Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Up the road!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Go back out for another run. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

Ruu wrote: »
    Go back out for another run. :)

Couldn't do that, sure the chops'd burn to a crisp! :pac:

18k lsr in the back pocket.
    I went out with a pace in mind - 6:30/km, and played a little pacing game with myself where I got to slow down a little at the end of each km to get as close as possible to it.
    I know, I know, I shouldn't be running to strict times but it was good craic :)
    6 x 30sec strides in the last 6km messed up my pretty picture a bit though!

So the great north run is out I'm afraid. Family funeral this weekend, so travelling for four days next week just isn't gonna happen. It's a pity, I was really looking forward to it but sure that's life :)

So now. Amidst all the madness this weekend, my mind is drifting to my new goal of getting some fast 5k and 10k races and picking a plan to follow. It's a lovely distraction, and I'm excited.

When I've THE PLAN in place I'll post it for feedback.

Feels like every time I get my teeth into something running related, something jumps up in the way of it. I'd be only thrilled if I got an uninterrupted 6 weeks of training before the year is out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭Slideways

Flatline half in Athlone on the 12th and it's only 90mins down the road ;)

• Advertisement

Slideways wrote: »
    Flatline half in Athlone on the 12th and it's only 90mins down the road ;)

Wild Atlantic Way half is closer ;)

Wild Atlantic Way half is closer ;)

Not doing that, it's a corporate event thats trying to muscle in on the Sligo AC run Coast to Coast 10 mile where profits go to local charities.

I won't do another half now at this stage, that ship has sailed for this year I'm afraid :)

Coney Island Challenge, sadly won't be home until Christmas.

Ruu wrote: »
    Coney Island Challenge, sadly won't be home until Christmas.

Oh yeah, that's worth a shout this year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

libelula wrote: »
    Oh yeah, that's worth a shout this year :)

new york's a long way to go for a race.... ;)

• Advertisement

Don't you be putting ideas in my head ya divil ya :)

Bring it :cool:

For the next 4.5 weeks I have [shhhh] triathlon [/ssshhhh] training on wednesdays and sundays. Wednesdays Im gonna use as active recovery cos we only do a short cycle and a short run which I may skip and do extra cycling....
    And I'll have swimming on Sundays.

I might be absolutely knackered, but I'll give it a go and be careful not to overtrain.

Havent a clue what kinda time I'll do 10k in in November, but I'll know in another six weeks or so :)

Edit: this is a ten week plan, Ive only fitted the first seven into that screenshot.

45 mins easy - at avg heart rate of 154. Would have liked it a few beats less, but I'm blaming the hills >.>.

10 min w/u
    10 x 45sec sprints
    10 min c/d

FEEEEEEEEDD MEEEEE

Wednesday

8k cycle, strength and conditioning session, 2k run. It doesnt sound like a lot, but I was wiped afterwards! Opened my eyes as to the imminent need to do more core work...

Friday

10 min warm up, 6 x 2 mins, 10 min cool down. Hard session. I did it on the beach, which didnt make it any easier, but the view was only spectacular:)

Sat

30 min recovery run. Slow, like stupid slow. Again, lovely enjoyable run.

Sun

45 min stupid slow run followed by an hour long hard as hell swim session. I'm absolutely bet into the couch now and happy out :)

45 min slow today,

500m in I had rain dripping off my nose, it was absolutely brilliant :D
    Tipping slowly along just taking it all in.

'Cept I started doing some visualisations in the middle of it, of myself in races etc., and made a hames of my 'slow easy hr pace' for a wee while. Lovely to just let go and forget you're running sometimes.

Small niggle in the middle of the sole on my left foot though, about halfway through the run it felt like a backwards cramp, I stopped and curled my toes in to relieve it. Weird one, I've never had that before. I can sort of feel it now when I stretch my foot out, might be a wee pulled ligament or tendon maybe?

*shrug*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Not giving you medical advice but I've had sole of foot niggles in the past and found gently rolling a tennis ball under the foot eases it nicely so might be worth a try. Obviously if you think it's an injury.....
    I'm with you on the rain-running! Love it!

Don't tell the novices but I'm praying for rain on October 26th :p

Ososlo wrote: »
    Not giving you medical advice but I've had sole of foot niggles in the past and found gently rolling a tennis ball under the foot eases it nicely so might be worth a try. Obviously if you think it's an injury.....
    I'm with you on the rain-running! Love it!

