Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joint supplements that aren't oils.

• 27-03-2015 4:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

Just wondering does anyone have experience with any supplements for joints that don't come in liquid oil form? Dude's a bit stiff around his hips, all stemming back from his accident. He gets around fine, limping every now and again but if we've had a particularly vigorous play session with his DaBird toy we can really see it catching him in his hips. I usually would give him metacam when he starts limping but I know it's not a solution for long term use.
    Only problem is he has a very very very dodgy tummy. After a year of near constant diarrhoea we finally have it under control but anything oily or fatty in his system sets him off again. We tried salmon oil but it just didn't agree with him. He seems fine with powder supplements, I give him a probiotic powder on occasion and he seems fine with it! So has anyone used any powdered suppliments for joints and how did your pets get on with them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I feed my guy the Luposan pellets, while i think they may be too big for a cat....

check out Luposan powder.... i find the pellets very very good, im sure the powder is much the same.

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/supplements_specialty_food/bones_joints/luposan/129094

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I use Luposan pellets too - they come in a powder too but I found the pellets better and don't think they'd be too big for a cat? You can kind of smell the green lipped mussel so I think it'd be appealing to cat too. I also use Flexicose which is a liquid but not oily - don't know if it'd cause problems with his tummy or if a cat would like it's because it's a sweet fruity flavour lol!
    When the Flexicose runs out I'm going to switch to YuMove which is meant to be very good - they do a cat version too. Also if his tummy is in anyway dodgy don't try turmeric paste (!)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Oscar15

We used to give our staffie liquid glucosamine.

He had a very dodgy tummy - he had colitis - but was fine on this.

It helped his joints a lot.

Also he was very, very fussy but he loved the taste of this!

We also used to use slippery elm powder to keep the colitis under control because we didn't like giving him steroids too often. Slippery elm is totally safe and great for dogs with dodgy tums. Might be worth having a Google about it if he has a sensitive stomach, it helped our boy hugely.

Hope you find something that suits him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

I use Yumove Advance for my older dog and I find it very good - they have a cat version in capsule form which you break over food.

http://www.lintbells.com/products/yumove-advance-for-cats

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/yumove-advanced-capsules-for-cats.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I think I'll order some of the yumove and see how he gets on with it :) I think I might bring him to the vet first for a check up just to make sure there isn't anything more going on before I start him on it though. Thanks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

There's also Cosequin for cats - it's powdered to sprinkle over food - ditto on Sasha's Blend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Thanks sillymangox I was going to ask similar question as our two old boys (14 and probably about 12) are getting stiff.

What probiotic do you use for dude? Our old boy is often on antibiotics in winter and I'd like to try something like that.
    Also anyone got ideas for building up immune system?

*sorry for hijacking your thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

mymo wrote: »
    Thanks sillymangox I was going to ask similar question as our two old boys (14 and probably about 12) are getting stiff.

What probiotic do you use for dude? Our old boy is often on antibiotics in winter and I'd like to try something like that.
    Also anyone got ideas for building up immune system?

*sorry for hijacking your thread

This is the one I use on recommendation from TK I think! http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Pet-Dophilus-2-5-oz-70-5-g-Powder/4295 I give it to Dude after he's finished up a course of antibiotics to build him up again. Haven't had to give it to him in a while now thankfully! No worries about hijacking the thread. Have you used l-lysene for their immune systems? I've never used it myself but I've heard it's good for flu symptoms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Only useful for kitties already infected with FHV, and shouldn't be used long term... Good info here:

http://www.l-lysinebenefits.net/lysine-for-cats/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Jake was half dead with cat flu when we got him at 8weeks, vet thought he wouldn't survive. He grew into a fine big cat, but at about 3yrs he got upper respiratory infections, then again a few years later, since he was about 9 it's been getting more frequent, twice since Christmas. Vet said he has some scaring from initial infection, and honestly never thought he still be alive at 14, so just looking for things to help him stay healthy. It's usually only winter months he suffers, he can still chase toys and cuddle like a kitten at times.

Thanks for advice! X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I have used Joint Aid with the dogs, not sure if it would be suitable for cats, but my lot really like it sprinkled on their food.

Advertisement