Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Friday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

One of 2 days pubs are closed and people go mad! The other 363 days people complain about the price of drinks in pubs.
    again, it is is not a randomly picked day. Its a potentially highly profitable day for publicans, so in a way this ban is partially to blame for the higher prices.

I expect many non drinkers object to it on principle, just like I imagine some vegetarians would object to a proposed ban on the sale of meat on fridays.
    I don't see anyone complaining about having the day off work!!
    :confused: I always hear plenty of people complaining about having the day off work. I hate having to use up one of my 20 days of annual leave on such a useless day. If work closed up on almost any other friday during the year I would prefer it, I could go to the bank which does not suit my working hours, to a town and have all the shops open, maybe even have a pint. I remember 2 foreign girls in work who were very upset, had their holiday plans screwed by having one of their holidays used up, and so had to organise an extra day off and a day less pay. And then they discovered they could not even do much on this forced holiday.

rubadub wrote: »

:confused: I always hear plenty of people complaining about having the day off work. I hate having to use up one of my 20 days of annual leave on such a useless day.

What about all the people get an additional day off for it? It doesn't come out of my annual leave nor does it come from many others either.

I have never in my life heard someone complain about a day off either but anyway.

What about all the people get an additional day off for it?
    I expect they are happy to get it off. FFS I think that's fairly fucking obvious :rolleyes:, and was obviously not what I was talking about. However I expect if they are getting days above and beyond the legally required annual leave, like many do, that they would prefer to choose themselves -if you get they day off I would consider it a form of bonus, and many companys let it be known that its in effect a bonus.
    I have never in my life heard someone complain about a day off either but anyway.
    Try asking someone who is forced to take if off it they would prefer to have the choice. Many people do not even think about it, and when pointed out they do have an issue with it. Its like people going around saying people are "lucky" to get say 8 days off at christmas, for many people christmas holidays are also forced annual leave. Many people are obliviously ignorant about the downside.
    I hear it all the time, many manufacturing places will shut for 2 weeks in summer and force people to take time off which they would have preferred at another time of year.

Try asking someone who is forced to take if off it they would prefer to have the choice. Many people do not even think about it, and when pointed out they do have an issue with it. Its like people going around saying people are "lucky" to get say 8 days off at christmas, for many people christmas holidays are also forced annual leave. Many people are obliviously ignorant about the downside.

I know christmas is forced annual leave for some but then again most people who don't have it off take it off anyway as people want to be off then. I get all christmas off too along with good Friday on top of my 26 days annual leave but if I had to take days off during christmas would be definitely a time I would and good Friday would also be a time I would to make for a long easter weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

One of 2 days pubs are closed and people go mad! The other 363 days people complain about the price of drinks in pubs.

Ah, yes, because everyone in Ireland doesn't have work commitments and other sort of commitments for the other 363 days of the year.

Furthermore, I don't see any mention of off-licenses in your post. Drink isn't expensive there and they're closed, too.

Not everyone can go drinking every Friday, so I think it's stupid to generalise the entire country as Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm workers, like several people have done on this thread.
    Also, in good old catholic backwards Ireland, I don't see anyone complaining about having the day off work!!

Open the pubs, and send everyone back to work!!!!

Not everyone is off work today. Don't be silly.

I know christmas is forced annual leave for some but then again most people who don't have it off take it off anyway as people want to be off then. I get all christmas off too along with good Friday on top of my 26 days annual leave but if I had to take days off during christmas would be definitely a time I would and good Friday would also be a time I would to make for a long easter weekend.
    Fine, not sure what you are trying to prove/show with that post.

I know people who's work does not close over christmas and they request some holidays, ones which suit them, but they never as many as I am forced to take.

Since so many friends & family are forced to take time off at the same time they also select those days as they can meet up easier. But this also can be viewed as making the most of a bad situation. If 70% of businesses closed up around st. brigids day for 4 days I expect many would request holidays at that time too -to meet up with friends forced to take it off.

At least now you can no longer say you have never heard of an instance of someone complaing about having to take good friday off. Thinking is some sort of benign great holiday bonus for everybody.

In my mind you have 7 days above the legal requirment, lucky you, many have only 20 and so might value single ones a lot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

kylith wrote: »
    Has anyone EVER been refused service at a bar because they're drunk? IME they'll serve anyone who's not too drunk to say what they want, and they only won't serve the rest because they can't understand them.
    I've often refused people. In fact I'm extremely strict on it and not just in my current job. I just couldn't be dealing with drunken fools. It's not down to any concern for them. :p

Also, in good old catholic backwards Ireland, I don't see anyone complaining about having the day off work!!

What about all the people get an additional day off for it? It doesn't come out of my annual leave nor does it come from many others either.

Ahem.
    Adyx wrote: »
    That they didn't ask for and is probably unpaid. People always say this at this time of year. What difference do you think having GF off compared to a Tuesday will make?

