Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The big 30, over the hill or just the start??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭40whit

Quick update as its been one of those weeks, kids football, work and a case study taking up 90% of my time. Still managed to squeeze in some runs though.

Taper week with Manchester in 6 days so focus was easy running with 1-2 pacy runs.

TUESDAY 7th

8m in 58:24 @ 7:18p/m steady run.

WEDNESDAY 8th

6m in 39:59 @ 6:39p/m. Nice marathon paced blow out here legs feeling strong on a rolling course.

THURSDAY 9th

8m in 57:39 @ 7:13p/m legs felt great after the blowout on tuesday and really just couldn't slow this one down. Wanted 7:30 pace just couldn't get there.

FRIDAY 10th

6m in 45:06 @ 7:31p/m much more controlled run felt a little tired though.

SATURDAY 11th

13.12m in 1:27:07 @ 6:39p/m after arriving at work early for an easy 6 before I started i realised I'd gotten my shifts wrong and was 8pm start not 7pm doh extra hour meant I moved sundays tempo and last medium LR to saturday. Eased in with 7 min mile picking up each mile until mile 9 in 6:15 eased back to cool down for last 4 finishing again with a 7 min mile.

SUNDAY 12th

5m in 38:28 @ 7:42p/m easy run, tired setting out after a 12 hour shift and then straight to a soccer match with my eldest. Meant I did this on 2 hours sleep and another shift that nihht to come. Still got it finished and really freshened me up for work.

The week ahead is all about ticking over with nice easy miles and a 200's session thrown in for good measure. I like yhese sessions race week as i feel they benefit not my fitness but sharpness.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Hi 40whit. Your runniing paces are only something I could dream off!

In relation to your Wed session, did you do a warm-up / cool down? Or did you leave it out of the log as non-relevant.

Are you feeling confident for your target? I think you should be.

In relation to your Wed session, did you do a warm-up / cool down? Or did you leave it out of the log as non-relevant.

Hi Toblerone not generally great for warm up went out on wednesday @ 6:51 for first mile and quickened from there. I find in these marathon pace sessions where I'm not running flat out I dont need too.

If I was doing an interval session or hard tempo i generally do 1-2 miles@ 7:30-8:00 min miles and into the session.

Always get a good stretch after my runs and foam roll 4-5 times a week.
    Are you feeling confident for your target? I think you should be.

Feeling fairly good about my target, will go out at 6:30 pace and hopefully get into a group makes things easier. If I got to 20 miles at that pace I'll push for 2:49 but think I'll be more 2:54:59 fingers crossed. If not sub 3 would still be a good result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck Sunday, say you'll be coming back the fastest marathoner in Tubberclair, nice bragging rights that!!

tang1 wrote:
    Best of luck Sunday, say you'll be coming back the fastest marathoner in Tubberclair, nice bragging rights that!!

Thanks really looking forward to it.

Not too sure about the competition in tubberclair may be some runners I've not discovered yet. But I'll take that title :)

• Advertisement

So quick update on the week so far, with Manchester looming everything has been pretty low key with no doubles

MONDAY 13th

5m Recovery run very easy 44:29 @ 8:54p/m. Weekly recovery avg HR for this 120bpm

TUESDAY 14th

5m Easy in 38:26 @ 7:42p/m Avg HR 143 Felt horrible doing this mainly due to the fact I spent 6 hours finishing my case study and was sapped of all life.

WEDNESDAY 15th

4m Steady 27:57 @ 7:00p/m Avg HR 133bpm max 162bpm Plan was 7:15 but felt greatand half way through mile 4 looked at the garmin to see 6:22 pace, had to tone it down and ease home.

THURSDAY 16th

6m 43:44 @ 7:18p/m Avg HR 132bpm max 178bpm

Last serious session before Sunday and was doing a session I did 3 days out from Mullingar 1/2 last month, a 1m W/U followed by 16x200 off 45sec recovery and then 2m C/D.

Felt great running this without too much effort and splits better than 4 weeks ago which surprised me as I felt I didn't work as hard. This months splits below with last months in brackets next to them.

