Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog and new baby

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Thanks Hooked and DeltaWhite for your nice comments, sorry I took so long to reply but I seem to have been neglecting boards of late! And Little Cub you're nothing like the person discussed in this thread, you did your best and ended up having to make a difficult but responsible decision. I think posters on here just take issue with people who don't even try and just automatically banish and neglect their dogs.

On the subject of the PHN, my dogs weren't in the house for her first visit as I had a section so my mother in law was minding them for a few days while my hubby got used to a very independent wife suddenly relying on him ;-) She went to put the baby in the bassinet and wrinkled her nose saying, is that dog hair in here? (Don't even know how it got there!) I looked at her deadpan and said, oh yes, the Rottweiler sheds. Well the face on her! Of course then I got the dog lecture but it was worth it :-p

I remember after Abigail was born, I shed WAY more hair than Shadow did! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I remember after Abigail was born, I shed WAY more hair than Shadow did! :o

Lmao don't talk to me, I'm surprised I'm not bald by now!!!

I know this thread has been idle a while but I'm still thinking of the OP, hope you are getting on well with your new human and dog :) And I hope your colleague rehomed her dog too!!!
    Over a year into parenthood here and child and dogs all still in one piece. Only one of them is interested in her, the other two pretty much ignore her unless it's food time - then they all camp out under her high chair. One of her first words was 'dom' (dog) :D

Oh, and I have another one on the way. I figure 3 dogs, 3 babies, then we're done ... probably :pac:

Hope all you puppy & people parents are well x

Oh, and I have another one on the way. I figure 3 dogs, 3 babies, then we're done ... probably :pac:

Dog or baby? :D

I've another wee lassie due in 5 weeks. The dog spent a good 20 minutes ensuring my current human child was very, very clean this morning. Her hair is stuck together with saliva and it took half a pack of baby wipes to get all the loose hair off her face :pac:

I've another wee lassie due in 5 weeks. The dog spent a good 20 minutes ensuring my current human child was very, very clean this morning. Her hair is stuck together with saliva and it took half a pack of baby wipes to get all the loose hair off her face :pac:

Lmao another bambino on the way, I've already got the three dogs, now just have to spawn enough kids to take responsibility for each one, while I rule over the household with an iron fist :p

Congrats on the imminent arrival, thank goodness you have your dog to take care of toddler baths while you're indisposed with a newborn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Ah congrats to you both! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭jimf

good for the immune system maybe not so good for the baby wipes bill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Our little lady is getting on great with the dogs, or rather they barely notice she's there! There was a bit of investigating at the start but after a sniff or two they were grand and just delighted to see me home after being in hospital. Even Benson the barker has been brilliant, he comes over and gives her kisses/licks on the head when asked, and is only delighted with the praise he gets in return, and there hasn't been a peep out of him, he's completely at ease with her. Coco does have her eye on Genies cuddly toys though, I have to keep them out of paws reach!

Our little lady is getting on great with the dogs, or rather they barely notice she's there! There was a bit of investigating at the start but after a sniff or two they were grand and just delighted to see me home after being in hospital. Even Benson the barker has been brilliant, he comes over and gives her kisses/licks on the head when asked, and is only delighted with the praise he gets in return, and there hasn't been a peep out of him, he's completely at ease with her. Coco does have her eye on Genies cuddly toys though, I have to keep them out of paws reach!

It's amazing how quickly they just take a sniff and decide "Oh, that's another human. Oh, it lives here now? It doesn't throw balls? Hmmph, fair enough so!" and get on with their lives while we're sitting there utterly relieved they didn't drag the baby off for a forest sacrifice to the wild animals or something :pac:

• Advertisement

It's amazing how quickly they just take a sniff and decide "Oh, that's another human. Oh, it lives here now? It doesn't throw balls? Hmmph, fair enough so!" and get on with their lives while we're sitting there utterly relieved they didn't drag the baby off for a forest sacrifice to the wild animals or something :pac:

I know! The initial relief is like we almost expect them to react badly:o. And I'm sure Coco will be lining up balls to be thrown as soon as Genie can get a grip on them.:p

Congrats blm, so nice to be reading some happy doggy stories to start off my day :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Wondering if there is any research on children brought up in home with animals?! My daughter grew up in a house with dogs, in a garden with hens, and had ponies/horses. While growing up, our house was always very clean, but the child was pretty often filthy dirty/muddy/wet/unwashed, and outdoors pretty much all day long, hanging out with the animals. She was so rarely sick/ill, when we went to the doctor for a riding accident, aged around 18, the doctor said he assumed she had moved as he hadnt seen her since she was 4!!!!!!!!! Im convinced her immune system was enhanced by growing up with animals/outdoors. She was a star pupil and never had any exam stress/anxiety - her bedroom was littered with sleeping pets while she studied, study breaks were spent walking a dog or going riding or playing with a pet - correlation?!?!:)

Lovely to read about happy dogs hoovering up high-chair droppings - no fears about the 3 second rule in those houses :D