Thanks missus, my foot did a little "yes please!" when I read that suggestion! Doing it now while the dog looks puzzled that Ive nicked his tennis ball :p

Nah I don't think it's an injury, probably just a small niggle that'll vanish again. :)

Don't tell the novices but I'm praying for rain on October 26th :p

so long as it's not accompanied by October gales! would have paid for rain last year!

Libelula... good to see you back in action and enjoying it!

• Advertisement

annapr wrote: »
    Libelula... good to see you back in action and enjoying it!

Thanks Anna, that's my last layoff- I feel too good this week to let it slip again :)

Mon

45 min easy. Puddle splashin weather. 500m in, I had rain dripping off my nose. Loved it :)

Tues

10 min w/u, 10 x 45 sec, 10 min cooldown.
    Was good, felt good and strong. The last two were damn hard, so that's a good thing :p

Wed

Triathlon training. Jesus Christ they nearly killed us.
    4 mile cycle to warm up, then 2 mile cycle, straight into 3 hill sprints, back on the bike for 2 miles, then 3 hill sprints, then a 2.5k recovery run. Swapping disciplines like that is damn hard!

Thurs

Rest day.
    (Walked about 200 miles at De Ploughin :rolleyes: )

Fri

Very easy 30 mins. I was still stiff and sore so it took a while for the legs to come around and play ball. I was physically wrecked from Thursday too, so twas a tough aul 30 mins.

Sat

40 mins easy.
    This was sound, just tipped out the road and back again, lovely day for it. Felt good on the couple of wee hills I hit, like I breezed up them.

Sun

60 mins easy. Disaster of a first half! I brought the dog with me to see if he'd be any good of a running buddy. There's potential there, but between towing me too fast up hills, pulling me over to try and say hello to a few sexay bitchez on the beach, and "needing" a wee every 500m, my heart rate was all over the shop and I was getting nowhere fast.

So I looped back and dropped him off home and did the second half by myself. Much more productive!

Went down then to watch the end of the Coast to Coast and motivate myself a bit:)

Good week overall, I worked hard, ate and slept well. Still have a swim session to get through later on, but I'm on the couch now eating popcorn and watching rugby :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Nice week's training!

Thanks O!

I'm content and sore today. Missed feeling like this :)

Monday

45 mins slow. Very slow. Enjoyed this one, it was after a busy day in work so well appreciated. Can't really remember the run itself so it must've felt ok! :o

Wednesday

Triathlon stuff. Cycling, hill reps, and circuits. Died :)

Thurs

30 mins easy. Felt ok on this, strong and slow- I don't know how much sense that makes :p

Fri

This was 10 min easy/10 min threshold for 50 mins. I'm not sure why, but I found it difficult to hold the threshold hr. It felt more like a 5k pace. I was putting it down to the fact that I haven't run at any kind of fast pace for anything more than 45sec intervals in a long time, and that it'll get easier to hold that the further I get into the plan, right? Has to get easier.
    Now there's a little story developing here. After that run, I got back to my mams house and immediately grabbed my brothers ventolin. I was feeling a little short of breath and blamed the heat/humidity outside.

Sat

30 min easy. Now while this was easy, I felt I had to use the ventolin again in the morning. Again, passed no huge heed of it :rolleyes: During the run I felt good, kept the effort easy, but my hr was about ten beats above what it felt like my edfort was, if that makes sense?
    Got home and started thinking I must be fighting some sort of something...

Sun

Started out to do 75 mins easy, was apprehensive while fizzing with energy, but as suspected was back home after 500m. Just couldnt get a good deep breath in. Breathing has been on/off laboured all day, and I skipped tonights swimming lesson. Because I have no pain, no lack of energy, no cough, none of the usual signs of a chest infection, I'm dubious. I had asthma as a kid, and am hoping for the life of me that it's not making a comeback. So fingers crossed it's just an odd little infection.
    I'll see how things are tomorrow and pay the gp a visit if it's no better.

Mad to get out for a run, I'm like a caged animal today :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Hope it's nothing more than a temporary blip.

Bungy Girl wrote: »

Me too, thanks BG.
    We'll see what it develops into tomorrow :)

Bungy Girl wrote: »

+1 hope you're ok, better to take it easy

Went to the gp this morning. I was fairly breathless and freaking out last night so it had to be done.

