m
    Feb 16th-22nd 43m
    Feb 23rd-Mar 1st 75m

February Total 222m YTD 453m

Mar 2nd-8th 78m
    Mar 9th-15th 70m
    Mar 16th-22nd 74m
    Mar 23rd-27th (today) 51m

YTD 737m

This week has included:-

MONDAY 23rd

6m 53:19 (8:53p/mile) Doing one 5/6 mile run a week as easy as possible for recovery instaed of rest days. Nice and relaxed.

TUESDAY 24th

AM:- Did this session on the treadmill at work as it suited and felt strong, 9m 59:32 including 3x2m @5:58 with 800mtr recovery.

PM:- 6m easy 44:28 @ 7:24p/m, felt good and used a nice local route, legs felt good after this one.

WEDNESDAY 25th

10m easy on the way to work in 1:14:31 @ 7:27p/m. Up early for this one as started work at 07:00 for my 12 hour shift, started off at 7:53 but gradually increased the pace. Was glad of my breakfast when I arrived into work.

THURSDAY 26th

AM:- Another 07:00 start meant another alarm call of 05:00 and 5 miles easy in 38:51 @ 7:47p/m followed by a cycle to work of 8m in just under 30 mins.

PM:- Treadmill session before I left work for home, tired after my 12 hour day and plan was for 5 miles with 3 @ 6:30 pace, decided to go with 1m @ 7:15 w/u, 1 @ 6:30, 1 @ 5:58, 1 @ 6:30 and then 1 @ 7:15 to c/d. 8m cycle home to finish in 31 mins. Got in the door shortly before 9 for a well earned dinner and shower.

THURSDAY 27th

AM:- 10 mile tempoish run 1:07:51 @ 6:47p/m. This one was really difficult and pacing was all over the shop, legs felt heavy and just couldn't get into a groove. Was surprisingly sticky out this morning too which didn't help and after a few long days at work it just didn't go well.

Splits were 7:02, 6:58, 6:44, 6:55, 6:26, 6:27, 6:55, 6:42, 6:56 and 6:42.

PM:- 5 mile recovery in 38:16 @ 7:39p/m. Legs felt surprisingly good after earliers session and were nice and loose. Tipped around nice and easy.

Was delighted also when my OH got me an entry into Manchester marathon for my birthday, only 3 weeks to go until it happens. Can't wait as its a great chance to catch up with family who live in the area so don't need to worry about accomadation or anything either.

Rest of the night plans for training with my eldests soccer team, I coach them for my sins followed by a sneaky pizza and maybe some cake seeing as it is my birthday and all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Welcome to the logs G..hope to see u soon..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Good man Graham, great result in Mullingar, pity I didn't see you down there.
    I heard Lilliput was tough enough so I am sure you will smash that time in Limerick

• Advertisement

Thanks guys good to be here eventually.

Was delighted with the time in Mullingar and yeah Liliput was tough especially as had to deal with ice on the roads for the first half and mucky trails thereafter!!

SATURDAY 28th

6m easy 46:56 @ 7:50pm

As far as runs goes this was pretty routine, took a lot of effort to get out of the door though this afternoon as 4 hours sitting at the laptop working on a case study about hip fractures in the elderly had left my hips feeling rather like they were fractured :/

Glad I did get out though as after the first 1/2 mile I loosened out and just glided along. Effort here was only 2/10 with maybe 3/10 into the wind. Legs will thank me tomorrow for todays session. Plan tomorrow 20 miles @ 7:00-7:15 pace.

SUNDAY 29th

So the planned 20 miler got the bin due to a catalogue of events conspiring against me. The OH is sick and so couldn't get out in the morning as planned, then my eldest had a match in the afternoon and then Ireland vs Poland for good measue.

I eventually dragged myself out the door last night at 9:45 for 8 miles and I don't know if it was frustration at the day lost or the adrenaline from watching Shane Long get us a vital point but a planned 7:30 pace turned into a comfortable 6:42 pace and 8 miles in 53:44.