1m W/U 7:45

16x200 off 45sec recovery

31 (34)
    32 (33)
    32 (34)
    33 (34)
    32 (33)
    33 (33)
    32 (34)
    32 (33)
    32 (32)
    31 (33)
    32 (32)
    32 (32)
    32 (33)
    34 (33)
    32 (32)
    31 (30)

Total now 511 sec, last month 522 sec

Hopefully by the end of the summer maybe get this below 500 secs for the 16x 200 total??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Best of luck at the weekend, looks like your in great shape for it.

PaulieC wrote: »
    Best of luck at the weekend, looks like your in great shape for it.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

Good luck 40whit, you are in great nick.

Quick update before I head off tonight, flying out at 6:30am so long night travelling ahead. Good early night tomorrow.

Managed to get out twice today one steady effort and one recovery, checked my prep for mullingar half and this formula the day after my 200 session served me well then so sure why not now.

Instead of 5m tomorrow though will probably cut it to an easy 3. Roll on Sunday.

Time to maybe try and be optimistic here so have 3 times in mind and will be disappointed if I dont achieve at least one of them.

1. Ultimate goal 2:49:59 (probably just a touch too soon but hey I'll go for it)

2. My year start goal 2:54:59 (think I'm in shape for this)

3. Consolation goal 2:59:29 (a new pb if all else fails)

Anything outside this = disaster

FRIDAY 17th

AM 6m 43:20 @ 7:13p/m Avg HR 150bpm

PM 5m 39:58 @ 8:00p/m No HR data as monitor packed for the off.

Anyone interested in following progress race number is 11677 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

40whit wrote: »
    Quick update before I head off tonight, flying out at 6:30am so long night travelling ahead. Good early night tomorrow.

Managed to get out twice today one steady effort and one recovery, checked my prep for mullingar half and this formula the day after my 200 session served me well then so sure why not now.

Instead of 5m tomorrow though will probably cut it to an easy 3. Roll on Sunday.

Time to maybe try and be optimistic here so have 3 times in mind and will be disappointed if I dont achieve at least one of them.

1. Ultimate goal 2:49:59 (probably just a touch too soon but hey I'll go for it)

2. My year start goal 2:54:59 (think I'm in shape for this)

3. Consolation goal 2:59:29 (a new pb if all else fails)

Anything outside this = disaster

FRIDAY 17th

AM 6m 43:20 @ 7:13p/m Avg HR 150bpm

PM 5m 39:58 @ 8:00p/m No HR data as monitor packed for the off.

Anyone interested in following progress race number is 11677 :)

Tough luck, still a fantastic time, but I doubt you'll see it that way...

To echo PaulieC's sentiments, well done on a great time but I'm sure you'll be disappointed.

What did he run lads?

Great running, but have no doubt as the lads said you will be disappointed with it. I'm sure you'll learn from it & come back even stronger.

So ended up with disaster, just wasn't in me today and from 8m onwards calves really sore/tender.

Finished in 3:03:47 and learned a lot. Will throw up a race report Tuesday when I'm home.

Thanks all for the well wishes.

RACE REPORT Manchester marathon Sunday April 19th

Preparation

Training has gone well in the lead up to the race with good times being hit, even hitting 80 mins for mullingar 1/2 and winning a local 7km race.I got this entry as a birthday present and so it brought my target race forward by 2 weeks. Original target was limerick may 3rd. This put my sessions a little skewed and as a result I missed a planned 20 mile and a 22 mile run in the lead up and rushed my taper. Not ideal but still confident.

Travel

Set out Friday night at 10:30pm to catch a bus to the airport, a long night in departures(very little sleep)followed as flight wasn't until 6:30am Saturday, had to get a bus as the wife needed the car and couldn't get anyone to watch the kids overnight. Arrived at 7:30 and started to make my way to old Trafford for number collection, disappointing expo and then had to tram and bus it to my sisters an hour away. Arrived at hers exhausted at 1pm. And as my sister is super organised she had no shopping done so 2 hours walking around asda was up next. Went for dinner that night and eventually retired to bed completely exhausted at 10pm.
    I did do an easy 3m that evening hoping the legs would ease out, they didn't.

Race morning

Slept pretty well all things considered and my nieces mickey mouse bed was actually pretty comfortable, woke at 6:00 and stayed in it until 6:30, usual routine of porridge and honey and sipping on water. Felt pretty drained but hoped adrenaline would kick in soon. Legs were sore and tender.Arrived at the start area at 8:15 loads of time but again not feeling very Olympic and fairly apprehensive. Conditions were perfect cool,dry and barely any breeze.

