Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High capacity rifle magazine

Options
  • 28-03-2015 4:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭

Are high capacity magazine legal to own but illegal to use

Or

Both illegal to own and use, assuming you don't have a restricted licence in both cases.

It's a question that's puzzled me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

hexosan wrote: »
    Are high capacity magazine legal to own but illegal to use

Or

Both illegal to own and use, assuming you don't have a restricted licence in both cases.

It's a question that's puzzled me

Non legal opinion - I think it's not illegal to own, but illegal to have in your possession without a restricted licence.

For example, fine to own as long as it is stored in a gun dealers. Take it out of the gun dealers, then you need the restricted licence.

I'm open to correction on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Legal to own and use if you are on a restricted license.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Non legal opinion - I think it's not illegal to own, but illegal to have in your possession without a restricted licence.

For example, fine to own as long as it is stored in a gun dealers. Take it out of the gun dealers, then you need the restricted licence.

I'm open to correction on that though.

In the above example if you can't have it and can't use it well then it's not in your possession

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Depends on what you mean by "high capacity" and what firearm you're talking about and what licence you have.

Sparks wrote: »
    Depends on what you mean by "high capacity" and what firearm you're talking about and what licence you have.

Rifle over 10

• Advertisement

Rifle over 10

What kind of rifle?

Sparks wrote: »
    What kind of rifle?

Ruger 10/22 the 25 round mags

Without a restricted licence, yes, they're illegal to possess.
    Technically you could own them; just not possess them (ie, they're in a dealer's lockup and if sold you get the proceeds, but you can't ever take them out of the lockup as yourself or use them).

(there are exceptions to this for other kinds of magazines and rifles, obviously - if you had a .243 bolt action with a 30 round magazine, that's unrestricted and perfectly fine, for example, though I can't think of a real-world example of that off the top of my head)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

In the above example if you can't have it and can't use it well then it's not in your possession

Exactly.

You can own it, but not possess it without the appropriate licence.

I own 2 unlicenced guns that I have in storage with a gun dealer. I can own them, but I can't possess or use either gun unless I licence them.

Same applies to your 25 shot magazine.

Advertisement