Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Up the road!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Possible legs just a bit heavy still after those 200s ? Did you do the 5k this morning or yesterday ?

Just this morning, I'd guess you're right about it being the 200s- I'm not overly tired and I'm fed and hydrated so that's probably all it is :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

libelula wrote: »
    Just this morning, I'd guess you're right about it being the 200s- I'm not overly tired and I'm fed and hydrated so that's probably all it is :)

SLOW IS GOOD!!!! repeat 10x...

I'm betting those paces are in your easy/recovery range.

annapr wrote: »
    SLOW IS GOOD!!!! repeat 10x...

I'm betting those paces are in your easy/recovery range.

Aye, I'm sure you're right, though I did feel heavier than usual I'm probably not far off.
    Sure it can only get better from here! :)

Want to do some hillwork tonight and give the 10sec sprints a go like was suggested here.
    Normally I'd pick a big hill, (2-3 mins long) and do that 6 times. How would ye translate that to the shorter reps?

Bungy is the expert, but what we've done only needs a small hill and doesn't have to be that steep. pick a spot to start from, jog to the spot, then do the 8-10 sec sprint. Note where you stopped (trees are handy for this) and try to get back there on the reps.

Our plan called for 3 min standing recovery, which believe me, on your own feels very long and odd.

The sprint itself, you are supposed to focus on form, stay controlled, etc...

• Advertisement

Awesome, I'll try that. Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Bungy is the expert, but what we've done only needs a small hill and doesn't have to be that steep. pick a spot to start from, jog to the spot, then do the 8-10 sec sprint. Note where you stopped (trees are handy for this) and try to get back there on the reps.

Our plan called for 3 min standing recovery, which believe me, on your own feels very long and odd.

The sprint itself, you are supposed to focus on form, stay controlled, etc...

+1 to the above (apart from me being any sort of expert :o). The 3 min recovery is the most important bit (even if you do look like a loon hanging around talking to yourself :rolleyes:) because these short sprints are not about fitness, they're about form and specific muscle fibre recruitment (that's the science bit ;)). And if you're lucky, like Firedance and Aquinn you will attract admiration from good-looking passers by. Myself and annapr have not been so lucky :rolleyes:

Enjoy the session (and don't forget a decent warm up before you hit the hill!)

Thanks ladies, I bleedin' LOVED that session :)

2k warm-up and I did 10 x 10sec hill sprints with 3min recovery. I did feel like a total tool standing there, but after the first couple I got all zen and stood there listening to the birds and looking at plants and all that jazz. Standing still for 3 minutes is a very rare thing for me and it was lovely.

As for the sprints themselves, I got progressively faster up until about 7/8, then lost a few metres and felt like I'd nearly had enough so I stopped at 10 and jogged the 1.5k home.

We'll see tomorrow what kind of shape the legs are in, they're a biteen tingly right now.
    I be foam rollin' rollin' rollin' yo :pac:

7k slow and back to bed with a full belly and a cup of tea.
    Like a pig in shyte :)

7k slow and back to bed with a full belly and a cup of tea.
    Like a pig in shyte :)

green with envy here!

• Advertisement

Thanks ladies, I bleedin' LOVED that session :)

2k warm-up and I did 10 x 10sec hill sprints with 3min recovery. I did feel like a total tool standing there, but after the first couple I got all zen and stood there listening to the birds and looking at plants and all that jazz. Standing still for 3 minutes is a very rare thing for me and it was lovely.

As for the sprints themselves, I got progressively faster up until about 7/8, then lost a few metres and felt like I'd nearly had enough so I stopped at 10 and jogged the 1.5k home.

We'll see tomorrow what kind of shape the legs are in, they're a biteen tingly right now.
    I be foam rollin' rollin' rollin' yo :pac:

:) we should rename them the Zen hill sprints!

:) we should rename them the Zen hill sprints!

"Zen hill sprints (tm) and talking to the trees"
    I can see the book cover now. We'll be millionaires!

6k 'steady'. The wind together with my lack of discipline meant I pushed it a tad harder in parts.

5:45
    5:48
    5:53
    6:10
    6:01
    5:58

Avg hr is 165bpm.

6.5k today.
    Tried a speedwork session that I invented myself and it didn't really work :p
    Got a good run in though, and bumped into a running buddy for a few laps.
    The idea was 1.5k warm up, then 2 mins hard/4mins slow x 3. It was grand like, but I found two minutes very long. Maybe I should have started with 1 min reps and build them up over time...

11 x 10sec zen hillsprints. Loved it again :)

Today was a parkrun just to see where I'm at these days. I'd hoped/predicted for a 27:30 and snuck in just under that so I'm happy considering this week was a bit of a bust.
    I missed Tuesdays run so that mucked up the week in my head, then ran yesterday and came home after 2.5k cos my legs hadn't a bean of energy. Nearly didn't go this morning, but I did a good long warm up with a few drills and felt sort of ok so ploughed on.

Lessons learned- prioritise and don't let other people cause you to go to bed late and feck up your runs. They're important.
    Don't play catch-up.

6.4k today
    4k at what used to be my LT (I'm only guessing that's around what it is now until I get around to getting tested) and 2k of a hoor of a hill.
    Delirah with myself, got a good aul buzz off that run :)

was it a zen hoor?

was it a zen hoor?