OH still sick this morning and more football this afternoon as I go with my eldest to an U12 FAI session, U8 GAA tonight at 7 too so hoping to get my 20 done later at maybe 8:30 around the Athlone 3/4 route. Only time will tell huh.

Week ended with 70 miles total.

YTD 756

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

40whit wrote: »
    hoping to get my 20 done later at maybe 8:30 around the Athlone 3/4 route.

Kamikaze running!!

tang1 wrote: »
    Kamikaze running!!

Kamikaze how tang?

Need to get my session in at some stage and its my last big LSR before manchester?

If I skip the session altogether its a big one to miss.

What would you suggest?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Kamikaze how tang?

Need to get my session in at some stage and its my last big LSR before manchester?

If I skip the session altogether its a big one to miss.

What would you suggest?

Thanks

Ah no, it was only a joke. I meant kamikaze running on those roads at night, orginally from the area & a few hairy spots to be running on at night. By all means do your session.

Ah no, it was only a joke. I meant kamikaze running on those roads at night, orginally from the area & a few hairy spots to be running on at night. By all means do your session.

Are you from tang? Didn't mean to sound sharp, do you think I should bin the session altogether and do something short and sharp maybe 800's
    800's?

Are you from tang? Didn't mean to sound sharp, do you think I should bin the session altogether and do something short and sharp maybe 800's
    800's?

800's?

Got it in one, long time gone from there now. I'd say do the long run, if its the last one before Manchester i wouldn't miss it.

Got it in one, long time gone from there now. I'd say do the long run, if its the last one before Manchester i wouldn't miss it.

Thanks :) and for some reason I sense relief at being gone from Tang, i'm a tubberclair man so being away from tang is probably for the best lol

Thanks :) and for some reason I sense relief at being gone from Tang, i'm a tubberclair man so being away from tang is probably for the best lol

Ah, not a whole lot in Tang, you know that yourself. Its GAA or the pub, figured you were Tubberclair or Glasson. At least your not from Maryland!!!

Ah, not a whole lot in Tang, you know that yourself. Its GAA or the pub, figured you were Tubberclair or Glasson. At least your not from Maryland!!!

Oh jesus no lol

Ah sure Tang is grand maghera and pigeons are the spots to be :)

MONDAY 30th

A planned 20 miler again got the bin due to the atrocious weather outside, spent over 2 hours standing out watching a training session this afternoon so i'd had my fill.

Changed to a treadmill session 8miles in 53:49 @ 6:43p/m. Threw in 8x800 and times for these were 2:58, 6x2:44 and 2:53 to finish. Gradient 1 on the treadmill just to get the little extra out of it.

Threw in 400m swim to cool down.

Easy recovery tomorrow, followed by fitness test at work wednesday morning, followed by 5km in Liliput that evening.

TUESDAY 31st

Little man again training for 2 hours so decided I'd get a session in too as had a busy evening including a 12 hour shift at work that night.

7m in 55:29 @ 7:56p/m

March total 318 miles

WEDNESDAY APRIL 1st

AM Supposed to do my annual fitnes test in work and arrived in at 9 to find put it had been changed to the afternoon. Fairly annoyed considering I came straight from a night shift to do it, decided to hang around and meet the wife so whilst i was waiting did 3m easy in 21:53 @ 7:18p/m.

PM Eventually got to do my fitness test consisting of push ups in a minute, sit ups in a minute and a 2 mile run. Top grade in push ups and sit ups and because I turned 30 actually had an extra minute to do the run. Cut off for fail was 16:30, cruised around in 11:20. 1 mile warm up and 2 milecool down gave me 5 miles for the afternoon.

Planned 5km in liliput got scrapped as I was late finishing up in work. Ah well always next week.

Army?

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote:
    Army?

Yes you have it in one, medical core in custume barracks.

Only job that consists of an annual fitness test.