The race

Miles 1-4(6:31,6:24,6:27,6:34)
    After the trek to the start line which wasn't signed or marked which I found odd, we started bang on time at 09:00. I had positioned my self in the first wave about 8 rows back as to get good clear road out. I knew I wasn't 100% but still thought once I settled in I'd loosen out and so went out at my originally planned pace of 6:30 per mile, as with any race like this the start is exciting and a little fast but soon settled in and found my rhythm although working a little harder than I should have been. Miles ticked by quickly early on and we would go around our first turn around point here, a roundabout and with being in the top few hundred the sight of the other 10,000 coming the opposite way was quite the sight. Did notice in this section too a girl from mullingar harriers and 2 athenry guys running. Go on Ireland.

Miles 5-8(6:30,6:32,6:36,6:35)
    The effort was definitely there now and the ache in my calfs was worsening but as I'm a thick fecker just kept the head down and plowed on. The course was uninspiring with everything looking the same, just masses of houses and buildings, no scenery like at home, no landmarks to look forward too just drab housing estates and shop streets everywhere. This wasn't helping my mood. Another little out and back this time around a set of cones then brought us onto the road to Altrincham a long 4 mile road we'd have to go both ways on. Hell.

Miles 9-13(6:30,6:36,6:44,6:54,6:48)
    The plan here was to get to 1/2 way in decent time and then hopefully just hang on, really long straight road here didn't help and as I hit mile 10 just felt dead, pushed on until half way but was now being passed on a regular basis and this hit me hard and I started to fade. The pace now was really uncomfortable and my calves were very tight. So much so that if I had stayed pushing I'd have cramped. Damage limitation time and hopefully have enough time banked to see me under 3. Half way in just over 1:26.

Miles 14-17(6:47,7:05,7:28,7:40,7:32)
    Crash bang wallop is all I can say about this section on the return from Altrincham, it was hell. If I knew how to get to old Trafford quickly I'd have quit at this point as my head completely went and with it any sub 3 hopes. I just couldn't stop the doubt in my head as I was literally a step away from walking at times here. Bodies were going past me like I was standing and I just wanted the ground to consume me so I could stop and the pain in my calves would go away. Although the encouragement from the oncoming runners was great I really wasn't in the mood for any pleasantries and must have seemed like an awful ignorant pig. Sorry to anyone I offended.

Miles 18-22(7:32,7:27,7:16,7:18,7:24)
    Off the long stretch and started to feel a small bit better after my 3rd gel, legs still sore that wasn't going to change but mentally accepted my demise and so set about staying ahead of the 3hour pacer for as long as I could. Stayed ahead until mile 20 and proceeded to run my best 2 miles in a long time in pursuit of staying with them. Plenty of walkers and people pulled in stretching now and I really didn't want to join them so when I started to get woeful pains in my calves again decided to ease right back to avoid cramping. A good decision as I was on the edge.

Miles 23-26.2(7:35,8:08,8:05,7:58)
    Seriously in pain seconds from cramps but for some reason I'd embraced it and actually enjoyed the last few miles, pressure off sub 3 gone and grumpiness subsided, I even started to encourage the runners who were now passing me and not cursing them. Really had to slow here and could see old Trafford from a mile out. Only decent sight or landmark the whole 3 and a bit hours, brought it home nice and gently to finish in a time of 3:03:47. Nice medal and tshirt and plenty of protein, food and erdinger to get me over the pain.

Finished 586/10,551.

Post race

Delighted with my disaster really as it could have been a lot worse, I stuck in well and still got a pretty decent time considering all the factors. The lost sessions didn't help but my poor taper was to blame too, looking back this was my 62nd consecutive running day and I was drained. Poor travel arrangements and all the walking the day before didn't help but ultimately weren't the main factor in my failure, my lack of rest in hindsight cost me a good time, and after a 5mile recovery Monday this week will now be about rest, and think I'll definitely take one day a week off from now on even if I feel I don't need it as it catches up on you eventually.

