Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Up the road!

• 28-03-2015 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭

So here I am.
    Inspired by advice in this thread, I think a log might give me a bit of accountability and something to ground myself on.

My current goals, no matter how long they'll take, are a 23 min 5k and a -50min 10k.
    Right now I'd be approx 27 mins for 5k and 58 for 10k. Approx.

Where I'm at training wise, has been a mess. So for the time being, I've dropped the garmin, stopped biting my nails over my pathetic times, changed my mental approach from 'training' to 'running', and it has already made a difference.
    Today was day one of 'falling in love with running again', and I did enjoy it. I set off after work with some music and my casio watch, and went for a 20 min jog. I didn't push it, didn't take it slow, I just ran. And I liked it.

And for the first time in a long time, I'm looking forward to doing the same thing tomorrow.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Hey, welcome! Delighted to see this log and looking forward to seeing a love story unfold :) Great start!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

Thanks Dubgal!

Another 20 mins today. Both with and against the lovely westerly atlantic winds. Didn't push it, again just enjoyed the trot. I focused on how my body felt, and it felt strong. Well, the lower half of it anyway!

It's amazing what you notice when you're not caught up in how fast/slow you're going. :)

It's proper raining out there. Hammering down it is. And I'm gonna run for 30 minutes cos I feel like it.
    So I do
    >.>.
    <.<.

Done.
    30 mins of wind, rain, puddles, and singing "if all the raindrops were lemon drops and gum drops..."
    I get extra points cos of the wind too, don't I?

I think I might fancy a small bit of speedwork this week.
    What would be best for someone who hasn't done fast stuff properly in a few months? Short intervals (200m) or longer ones (800m or 1k)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

If you are really feeling the need for speed...have you done any fartlek (literally, speed play) before? It's perfect to do without a watch and you can do it completely by what mood you're in: short bursts from lamp post to lamp post or 'here' to 'there', speed determined by how long the distance is. Recovery is whatever pace feels comfortable and for how long too. You up the intensity waaaay down the road. It's something that you can pre-plan or make up on the hoof. It's a great intro to speed. Enjoy ;)

ps nice rain running :D

• Advertisement

I have, way back when I started running first. Great idea. I'm mad to do a bit now, but it could be a whole different story tomorrow morning!
    Thanks missus :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

+1 on the Fartlek, really enjoyable and you end up pushing yourself more than you expect!

Welcome to world of logging, delighted to see you getting your grá for running back. Will follow with interest.

Did an odd version of fartlek this morning-

10 mins out the road with the wind at my back. Thought I was a right wee Derval O'Rourke so I did. :p
    Then I turned for home. That was gas craic- 11:30 it took to do the same distance into driving wind and hailstones hopping off my cheeks. That'll save me a bit on exfoliation this week.

"Always look on the bright side of life...do do...do do do do do do"
    :)

libelula wrote: »
    Did an odd version of fartlek this morning-

10 mins out the road with the wind at my back. Thought I was a right wee Derval O'Rourke so I did. :p
    Then I turned for home. That was gas craic- 11:30 it took to do the same distance into driving wind and hailstones hopping off my cheeks. That'll save me a bit on exfoliation this week.

"Always look on the bright side of life...do do...do do do do do do"
    :)

just think of it as resistance training thrown in for free :p

A lovely, head-clearing slow trot in the woods after a mental day in work. I think I'm a bit dehydrated though, I was tired and my body wasn't up for much.
    Still though, my head had a grand aul time :)

• Advertisement

You're such a nutcase Lula

<3

:pac:

:D

Went out to do 20 mins today. Came home after 40, just cos that's the why.
    I was slow, but feckin delighted with meself :)
    Six months ago 40 mins would have been a short run, it's mad how it feels like such an achievement now. Small steps.

Another 20 min jog with a wee bit of fartlek thrown in for the craic. Felt tired and sluggish after a busy day yesterday and a bad sleep, but I'm awake now!

What an absolutely gorgeous morning it is out there :)

My car's in the hospital today, so instead of accepting a lift home from Mr lula, I decided to run home from work.
    Took a nice slow 50 mins, and it's not a half bad way at all to get a run in. I'm only out of work an hour, and I'm home and have a good run under the belt.
    I can't run in, because we've no shower in work but I might try and work something like run home one evening and cycle in the following morning or something....

I've also tentatively agreed to do the An Post cycle next month. Not sure if it'll be the 60k or 100k yet but either way I'm gonna have to get a move on with training for that too :eek:

Going to start doing that myself now that my leg seems much improved. Run in some days and home others (I have a shower in work!). 10km done just getting before work or before dinner seems like a great idea.

60 mins done. I'd guess it was somewhere around 9/9.5k, handy enough pace for me.
    Felt good and strong, probably due to the fact that I only ran three times this week as I'm planning on cycling tomorrow.
    I wasn't bollixed when I finished, I felt could have carried on for another few km's. This makes me happy :)

30k cycle this morning. Felt good, but the hills killed me, I need to work on that. It'll only help with running too I suppose.
    I've 3 weeks to prepare for this 100k, so running won't be a priority until that's done. I'll still get minimum 3 runs in per week as well as a couple of cycles.

Guess who's back....garmin's back!

Today was -

1k slow warm up
    10 x 200m reps at +- 4:30/km (with a 1min recovery, is that too long? I waited until I fully had my breath back)
    1k cool down

I loved every minute of it. Yeeeaaooowwww

Too long for what?!!!!

• Advertisement

Too long for what?!!!!

I dunno, I don't think your recovery between reps is supposed to be much, as in you shouldn't start to cool down!

It's your first day back to timing yourself, relax missus and do what feels good for now ;)

It's your first day back to timing yourself, relax missus and do what feels good for now ;)

*Sits on couch with seven Terrys chocolate oranges being fcuking fabulous*

:pac:

OK and then you should probably go out for another run :P

libelula wrote: »
    I dunno, I don't think your recovery between reps is supposed to be much, as in you shouldn't start to cool down!

I haven't done 200m reps, but the plan i'm doing had 1m @ 5k pace with 3min recovery... so a minute doesn't sound bad to me. Also have done hill sprints (all of 8-9 secs running) with 3 minute standing recovery! I don't know all the science but recovery is essential... not to mention helps you catch your breath :)

annapr wrote: »
    I haven't done 200m reps, but the plan i'm doing had 1m @ 5k pace with 3min recovery... so a minute doesn't sound bad to me. Also have done hill sprints (all of 8-9 secs running) with 3 minute standing recovery! I don't know all the science but recovery is essential... not to mention helps you catch your breath :)

Sounds kinda like what I was thinking- thanks :)
    I was going at about 80-90% so if I hadn't caught my breath I wouldn't have finished out the 10.

43k cycle.
    I'm absolutely bayte.
    The end.

Went out to jog 5k, was home before I got 3 done.
    I think the cycling is really taking it out of me, either that or there's something else going on because I've been like the walking dead for the past few days.

Oh well, tomorrow will be a better day :)

70k covered on the bike in 3:21
    Going great up until 60k and we just slowed right down and pissed about.
    Laughed my way around, really enjoyed the evening :)

• Advertisement

5k at an average of 6:07/km
    Happy enough overall, my legs had nothing in them after Tuesdays cycle but around 3.5k into it they warmed up/loosened out and I picked up the pace a fair bit.
    The foam roller will be my friend tonight :)

Advertisement