Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Tri

Options
  • 27-03-2015 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I signed up for a sprint tri during the summer - early June, and now I am starting to wonder if I have jumped the gun a bit.

I am a strong swimmer, and will have no issues with the swim, I was running regularly up to 10K distances up to Christmas, and have just done a few training runs of 6-7K since

And for the cycling, I am about to start :eek:.

I am not in bad shape with regards to fitness as I swim nearly every day, but not nearly as fit as your regular triathlon athlete.

So my question to you regular athletes : Is it possible to complete one within a reasonable time - no need to be in the top, but also would not like to be paddy last :)

Is 2 months enough to get myself into good shape with training?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Hi folks,

I signed up for a sprint tri during the summer - early June, and now I am starting to wonder if I have jumped the gun a bit.

I am a strong swimmer, and will have no issues with the swim, I was running regularly up to 10K distances up to Christmas, and have just done a few training runs of 6-7K since

And for the cycling, I am about to start :eek:.

I am not in bad shape with regards to fitness as I swim nearly every day, but not nearly as fit as your regular triathlon athlete.

So my question to you regular athletes : Is it possible to complete one within a reasonable time - no need to be in the top, but also would not like to be paddy last :)

Cheers

Define strong swimmer. Can you swim 750m in one go?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Yes its possible to complete one, and you have to start somewhere. Have you ever swam open water (I presume its ow swim).

The bike will matter, if its poor your run will suffer. Also practice running off the bike. Initially it will feel nothing like running usually does!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

Yes, I would normally aim to swim 2k in the pool, usually swimming 1k in about 15mins, with the second 1k a little slower

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Cheers

Yep, you should be fine.

Thanks guys,

never swam ow before - the nearest I have got to that is a bit of surfing

getting measured for my suit :) tomorrow (hopefully), as I want to get into the sea ASAP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Thanks guys,

never swam ow before - the nearest I have got to that is a bit of surfing

getting measured for my suit :) tomorrow (hopefully), as I want to get into the sea ASAP

You'll get it off the water mid pack. Fall back in the bike. Then make places up on the run. You won't be last. Go for it.

Being able to swim makes all the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

If you can swim 1k in a pool in 15 mins you will be better than mid pack in most races!

Done and dusted and rearing to go again :)

Swim was an uncomfortable 14 minutes - did nit get enough ow practice in.
    Bike was a hard 58 minute cycle, but happy because only managed two 8k cycles previously.
    Run was 33 minutes, a little slower than my 2 park runs but to be expected after the swim and cycle .

Overall I am delighted - 3 goals met - 1) finish it , 2) don't be last 3) if possible do it in less then 2hrs (made it in 1hr 57 :) )

Moral of the story - practice and practice and make time for practice
    Work really gets in the way of life !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Which race did you do? Salthill, Camlough, somewhere else? Well done anyway, nothing like the feeling of the first race behind you and I'm sure the next race will be a PR.

Race was in Schull - a well organised race and great town to visit.
    Yes, definite room for improvement :)

• Advertisement

Found this old thread while browsing...

So, did the race again this year (2 weeks ago), with a time improvement goal of breaking 1:45. I had not biked or ran too much this year (injuries), but even a little biking was more than last year.

Well happy to say I did it in 1:36 (19 minute improvement), and know that there is more in me.

Swim was 12:35, so would like to improve here - will be happy with dropping a minute off this for next year of possible. You may see me asking for advice on this in the future :)

Bike was 48:32, and definite improvement to be gained here. I pulled a calf muscle getting out of the water, and thinking it may be cramp continued on expecting it to work its way out - it didn't :(.

Run was 28:18, so considering my leg was giving me gip, I can definitely drop this a little (along with some weight), and would aim to being it below the 25min mark.

Calf on one leg and hamstring on the other have been acting up over last few weeks, so have been to the physio who has given me strengthening exercises. Something I never considered to do, and was told that I need to be doing these.

Anyway, have really enjoyed the bit of training I have been doing, and will keep this up, and try set out a plan for winter training. Slowly getting into the running again, bike with a group twice a week now as well as 2 OW swims a week.

I guess the next step is to start a log :)

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

#TriAddictionInTheMaking :) Congrats and keep it up ;)

Advertisement