Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Essential shoe picks

• 27-03-2015 4:06pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I need to basically restock my entire shoe wardrobe. I've never been much of a shoe person (I love them but they were never my priority) so I would love your guidance on the best essential shoes one should have. Right now, I have a couple of pairs of fairly battered ballet pumps, crappy flip flops, two gorgeous but somewhat impractical pairs of Irregular Choice heels, black low-heeled ankle boots, low-rise converse and a pair of tan knee-high boots that need reheeling.

It's coming into summer and the weather is going to be quite warm, although it's still likely to rain a bit over the next couple of months. I walk a fair bit and I'm a relatively casual dresser (summer/day dresses or jeans, typically).

Are there any must-have styles that you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I would suggest a pair (or two) of brogues. Clarks have a nice selection of them in different colours and they're really comfy. For warmer weather get a nice pair of sandals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

I have a pair of these (in a different colour)

18670.jpg

and a pair in the same brand, in that colour, but they are a normal sandal, not a mule.

I love them, they can be worn with casual or dressier - they are my staple going out sandal in a hot country.

I also usually have a pair of:

2f289c_22301303_o.jpg

for going walking or just hanging around casually.

And then for fancy I usually have something along these lines:

104721616.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

For summer, gladiator sandals are good. The ones that go up the leg are popular this year if you like that style, personally I don't though! A nice wedge heel is good too, for comfortable sandals that give a bit of height and can be worn with jeans or a dress.

If you walk a lot then maybe a pair of Birkenstocks or similar would be a good choice too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

White runners seem to be everywhere this year. I think heals are getting a bit lower lately, stilettos are still in, there seem to be quite a few wedge sandals too.

I am in similar situation and I looked through my wardrobe and made a basic list of shoes that go with my clothes. I still have to get a pair of black heels, probably stilettos that I like and don't cost 300 euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

For summer I love my lo top Converse and Toms. They're super comfy for walking and work well with jeans or skirts/dresses. Both are canvas though so you definitely need good weather for them!
    classic-toms-toms-shoes-skinny-jeans-jeans-urban-outfitters-top_400.jpg

If you're going for ballet pumps or flat sandals try get something that has a good supportive sole for your inner arch otherwise your feet and maybe your back too will get really sore pretty quick. As already said gladiator have been in for a few years now if you like that look.

For dressy/casual shoes I got these DKNY wedge espadrilles 3 years ago and have worn them every summer since. Something in this style could be good if you want a supportive heel. This style is available nearly every summer in every shop so if you like them it's possible to find a variation that suits; lower heel, other colour etc.
    DKNY-Espadrille-Wedge-as-Name-Brand-Collection-578x383.jpg

Pippa.ie had a post the other day with flat espadrilles for summer that had some lovely options for all budgets.
    http://www.pippa.ie/tuesday-shoesday-chic-espadrilles-for-spring/

Ankle boots are great all year round.

• Advertisement
Advertisement