:D
    Bigtime!

2k warm up, 10 x 200m sprints, 2k cooldown.
    It went really well and I'm only delighted with myself (even if I did angle it so as I didn't have to do them into the wind).
    I didn't go for specific times, but I kept the pace fairly bang on, and finished the last one not wanting to do one single more rep.
    For me that'll do nicely :o

• Advertisement

5k recovery jog. My legs felt 'ok' all day, but by jimminy they needed a good shakeout. As did my head, cos I was in a right aul funk today. They don't feel all that much better, but fingers crossed by tomorrow they will :)

Today was a day off work. Because that's the why, and tomorrow I'm going on HOLIDAYS to Edinburgh for the weekend. So I got my 'halfway down my back' hair cut up to 'not quite touching my shoulders'. Feel all brand new.

Today was also zen hill sprints day, what better day to try out my new hairstyle for speed and aerodynamic-ness.
    Ran along the sea front for 2.5k, then did 12 of the wee divils up a hill beside the pier. It was only glorious :)
    Then I came home and made a new strava segment (it's all about the segments round here lately) and registered for the Warriors Run.
    And now I'm going to stick on a big dirty roast for the dinner.

Have a good weekend errybuddy!

And we're going to stand at mile 25 of the edinburgh marathon and look at people struggling and frighten me into being a good girl and to train properly for the dublin marathon and then go to the finish line and see why it's allllll worth it in the end :D

HOLIDAYS

You already know why it's all worth it in the end ;)
    We'll stand at mile 22. That's where shít gets real.
    Mile 25 is elation and "I can walk a mile and 200 yards, I'm deffo finishing this thing" :D

Nice slow 10k through the meadows in Edinburgh. It's only feckin fabulous here, glorious weather.

Off out now for a nice boozy lunch to undo all the good work :)

This week was a stepback week, same intensity but less mileage. Last week I did 33km, so this week I wanted to do around 30. I was travelling all day Monday, so that condensed the week a bit for me. In hindsight maybe I should have done only four runs, but lengthened them? Tis done now anyway :)

Tuesday - 6k tempo.
    Hard and windy but got through it. Kept it reasonably flat, the wind did the work. It was hard to control the hr but it averaged out alright in the end.

Wednesday - 6 x 300m (5k)
    Felt ok, think the splits were alright. Didn't really look into how long they'd take, but did it mostly by feel due to deciding at the last minute to do those instead of my usual 200's.

Thurs - 5k easy
    Very easy. Did it at 7:30am so it was a shuffle more than anything else. Deliberately kept it quite slow. Felt tired after only doing speed stuff the night before. Rest now until Friday evening :)

Fri - 8 x 10 sec hills 3min rec -6k

I very nearly didn't do this run, I had tired legs all day. Did some stretching and convinced myself to just get out and do 'something', even a slow few km's. First km was very slow and heavy, but after that I was away with it. Jogged 4km to a 1.8km rolling hill and sprinted 10sec up one, shuffled along to the next, 3 min recovery and so on. It worked pretty well, only downside was that its a fairly busy wee road so traffic watching became part of the run. Did see a birds nest on one of the recoveries :)
    A man on a bike fecked up my last two sprints/recoveries by stopping for a chat. I think he thought I was bolloxed (standing at the bottom of a hill withyour hands on your hips will do that) and overstayed his quick chat welcome until I just kinda jogged away. Got them done in the end, after I shook off my new training buddy.

Felt good after, legs are much better than they were all day. Glad I didnt skip it now, that was a good call.

Sun - 8k with 4 x 30 sec surges
    Still a biteen tired after a trip to Croke Park yesterday, spent the day roarin' me head off (and a couple of drinks last night), but it was a glorious morning so there was no way I wasn't getting up to run. I'll have a nap later :p
    So off I trotted along the shore. Was keeping the heart rate nice and low until I hit a strava segment I knew and decided to race the bleedin' thing. :rolleyes: Copped myself on again after that bit of craic and finished the last 4km with a 30 sec surge at the end of each.

Happy enough with that week, between work and other busy-ness it was a mad one, but it's done now and I feel good.
    Next Sunday is a 5k race so I haven't planned this weeks runs yet but I'll need to behave myself and prepare well for it. It's a lovely flattish course and roads I know well, so there's the potential to put a big grin on my face if I keep the head..

During yesterdays slow run, I found myself singing the alphabet out loud to make sure I was going slowly enough.

You know those moments when you're fairly sure you've finally, completely and utterly lost the plot? Yeah, that was one of those...

During yesterdays slow run, I found myself singing the alphabet out loud to make sure I was going slowly enough.

You know those moments when you're fairly sure you've finally, completely and utterly lost the plot? Yeah, that was one of those...

I'm pretty sure Beyonce's dad used to make her sing while doing laps around the block. Didn't do her any harm. Although I think it was to improve her singing not her running ;)

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Beyonce's dad used to make her sing while doing laps around the block. Didn't do her any harm. Although I think it was to improve her singing not her running ;)

Jaysus if I had her legs, let alone her voice :pac:

• Advertisement

Jaysus if I had her legs, let alone her voice :pac:

Maybe that's how she got them. Singing and running combo - keep it up :D

Advertisement