He did all the tests, poked and prodded and my heart and lungs are top notch. No infection, no temperature, no congestion, no nathin'.
    He's put it down to a virus and said no running until I feel 100% ok.
    So at least it's nothing serious and I'll be grand in a few days :)

• Advertisement

All better :)
    Taking one more day off cos that's the rules, then I'm thinking all shortish and easy stuff until Monday where I'll pick up on the plan again.
    Might repeat last week as I missed the long run...

Thurs

30 mins easy. It was a funny, disjointed one, as I had to nip back home after 7-8 mins to go to the loo :rolleyes: then another ten mins later I thought I saw 'something' in bother in the sea, so had to go investigate. Turns out it was just a new buoy I hadn't seen before. Still, got 30 mins done :)

Sat

75 mins easy. I absolutely loved every minute of this. So much so that on an out and back course I forgot myself and turned late. Away in my own little world, tipping away. I was tempted to push on for 90 mins but didn't, cos of that "sticking to the plan" crap :p

Sun

Swimming session. Did a time trial of ten lengths (250m) as well as loads of other drills etc., and came away disappointed with my time. Then I realised that six weeks ago there wouldnt have been a HOPE of me swimming ten lengths, let alone the multiple warm up and cool down and drill lengths, so I've actually done well. Yes. I admit it. Lula has done well :eek:

Mon

45 min easy.
    Brought the dog again. He's getting good, but does drag me *slightly* faster than I want to go, and tows me up hills like it's his job to get me up them in record time. So after almost 30 mins I ditched him back home with a bonio and finished it out alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Went to the gp this morning. I was fairly breathless and freaking out last night so it had to be done.

He did all the tests, poked and prodded and my heart and lungs are top notch. No infection, no temperature, no congestion, no nathin'.
    He's put it down to a virus and said no running until I feel 100% ok.
    So at least it's nothing serious and I'll be grand in a few days :)

Some good news there from your doctor, what a relief. :D:D

Some good news there from your doctor, what a relief. :D:D

Well.....I'm still not right :/
    It still comes and goes, I could feel it running last night, and this morning when I woke up. Both very different circumstances, so I've had every thought about it from sports-induced asthma to anxiety, to the virus theory which I'm gonna stick with for now. I know virusseses (viri??!) can hang around for a few weeks so I'll wait off on going to the gp again for another week or so.

But its not stopping me run, so thats all that matters :pac:

Tues

10 min w/u, 4 x 5 min, 10 min c/d

This was tough, but enjoyable. The plan was for 5 mins at max pace, but I thought that was a bit much (softie) and did it at 'fairly hard' instead. Went well and was pretty consistent, but the c/d was mostly uphill. That sucked :p

Wed

Bike & Run
    5 mile cycle followed straight away by a 4k(ish) run. It was our last triathlon session together so it was a bit sad finishing. Loved those murderous sessions... so I came home and signed up for 8 weeks of the Tri club Turbo/S&C sessions. Imma die, but I'm assured I'll die with smokin' hot legs :p

Fri

Leg rub. Got given out to for letting my legs get as tight as they were, I didn't realise until she went at me :o

Sat

20 min leg-loosener. Uneventful, couldnt go very slowly though, I was chomping for today.

Sun

Try-a-Tri day :D

I was absolutely bricking it all morning, but today went so well, I'm a biteen emotional. The swim went absolutely perfectly, I just tipped along and completely surprised myself. I was in wave 1 (slowpokes), and I was first out of the pool. First. Me. I got out of the pool first. I can't believe how much I've improved, I'm pure delighted.

The bike went well too, got caught by a couple of people but I knew that'd happen. Just plodded along.

The run was nothing but funny, my legs didnt really work :p I kept telling them to hurry up but they were like jelly for most of it and were having none of it. At one turnaround point a marshall muttered to me "catch her" while pointing at the girl 200m ahead of me but I just hadn't got it in me to reign her in. I got closer, but not enough. With about 300m to go, another girl passed me. I tried to fight her off, but again I just couldnt do it.
    So third to cross the finish line, and sixth position overall. Can't wait to get all the splits for a good analysis.
    It's been unreal motivation to train like a beast now for the winter. I'm itching to get into a good 5k/10k soon. Bring it on!

Well done on the try/tri... ! You're buzzing on it!