THURSDAY 2nd

Today called for the next part of my fitness test. A loaded run with a 15kg pack, assault vest and done in full combat uniform and boots.

Managed to do the 6.31m in 53:58 @ 8:33p/m. Tough session but enjoyable.

Was supposed to do a recovery run but an u12 match ran late so a rest is probably as good. Stop me over training when I should be tapering anyway.

Yes you have it in one, medical core in custume barracks.

Only job that consists of an annual fitness test.

My auld man done 30 years in it so it sounded familiar, spent most of his time in Custume Barracks, retired since '96.

tang1 wrote:
    My auld man done 30 years in it so it sounded familiar, spent most of his time in Custume Barracks, retired since '96.

Very good, what rank/job did he do?

You didn't follow him into the job so?

Very good, what rank/job did he do?

You didn't follow him into the job so?

Na, went for blue uniform instead! He retired as a Sergeant in Engineers, he done 9 tours in the Leb in his time.

FRIDAY 3rd

12m run in 1:26:50 @ 7:15p/m.

Legs were tired after the loaded run the previous day but needed to get out and get this done. Loosened out after 4 miles or so but wind was still very strong and on an out and back course it was in my face on the return leg. Got new runners too and heavier than normal, mizuno ones and I definitely won't be racing in them, training runs only.

SATURDAY 4th

Local 7km race in glasson for st lukes.

4.25m in 24:57 @ 5:52p/m and 1st place.

An annual race in my own parish and one I'd finished as runner up in previously. Today I wanted to right that wrong. Not a huge field of only 70 or so runners but still very enjoyable race.

Decided I'd go out hard and see who would follow etc so took off like a bat out of hell, the course is an out and back race so at halfway I'd be able to judge my lead or what I had to do.

Went through mile 1 in 5:30 and although I didn't look back i couldn't hear any footsteps within ear shot, this was going to be about racing myself and not getting complacent, went through mile 2 considerably slower though in 5:55 but cruising without working too hard.

Shortly after reached the turn around point and realised I had at least a 50 second lead, relaxed more into it and mile 3 was 5:57, followed by mile 4 in 5:59. I was cruising at this stage and completed the run with a 1:33 .25.

Won a tshirt for my troubles and enjoyed the fabulous spread afterwards.

Was disappointed with pace and will have to work on concentration as I felt I completely cruised and could have knocled up to 1 min off that time, still though delighted with the win and I look forward now to manchester in 2 weeks time.

Tomorrow is 16m hopefully at 6:50 pace with a 6m pick up to 6:30, fingers crossed.

Well done on the win, always nice to win a race.

tang1 wrote:
    Well done on the win, always nice to win a race.

That's for sure and wins don't come around too often :)

SUNDAY 5th

Today planned for 16 miles and for once the plan got executed. Although I only got 4 hours sleep after work last night the fabulous weather out gave me the spur to get out.

Donned my newly acquired tshirt, won at yesterday's race and set out at a decent pace. Consistent throughout as slowest mile was 6:30 and quickest 6:20 through half marathon in 1:24:08, eased back a little for the remaining 3 miles and finished them out still under sub 3 pace.

16m in 1:43:22 @ 6:29p/m

This was my last long run for Manchester in 2 weeks and hopefully I can hold it together on the day for my sub 3.

• Advertisement

MONDAY 6th

5 miles in 44:51 @ 8:58p/m

Recovery run, try to do at least one of these a week although this was my first one in 10 days. Really relaxed and waited until the evening when the sun was gone in.

TUESDAY 7th

8 miles in 58:24 @ 7:18p/m

Speed session today including 12x400's controlled.

As I'm tapering this session wasn't done flat out, after a 1.5m warm up into my first rep and even with the afternoon sun reasonably happy with the 12 reps, each off 70secs recovery.

Times were :-

Aim going in was 80 so delighted with the splits even if the last 2 were over, the sun was fairly sapping though.

2 mile cool down to round out the session.

Advertisement