Next up is a 100km race in donadea in may I was invited to run, only 20 invites sent out so get my body well rested for that test and learn my lessons hopefully from this experience.

Quick update post Manchester and it's been a struggle this week, felt every bit of last sunday up until yesterday's run.

MONDAY 20th

5m recovery in 42:26 @ 8:29p/m

Had, to get out and do this one but felt drained from the day before, flew home that night landing in ireland at 10:30, the better half didn't arrive until 11:15 :/

TUESDAY 21st

A shift start of 08:00 and no car meant an early rise to cycle the 8 miles to work and the 8 mile return leg that night. 61:13 for the two combined and my first day not to run in 63 days.

WEDNESDAY 22nd

Another 12 hour shift and again a commute in, I was going to an u12 soccer match after work so just the cycle in today so took the longer route and 12.5 miles done in 48:11. Legs still dead.

THURSDAY 23rd

Back running today and needed a blow out so ran what felt like 6 min miles which in reality were 7:11 average.

6 miles in 43:01 @ 7:11 p/m.

By the end I was hanging on and realised I had gone out too hard. Do I ever learn?

FRIDAY 24th

Our car combusted during the week and so we were using my brother in laws, he required it for the weekend so had to drop it into him and run home. Took this nice and easy.

9 miles in 1:11:39 @ 7:58p/m

SATURDAY 25th

5 miles 40:49 @ 8:10 p/m HR avg 144

After leaving my HR monitor in work during the week had it back and kept this in my easy zone of <152bpm. Amazing how tired I was still as my rums at that avg HR 2 weeks ago were 7:30-7:40 pace. Back on nights too, and it was busy.

SUNDAY 26th

Another commute to work this time on foot and wanted a steady effort, the difference a day makes is amazing felt great initially although after eating a big salad just before I left started to get stomach cramps and bloating to an uncomfortable level during the last 2 miles, just slowed down and finished it out.

8 miles in 57:00 @ 7:08p/m HR avg 158

Finished my week with 33 miles.

MONDAY 27th

5m recovery in 38:38 @ 77:43p/m Avg HR 151bpm

What a difference a few days makes. HR still very high up until Saturday but this run pace was right back down keeping HR in the recovery zone.

I will be working completely off HR for this block leading into donadea 100km and then belfast 24 hour and see how this training suits me.

I was vo2 tested in january and will be working off the following zones:-

Easy/Revovery 137bpm-152bpm (5-6 sessions per week)

Steady/Lactate threshold 158bpm-163bpm (up to 90 min efforts, 1 session per week)

Heavy lower/Lactate turn point 171bpm-176bpm (30 min efforts, 1 session per week ex 3x10min or 4x8min)

Heavy higher 177bpm-182bpm Tempo pace (1 session every 2 weeks, 800's- 2 mile repeat)

Maximal/vo2 and speed max 189bpm (200's-600's one session per week)

Long runs will start Sunday with a 4 hour effort increasing by 1 hour per week until taper and then start again 2 weeks after donadea right up until Belfast. My mid week medium long run will start this week at 10 miles and hit 20 miles for belfast.

One rest day a week scheduled but as mileage increases this may become 2.

2 double days per week scheduled.

MONDAY 27th

5m recovery in 38:38 @ 77:43p/m Avg HR 151bpm

How the hell do you run at 77min/mile pace.........

• Registered Users Posts: 30 DragonBourne

all downhill from here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Ed Mc

tang1 wrote:

Slowly

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote:

It's an art in its self, time, dedication and many many training miles are required to hit those 77 min miles :)

TUESDAY 28th

Weather is dreadful so hit the gym tonight with my better half.

8m in 54:37 @ 6:50 Inc 12x1min @ 6:00p/m with 1 min recovery

800mtr swim afterwards in 16:52

Weather is dreadful so hit the gym tonight with my better half.

And miss the opportunity of character building :-)

WEDNESDAY 29th

AM 5 miles in 38:33 @ 7:42 p/m Avg HR 118bpm think HR monitor may be off as figure seems way too low.

PM 6 miles in 42:34 @ 7:06 p/m Avg HR 141bpm steady effort legs fresh again.

Got a free entry to belfast marathon on Monday and couldn't resist, probably (definitely) not 100% after Manchester but what the hell :)

Advertisement