Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Friday

Comments

They have no possibility to have a resurrection if I do not off them first :)

I likely would have no qualms about eating them all over again if they do however. Hmmmm Zombie Bunny Burger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Legally the pubs could give us free beer.

I'm surprised they don't do something like that; sell a "membership" or "invitations to a party" a few days before hand for GF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Will you have a drink on Good Friday?

I'll be remembering Jesus with a slab of Heineken I bought earlier(Tesco, 28 euro for 24 cans).

I also have a half full wine rack and a bottle of whisky in the press just in case.

Should be a fcukin great Friday.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Some interesting reading. 10 out of 10 for trying.
    Personally I think they might have a case if they appealed the ruling

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/bid-to-open-pub-on-good-friday-night-against-spirit-of-law-1.2161503

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

8 glasses of water

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Nope. I don't usually drink on Fridays these days. Makes no odds to me. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

My Gods Demand it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

I'll be remembering Jesus with a slab of Heineken I bought earlier(Tesco, 28 euro for 24 cans).

I also have a half full wine rack and a bottle of whisky in the press just in case.

Should be a fcukin great Friday.:D

Well he did turn the water into wine so he started it. A handy man to have around when the bar closes unexpectedly

Nope. But only because of things to do Saturday. GF used to be the best house party day of the year, in the mid 00s people just seemed to go hatchet on that day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I'm off it for Lent and shockingly I've lasted this long, so no.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Was in Tesco today and saw loads of people going around with nothing but slabs and wine piled up in their trolley, its funny how people seem to think its the end of the world today, I decided to use a basket though, too much temptation with a trolley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Working in a pub and im in tomorrow. I plan on leaving with my head tilted back in case I spill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I refuse to be dictated to by calendars, catholics or libertines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I refuse to be dictated to by calendars, catholics or libertines.

You've changed your tune from yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Can never understand why people go mental every year on GF just because the pubs are closed, funny thing is I bet most wouldn't be arsed drinking as much any other Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

<Generic post along the lines of "Can people not go one day...">

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Maybe a nice pint or a glass of wine with dinner (depending on what we're having).
    I never drink a lot, and don't see why I should change my ways just cause it's Good Friday

Can never understand why people go mental every year on GF just because the pubs are closed, funny thing is I bet most wouldn't be arsed drinking as much any other Friday.

It is a great day for a party because the pubs are closed.

No one can do the "oh but I arranged to meet so and so at such and such".

And most wouldn't be arsed drinking other Fridays because of work. Many are off on Good Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Probably not but I do have a few cans should I change my mind. Like any other Good Friday really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

It's a matter of principle, some century old law shouldn't dictate when people can and can't consume alcohol, especially on religious grounds. If you don't want to drink tomorrow then don't, but I see no need to impose on others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

I generally don't drink but the pressure to drink on good friday is becoming unbearable :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

syklops wrote: »
    You've changed your tune from yesterday.
    Na, I just don't get annoyed about it.

Magnate wrote: »
    It's a matter of principle, some century old law shouldn't dictate when people can and can't consume alcohol, especially on religious grounds. If you don't want to drink tomorrow then don't, but I see no need to impose on others.

I agree and hopefully this is the last year that pubs have to close because of it but i don't understand why people have to go out, buy a **** load of drink, get blitzed drunk. Or even worse, create a thread telling people how much drink they have because ya know .... the pubs have closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

I agree and hopefully this is the last year that pubs have to close because of it but i don't understand why people have to go out, buy a **** load of drink, get blitzed drunk. Or even worse, create a thread telling people how much drink they have because ya know .... the pubs have closed.

Absolutely, I won't even be drinking tomorrow, I just don't think industry should suffer as a result.

Well you wouldn't be invited anyway,so dont worry about it.

Well you wouldn't be invited anyway,so dont worry about it.

Hulk sad :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm not drinking anyway, I don't know how I'll feel about not being an affront to god this year.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I'm not drinking anyway, I don't know how I'll feel about not being an affront to god this year.

Have a burger or covet your neighbours wife you'll be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

I generally don't drink but the pressure to drink on good friday is becoming unbearable :p

It's ironic, there'd be less drinking on Good Friday if the pubs were open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

I like my beer, but I've never bought anything from an off-licence in my life.

Don't get the whole drinking at home thing at all.

If I want a pint tomorrow, I'll get one.

Henlars67 wrote: »
    I like my beer, but I've never bought anything from an off-licence in my life.

Don't get the whole drinking at home thing at all.
    Generally you get better beers in the off license. I'm convinced the gas they put through pints in the pubs is some form of poison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Generally you get better beers in the off license. I'm convinced the gas they put through pints in the pubs is some form of poison.

Sitting at home drinking doesn't appeal to me though

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I'll probably have a bottle of the wine with dinner as I do most Fridays. Tough fecking week this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

As it's probably the last year of the alcohol ban in pubs on Good Friday, I have none the less prepared myself for a late lunch tomorrow......

I have a lovely bottle of NZ Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc chilling in the fridge, to be served with plaice fillets rolled and stuffed with baby prawns and cooked in the oven with a drop of the wine, lemon and sea salt.

Yummy.

What is so wrong about that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I'm going to get absolutely crucified!!!

I'm going to get absolutely crucified!!!

That's the spirit.

Its what Jesus would have wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Nope. Might have one tonight and I'm out on Sunday anyway.

Drinking expressly to sock it to religion is a bit mortifying really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

If you're in a nightclub tonight, do they just stop serving drink at 12? Or do they open at all?

If you're in a nightclub tonight, do they just stop serving drink at 12? Or do they open at all?
    I'd half expect them to stop at 12. I've been in nightclubs that have opened at 12 that night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Think they just close early IIRC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Duggy747 wrote: »
    <Generic post along the lines of "Can people not go one day...">

"Sure the bar staff deserve a day off"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I didn't go out of my way to stock up on booze, and the only alcohol in the house is a bottle of white wine. I think it's a bit pathetic to bulk buy alcohol just because you can't buy any for 24 hrs, but I'm not against drinking some tomorrow either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

anncoates wrote: »
    Think they just close early IIRC
    I'd half expect them to stop at 12. I've been in nightclubs that have opened at 12 that night.

I won't bother so :L

Shenshen wrote: »
    Maybe a nice pint or a glass of wine with dinner (depending on what we're having).
    I never drink a lot, and don't see why I should change my ways just cause it's Good Friday

I'm going to get precisely the same amount of bladdered as I do on any other day of the year.

*plot twist: I don't drink

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Threads Merged. Boom.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Threads Merged. Boom.

Bap

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Threads Merged. Boom.

Yeah thanks, it went from 8 pages to 42 in the space of 2 minutes! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

They should close every business on good Friday. Garda stations only in the major cities (Kilkenny is not included), all hospitals closed (patients can stay in bed but without any nurses). Fire stations closed, power stations closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I can't understand how people are in any way confused about this. It is not like any other friday. Many people are forced to take annual leave against their will, it is also a bank holiday weekend. Many places are shut down so many will not head out to the local town to do shopping, or visit a bank.

There are 5 public holidays which land on mondays Easter Monday, First Monday in May, June, August, Last Monday in October.

If for some reason they switched the ban on selling drink friday to August and if all businesses all began opening on good friday and closing on that friday instead then I expect people would begin drinking on the "August bad friday". And I expect the amount of drinking on good friday would drop to the same level as the friday of any other bank holiday weekend.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement