Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advertising you house for rent on the internet

Options
  • 28-03-2015 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

My brother lives abroad and also has a house near me here in ireland. He now has got the idea that he might put the house on some internet site for rent. Not entirley sure but i think the people stay one or two nights and then move on. He wants me to keep an eye on it for him Tidy up change sheets ect

Has anyone any experience of doing this ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

lulu1 wrote: »
    My brother lives abroad and also has a house near me here in ireland. He now has got the idea that he might put the house on some internet site for rent. Not entirley sure but i think the people stay one or two nights and then move on. He wants me to keep an eye on it for him Tidy up change sheets ect

Has anyone any experience of doing this ?

Sounds like Air Bnb to me. As he is overseas it's an interesting tax situation. You need proper advice on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

athtrasna wrote: »
    Sounds like Air Bnb to me. As he is overseas it's an interesting tax situation. You need proper advice on that one.

It's the brother who needs the tax advice

The op needs to think about the implications for his / her own lifestyle of having to hand out keys, answer tourist questions and do extra house work.

If it were me, I'd want to be paid for my time. But that may not be what the brother has in mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Air BnB is not a case of clean the sheets and make sure the bins are empty. People expect the place to be very clean and flexible times checking in. If you have bad reviews, people wont stay with you. Its like staying in a hotel but instead you stay in an apartment/house. I get the impression that the people being checked in want advice and service beyond here is the keys.

Revenue have ruled that Air BnB is liable for income tax etc as a rental property and the rent a room scheme doesn't apply. Honestly I think you are signing up for a lot of work with doing Air Bnb for your brother

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Thanks everyone for your comments. I have never heard of this type of renting All he told me in a phone call was that there wouldn't be much to do, just keep an eye on things, change sheets, tidy up (his words) but like other comments I really think there will be much more to it than that. And another thing if the b/brs weren't happy who would be getting the earfull, muggins here. He reckons it will be at least 2 months before he can get it sorted, so I will say nothing until i know for sure its going ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Id avoid it like the plague tbh, these types of "idea" are always a disaster, where somebody dreams up a plan and asks you to do the leg work for them, the "its only a phonecall and a tidy up" shows its not much thought.

Whos going to be waiting around all evening to hand keys over ? There could be 3 guests one week and none thr next

Who has to deal with the fussy guests who will have you driving down to tescos for soap in the evening.

Whos going to have clean up the occasional nasty mess or deal with arseholes ?

• Advertisement

imitation wrote: »
    Id avoid it like the plague tbh, these types of "idea" are always a disaster, where somebody dreams up a plan and asks you to do the leg work for them, the "its only a phonecall and a tidy up" shows its not much thought.

Whos going to be waiting around all evening to hand keys over ? There could be 3 guests one week and none thr next

Who has to deal with the fussy guests who will have you driving down to tescos for soap in the evening.

Let me tell you there will be no driving to tescos for me, our nearest one is an hour away:) Yea I know your right we might have planned to go out for the evening and the phone will ring b/brs coming in an hour. The more I think of it the less i like it. You would have to be on call most of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Let me tell you there will be no driving to tescos for me, our nearest one is an hour away:) Yea I know your right we might have planned to go out for the evening and the phone will ring b/brs coming in an hour. The more I think of it the less i like it. You would have to be on call most of the day.

Yeah, I would read up on peoples air bnb experiences, I would also keep that info and show your brother, hes probably just doesnt realise how much actual work there involved and how open ended a commitment it is. A far more fair arrangement would be to just rent the house through an agency, and your sibling love can extend to odd check-up to make sure the house isn't getting wrecked rather than tri-weekly house clean-ups.

I can actually give an example where I was the awkward guest actually, I was staying with some mates in a hostel, we got about 3 missed calls that day asking what time we were coming at (international calls for them no less), we had a 3 hour drive to get there and were doing typically touristy things, so we said like 8. We got another call at 8 when we didn't show as we were slow. We only realised when we arrived at 9 that the hostel was actually just a apartment and the dude had to scooter across town from the actual hostel to open it up for us.

Yeah, I would read up on peoples air bnb experiences, I would also keep that info and show your brother, hes probably just doesnt realise how much actual work there involved and how open ended a commitment it is. A far more fair arrangement would be to just rent the house through an agency, and your sibling love can extend to odd check-up to make sure the house isn't getting wrecked rather than tri-weekly house clean-ups.

I can actually give an example where I was the awkward guest actually, I was staying with some mates in a hostel, we got about 3 missed calls that day asking what time we were coming at (international calls for them no less), we had a 3 hour drive to get there and were doing typically touristy things, so we said like 8. We got another call at 8 when we didn't show as we were slow. We only realised when we arrived at 9 that the hostel was actually just a apartment and the dude had to scooter across town from the actual hostel to open it up for us.

The reason he dosen't want to rent it full time is because he comes home to it himself about 3 times a year

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

He wants me to keep an eye on it for him Tidy up change sheets ect
    Charge a fixed amount for your time, tbh, as otherwise it'll be him getting the cash, and you getting the grief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

The reason he dosen't want to rent it full time is because he comes home to it himself about 3 times a year

I cant see that being a logical reason. He might as well rent it to someone for 12 months and then use Air BnB/ dream ireland for the odd week that he is here

• Advertisement

Just had a look at air b/b and from what I can make out they all provide a cooked breakfast or maybe that is the guests that stay in your home. There is no way that I will be cooking. The more I think about it it's alot of work to ask anyone to take on but I know that he has not really sat down and thought this through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Just had a look at air b/b and from what I can make out they all provide a cooked breakfast or maybe that is the guests that stay in your home. There is no way that I will be cooking. The more I think about it it's alot of work to ask anyone to take on but I know that he has not really sat down and thought this through

There are two types of Air BnB - one is people renting out rooms in their houses, one is entire house/apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Who has to deal with the fussy guests who will have you driving down to tesocos for soap in the evening.

That's all very easy, get s key lock so guests can let themselves in,

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-5400D-Set-Your-Own-Combination/dp/B0002YP1VC

Then line up a cleaner with a key, hassle.com are recommended with a little bit of relationshup built they can be on call with a text.

I've rented several places off owners direct where the owner pistes me the key or just told me to collect it from a local shop/bar

Advertisement