Hope the virus has been banished.

• Advertisement

annapr wrote: »
    Well done on the try/tri... ! You're buzzing on it!

Hope the virus has been banished.

Thank you!!
    Buzzing while dead on the couch- I'm sure you know the feeling well yourself :D

Thank you!!
    Buzzing while dead on the couch- I'm sure you know the feeling well yourself :D

Yep. That describes pretty much every Sunday during marathon training :D

So proud <3

Good on ya!

Quick update- I've been too busy training to post here :pac:

Running, swimming and turbo'ing, and absolutely loving it.
    May do a parkrun on Sat, that'll give me a good idea of where I'm at.

• Advertisement

Right, I've skipped a couple of weeks posting cos I'm a lazy git. I'll start again from this week.

Monday

50 mins easy was what my plan said. But dunderhead here just couldn't slow down, it was a beautiful evening and well, I just kinda went for it so it turned into a steady-almost tempo run.
    Loved it, so pfft. Screw the rulez.

Tuesday

10 min w/u, 6 x 2 mins, 4 x 1 mins, and 10 mins cooldown. This was torturous hell, I ran till I felt sick, then I ran some more. The paces were reasonably consistent though, which is good. I left the park buzzing like a small dog and I haven't really come down since. I've a fierce power surge running through me this week, and although my legs are giving out, it's a damn nice feeling :)

Wed

Got up early and went for a gentle swim and a jacuzzi. I was conscious that I'm not being kind to my body this week by training like a lunatic so the jacuzzi really helped.

Wed evening was Turbo class, which is 10 min bike warm up, tabatta session (shudder), then about 50 mins of various 'stuff' on the bike. Followed by 10 mins of a relaxing stretch session.
    Tbh I felt the hard work in the legs, and just hadnt the power to give it welly. I'll have to change around my running session day so that doesnt happen again.

Am I allowed whinge in my log?

My fookin stomach muscles are so sore. And my glutes are twitching in a not sexy way. Life was easier when I only ran :pac:

You can whinge but will most likely be told to htfu. :D<3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I've been reading through your log for the last couple of days, really enjoying it! I had a similar experience to you after I did Cork Marathon in 2013, was disappointed in my time and felt a bit over trained and fed up and really fell out of love with running. Now, my sabbatical went on a bit longer than it should cos I had a baby along the way! But I'm getting back in to it now and your log is inspiring me to throw some speed sessions into my training (I did the P&D 55m plan for CCM and I HATED the speed sessions!) Hoping I grow to love them as much as you!

ncmc wrote: »
    I've been reading through your log for the last couple of days, really enjoying it! I had a similar experience to you after I did Cork Marathon in 2013, was disappointed in my time and felt a bit over trained and fed up and really fell out of love with running. Now, my sabbatical went on a bit longer than it should cos I had a baby along the way! But I'm getting back in to it now and your log is inspiring me to throw some speed sessions into my training (I did the P&D 55m plan for CCM and I HATED the speed sessions!) Hoping I grow to love them as much as you!

Ah that's lovely, but jaysus I'm far from inspiring- amazing what words can do though! Thank you :)
    Good on you getting back at it after the arrival, I just don't know how new mums do it and take a bow to you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Ah that's lovely, but jaysus I'm far from inspiring- amazing what words can do though! Thank you :)
    Good on you getting back at it after the arrival, I just don't know how new mums do it and take a bow to you!
    Thanks, but she's 17 months old! I'm a disgrace that it's taken so long to get back to it. Just had no interest, I suppose my priorities changed. But I'm rearing to go now!

280m slow and steady swim tonight, followed by a jacuzzi to myself so used all the jets. One on each major leg muscle group :pac:
    My legs were tight all day but they feel much better now.
    The swims are only small, but I'm gonna slowly increase them. Great cross training I hear. *nods*

280m slow and steady swim tonight, followed by a jacuzzi to myself so used all the jets. One on each major leg muscle group :pac:
    My legs were tight all day but they feel much better now.
    The swims are only small, but I'm gonna slowly increase them. Great cross training I hear. *nods*

I heard the same thing.

*posted from my car waiting for pool to open*

:D

I heard the same thing.

*posted from my car waiting for pool to open*

:D

At 06:21? Holy **** you got it bad.

At 06:21? Holy **** you got it bad.

Way too much energy. Looking forward to running at the weekend :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement