Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I use 14W bulb in light that states max of 11W?

Options
  • 28-03-2015 1:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭

Purchased an adjustable light from Amazon - uses E27 bulb - product information says to use max. 11W energy saving bulb or max. 40W regular bulb.

I have a 14W energy saving bulb (gives me 65W) - can I use this bulb or could it cause damage to the light?

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It is not advisable to ignore manufacturers instructions. These seem quite specific, I woul take it there is a valid reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I doubt 3 watts would make a difference.

Maybe it's a physical size thing, although incandescent bulbs themselves can tolerate heat better than cfl bulbs. Its obviously not the light fitting itself that is of concern if it can take a 40 watt incandescent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭LeBash

Id stick with what it says. They didnt put the information on it for no reason. I assume there is a dimmer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

odckdo wrote: »
    Purchased an adjustable light from Amazon - uses E27 bulb - product information says to use max. 11W energy saving bulb or max. 40W regular bulb.

I have a 14W energy saving bulb (gives me 65W) - can I use this bulb or could it cause damage to the light?

Cheers.

The max from an electrical point of view is 40W incandescent (traditional) bulb, probably due to heat rather than the electrical connections in the fitting.

A 14W energy saver would be fine, will give off a fraction of the heat of a 40W bulb. BTW your 14W energy saver is the equivalent in light terms of a 65W incandescent bulb.

LeBash wrote: »
    They didnt put the information on it for no reason.

It would be interesting to knows why an item which uses 11 watts is OK, so is another that uses 40 watts, but not one which uses 14 watts.

• Advertisement

The max from an electrical point of view is 40W incandescent (traditional) bulb, probably due to heat rather than the electrical connections in the fitting.

A 14W energy saver would be fine, will give off a fraction of the heat of a 40W bulb. BTW your 14W energy saver is the equivalent in light terms of a 65W incandescent bulb.

The max of 40 watts will be heat limit rather than electrical limit most likely alright. Its only 0.17 amps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

Its this adjustable lamp from Amazon:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Premier-Housewares-Metal-Floor-Lamp/dp/B00ATLJLQ4/ref=sr_1_2?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1427649549&sr=1-2&keywords=Premier+Housewares+Adjustable+Metal+Floor+Lamp

In the Amazon product description it states E27 40W - no mention of wattage limit if using a energy saving bulb but manfacturer's instructions say max 11W.

Also Amazon suggest this 20W energy saving bulb when purchasing lamp:-

"Ecozone Biobulb, Energy-Saving Daylight Bulb, Screw Cap E27, 25W Equivalent to 100w, 1750 Lumens, Full Spectrum, Daylight White 6500k, Uses 75% Less Energy. Ideal for suffers of S.A.D [Energy Class A]"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ecozone-Energy-Saving-Daylight-Equivalent-Spectrum/dp/B000F5FNXO/ref=pd_bxgy_light_text_y

I'll send an email to manufacturer out of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Bruthal wrote: »
    It would be interesting to knows why an item which uses 11 watts is OK, so is another that uses 40 watts, but not one which uses 14 watts.
    Perhaps the 11w is listed as a guide to provide the same amount of light as the max incandescent lamp?
    As in, the manufacturer thinks a 40w equivalent is all this lamp should output from a lumens point of view.
    It is an odd recommendation either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The issue will be to do with heat output by the bulb. If it's too hot, it might damage the shade or fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

SpaceTime wrote: »
    The issue will be to do with heat output by the bulb. If it's too hot, it might damage the shade or fitting.
    How will a 14w energy saving bulb output more heat than a 40w incandescent?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 124 ✭✭Dark sun

cast_iron wrote: »
    How will a 14w energy saving bulb output more heat than a 40w incandescent?

It won't not even close, it would be perfectly fine with a 14w energy saver bulb.
    I wouldn't worry too much.

cast_iron wrote: »
    Perhaps the 11w is listed as a guide to provide the same amount of light as the max incandescent lamp?

Yes I'd say that's probably what they have done.

Sent off a couple of emails today.

Amazon refunded me the price of the 14W bulb.

The lamp was sold directly by Amazon and provided by Premier Homewares and someone else manufactured.

1st email from Premier Homewares:-
    "We recommend the bulb wattage, as advised by the manufacturer. In this instance it is 11w (old equivelant 60w). We would only recommend as per the manufacturer."

I pointed out the incorrect product description on Amazon.

2nd email:-
    "Thanks for this info. I can only assume the manufacturer has stated a lower value bulb, purely for safety/ecological reasons. Before the change to the regs for table/standard lamp bulbs, most would take up to 100w (depending on the type of shade). I do believe this is still the case for most lamps, including this one."

I then asked could I use the 14W bulb I bought for the lamp (mentioned above).

3rd email:
    "I do not see why not – only concern I would have is that the length from the end of the bulb holder to the rim of the shade is 7.5cms – which may mean that the bulb will protrude below the shade."

Meant to ask you if I use that 14W bulb and only use the lamp a few hours at a time, what is the worst that could happen: shade overheating or maybe bulb blowing?

The lamp and the electrics wouldn't get damaged?

odckdo wrote: »
    Meant to ask you if I use that 14W bulb and only use the lamp a few hours at a time, what is the worst that could happen: shade overheating or maybe bulb blowing?

The lamp and the electrics wouldn't get damaged?

Nothing will happen. It will work fine. If the bulb did "blow", it won't be from overheating due to the lamp specifications.

Advertisement