Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock Sounds That Sound Similar

Options
  • 28-03-2015 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

We've all heard them. Songs that are in no way covers but vaguely remind us of another well known track. Wondered whether people thought there was a little "hidden inspiration" in these situations or whether they were just hoping nobody would notice. After all, only so many chords.

Up first, listen to the start of Doolin Dalton by The Eagles

And next, the opening chords of Sailing by Rod Stewart

I'm sure you can think of many more examples

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Radiohead's Air that I breathe creep.

Also, the Green Day song that's starts off da,da, pause, da,da pause etc is like Chicago's 25,6,4

Smoke on the water's riff is from some old bossa nova tune.

Eric Clapton and the YMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

fiachr_a wrote: »
    Also, the Green Day song that's starts off da,da, pause, da,da pause etc is like Chicago's 25,6,4

"Brainstew" is indeed similar to "25 or 4 to 6" although that in itself is very similar to Led Zepellins "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You".

Green Day in fact appear to be very "inspired". Main riff in "Walking Contradiction" is prevalent at 45 seconds into this Kinks song...

From the off on "Picture Book" Green Day have come up with great ideas...

The intro to "Jackass" was again very similar to another Kinks track...

You could actually put together an album of songs which "inspired" Green Day.

Main offenders indeed...

"American Idiot" some may argue their biggest song...the Korean clip my personal fave :D:D

Puddle of Mudd also released their most well known song shortly before that "American Idiot" came out...

....Anyway where was I oh ya Green Day....

Oasis themselves took "inspiration" this one so much so it got them sued, The New Seekers song was used in a Coca Cola advert after being sued one of the Oasis members joked "We now drink Pepsi".

An obvious one again Oasis...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Jesus Christ there should be a limit on how many Youtube videos one can include in a single post.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mark13

The obvious example is Led Zeppelin, who were heavily "influenced" by other artists.

I might be off on this one, but think "All My Life" by the Foo Fighters may have been "inspired" by "Desire" from Ozzy Osbourne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

mark13 wrote: »
    The obvious example is Led Zeppelin, who were heavily "influenced" by other artists.

I might be off on this one, but think "All My Life" by the Foo Fighters may have been "inspired" by "Desire" from Ozzy Osbourne.

An album that was re-record after dave was on tour with qotsa...look more towards feel good hit of the summer. That may have been inspired though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So which came first!?

Police - Hungry for You 1983

Yes- Owner of a Lonely heart 1983!

Advertisement