Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work and visa supplied for Fort mcmurray?????????????

Options
  • 27-03-2015 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello,

I am considering a possible career in the oil fields in Fort Mcmurray. I am a 22 year old Irish male with 5 years construction experience with many Irish regulated Machine operator licenses/tickets(360 excavator, Telescopic handler , Articulated Dumper,Dozer, tower crane,

I have applied for my Canadian working holiday visa Via the CIC website and I am awaiting for the Visa coop to open, Ireland is only been allocated 7000 Working holiday visas this year for Canada and they are in great demand as they are usually gone in minutes.

Does anybody know of any schemes / companies/ agencies to recruit skilled overseas construction workers to fort mcmurray that may include working permit / visa and work and live over in Canada?

A good friend of mine 26 years of age who is a fully qualified electrician is in the same situation as me,

He also is keen to make the move out to fort mcmurray with myself if the

opportunity arises?

Any additional information about making the move out would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much

Alan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Son

Why fort mc Murray? Don't believe all the hype about it, its very expensive and isolated to live there plus the whole oil biz is taking a step backwards right now. I'm in Regina SK and construction is doing pretty good as with all other trades,trades get payed pretty good,I'd advise you to look at other areas

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

I agree - Fort McMurray is a complete ****hole (mind you Regina is as well....:) )and the oil industry is in a massive slump at the moment due to the collapse of oil prices. The workers that are there are keeping their heads down trying to hold onto their jobs at the moment, so I can't see that any company will be rushing to sponsor bringing in workers from overseas for the moment at least...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 southstand

Son wrote: »
    Why fort mc Murray? Don't believe all the hype about it, its very expensive and isolated to live there plus the whole oil biz is taking a step backwards right now. I'm in Regina SK and construction is doing pretty good as with all other trades,trades get payed pretty good,I'd advise you to look at other areas

Is there much work for electricians in Regina? I have IEC visa and was planning on heading to Alberta but the slow down in the oil industry is putting me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Son

southstand wrote: »
    Is there much work for electricians in Regina? I have IEC visa and was planning on heading to Alberta but the slow down in the oil industry is putting me off.

Well I don't know any electricians but have a look on saskjobs & kijiji and it will give you an idea.Construction seems to be doing well so I'd imagine any related trades would be too.You could try the British expat Canada forum and ask there,I'm sure there will be some electricians or people that know more.Weather is getting better now so its a good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

There's dam all happening in Fortmac at the minute, I know a few Irish leaving Fortmac and going elsewhere!

• Advertisement
Advertisement