There's definitely been research done on respiratory conditions such as asthma and various allergies. Anecdotally I'm a very healthy person and I grew up with animals all my life. From memory the only time I went to the doctor when I was sick was when I caught scarlet fever as a child, then chicken pox. Even as an adult I don't catch that many colds or flus. My first ever hospital stay was when I had the baby :p *

* Although many times I had to be brought to Temple St Hospital for finger breaks, ankle sprains etc from falling out of trees while climbing. I spent more time in the garden as a child than I did indoors! I even fractured my skull in one of my many falls from climbing :eek:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭jimf

my daughter also had dogs in her life since she could crawl it was nothing unusual to find her sharing an ice cream or cone with the dogs sat watching one day as they had every second lick from a cone

bags of crisps etc usually were heaved onto the floor and it was a case of first come first served

aonb wrote: »
    Wondering if there is any research on children brought up in home with animals?! My daughter grew up in a house with dogs, in a garden with hens, and had ponies/horses. While growing up, our house was always very clean, but the child was pretty often filthy dirty/muddy/wet/unwashed, and outdoors pretty much all day long, hanging out with the animals. She was so rarely sick/ill, when we went to the doctor for a riding accident, aged around 18, the doctor said he assumed she had moved as he hadnt seen her since she was 4!!!!!!!!! Im convinced her immune system was enhanced by growing up with animals/outdoors. She was a star pupil and never had any exam stress/anxiety - her bedroom was littered with sleeping pets while she studied, study breaks were spent walking a dog or going riding or playing with a pet - correlation?!?!

I don't know about health wise but I read a study last year about the emotional impact of pets on children. I don't know how to find it now but I remember that one of the main things they said was that pets are great emotional support for a child for the very simple reason that they are a non judgemental and confidential listening ear! Apparently most children will happily tell their dog, cat, guinea pig... all their troubles that they might not be comfortable telling their parents. They used an example of one child who lost a parent and didnt want to upset her remaining parent by going over and over it so would talk to her dog about how sad and afraid she was and how just that alone had a huge impact on how well she handled it all and her emotional wellbeing in general. Tbf I remember hugging my gsds regularly as a child and leaving their 'manes' soaked with my tears over anything from a fight with my parents to a scraped knee! And god love them but they'd sit there patiently and just let me!

OK OK.... I still do this with my dog now in my 30s!!! She licks all my tears away!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I don't know about health wise but I read a study last year about the emotional impact of pets on children. I don't know how to find it now but I remember that one of the main things they said was that pets are great emotional support for a child for the very simple reason that they are a non judgemental and confidential listening ear! Apparently most children will happily tell their dog, cat, guinea pig... all their troubles that they might not be comfortable telling their parents. They used an example of one child who lost a parent and didnt want to upset her remaining parent by going over and over it so would talk to her dog about how sad and afraid she was and how just that alone had a huge impact on how well she handled it all and her emotional wellbeing in general. Tbf I remember hugging my gsds regularly as a child and leaving their 'manes' soaked with my tears over anything from a fight with my parents to a scraped knee! And god love them but they'd sit there patiently and just let me!

OK OK.... I still do this with my dog now in my 30s!!! She licks all my tears away!

I think we all still do this :o

And I spoke too soon with Coco and the ball - she "throws" the ball at you, ie throws her head in the air and bounces it towards you - she threw it today and it landed on top of Genie in the bouncer :D

Love seeing research like that. Puts into words what we animals lovers have always just known.
    Particularly like the last line from the first article. Very relevant to this thread...

Bottom line: you shouldn't get a pet expressly to protect your child from colds, but you also don't need to worry about getting rid of Fido out of fear that he may do harm by nuzzling up to your newborn.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Delighted to have accidentally come across this thread today. I'm due a baby next May please God and have been doing some online research on how to introduce the fur-less baby to our animal filled home. Great to read so many positive stories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Lets not forget that children raised in houses with dogs are less likely to develop asthma and have stronger immune systems...

Source: https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2013/12/110746/research-shows-how-household-dogs-protect-against-asthma-and-infection

Keep your dog but just make sure your safe around baby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Wondering if there is any research on children brought up in home with animals?! My daughter grew up in a house with dogs, in a garden with hens, and had ponies/horses. While growing up, our house was always very clean, but the child was pretty often filthy dirty/muddy/wet/unwashed, and outdoors pretty much all day long, hanging out with the animals. She was so rarely sick/ill, when we went to the doctor for a riding accident, aged around 18, the doctor said he assumed she had moved as he hadnt seen her since she was 4!!!!!!!!! Im convinced her immune system was enhanced by growing up with animals/outdoors.

Children who spend their first year living with dogs who go both inside and outside the house have been found to have 6 times lower the rate of common childhood illnesses in the first 10 years of life than children who do not live with dogs. I'm not sure exactly how the studies were done and whether or not the accounted for factors like artificial feeding, c-section births and group daycare as these are all factors in occurrence of common illnesses in children. But there does seem to be an undeniable link between pet ownership and human health as pet owners live an average of 3 years longer, have lower rates of heart disease, cancer and stroke and on average have easier faster recovery times when they do suffer from those illness.

Advertisement