I'm a bartender in a restaurant. I usually finish early and go for a few drinks on Fridays. Not only can I not do that tomorrow but I'm losing the money I would have earned as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

I abstain from alcohol that day to piss off the atheists and eat steak to piss off the Christians.

It always makes me proud to live in a country where the unavailability of alcohol for sale for a 24 hours causes so much outrage and consternation. I mean, if this what concerns us most, then we must have solved every other problem of modern life.

Lots of people enjoy going to the pub on a Friday after work as it's the end of the working week. Not good timing. It might not be so bad if it was on a Sunday or a Tuesday. Don't drink myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The minimum sale proposals will conincidentally will hugely help the publicans, some would say it's one of the main real reasons for bringing it in. The dogs on the street know about how politicians and publicans are best buddies.

I can't follow the logic here I'm afraid. The minimum price will probably raise the very low prices being charged for cans in supermarkets. But to nowhere near pub prices. So there is no benefit there for the publicans.

And the politicians are keeping their best buddies from opening on Good Friday for the last 90 years. While making no impact on the off licences and supermarkets who presell their product. Why?

I know it's fashionable to find an ulterior motive for every action by our legislators. But there is a major public health problem caused by misuse of alcohol. So in this case they might just be doing the right thing for the right reasons.

http://alcoholireland.ie/campaigns/minimum-pricing/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Can this stupid "Good Friday" shìt be done away with yet? Honestly, 2015 and religion still having such a influence that it tries to force people to abide to their rules.

Its so outdated and backwards, it annoys me and I'm not even a drinker. Just sick of fairytale b/s being sprouted and enforced when we have surely left the era of church is life, life is god. Don't you dare go against it or you're going to hell.

Kids stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Yakult wrote: »
    Can this stupid "Good Friday" shìt be done away with yet? Honestly, 2015 and religion still having such a influence that it tries to force people to abide to their rules.

Its so outdated and backwards, it annoys me and I'm not even a drinker. Just sick of fairytale b/s being sprouted and enforced when we have surely left the era of church is life, life is god. Don't you dare go against it or you're going to hell.

Kids stuff.

I really do admire Islam for their shunning of Alcohol, if it weren't for extremists and the way women are treated then I'd have no problem with Islam. Irish people have a pretty sick relationship with Alcohol and it a curse on our society which no-one will ever have the courage to stand up against.

People who can't manage without a pub for two days in a year really need to take a good hard look at themselves before they start insulting other peoples religious convictions.

Kids stuff.

Did you get a kid to write that for you? Send him back to school before he "sprouts" any more nonsense like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Kids stuff.

Even a cursory knowledge of history would tell one that Christianity is the religion of men, not children.

To indulge in such nescience as dismissing religion as "kids stuff" is what is backwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Stinicker wrote: »
    People who can't manage without a pub for two days in a year really need to take a good hard look at themselves before they start insulting other peoples religious convictions.

I don't drink, and I don't particularly like Irish attitudes to alcohol, but should other people's religious convictions be allowed to dictate whether you can or cannot go to a pub tonight?

RayM wrote: »
    I don't drink, and I don't particularly like Irish attitudes to alcohol, but should other people's religious convictions be allowed to dictate whether you can or cannot go to a pub tonight?

Yes :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

catallus wrote: »
    Even a cursory knowledge of history would tell one that Christianity is the religion of men, not children.

To indulge in such nescience as dismissing religion as "kids stuff" is what is backwards.
    I wouldn't say "full", or even "pervy"...but the rest is true :)

Do you have multiple personality disorder, by any chance? Is there something that makes you switch from "Average Boards.ie User" to "Dunnes Stores own-brand John Waters"?

Yes :)

On what basis?

On what basis?

I'm glad you asked....

You see, religious belief is the only thing protecting society from the insane logic of total ideology.

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to create Him."...Voltaire.

Thankfully, the existence of the "cause of causes" is obvious to those who are not wilfully blind to the majesty of his creation!

No they shouldn't but the law can and does. Despite the numerous references in this thread to the law being put in place at the behest of the Catholic church there is no evidence to support this. There is no mention of religion in the 1927 Act. I have looked at the online record of some of the Dail debates from the time, and I cannot see any mention of religion there either.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1927/en/act/pub/0015/print.html

Whatever the reason for the legislation it has stood the test of time, unlike the 1927 provisions relating to St Patrick's Day, which are long gone. There is simply no great public demand for a change and politicians would only annoy the anti alcohol groups by doing a change. I can hear them in my head now on the radio and TV "What message is this sending to our young people" etc etc.

I'm glad you asked....

You see, religious belief is the only thing protecting society from the insane logic of total ideology.

Thankfully, the existence of the "cause of causes" is obvious to those who are not wilfully blind to the majesty of his creation!

That's not an answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

I'm glad you asked....

.... What if he didn't. And we did? :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

What about all the people get an additional day off for it?

Obviously they'd be glad about it. :confused: But people who have to take it and use AL might prefer to work and save the day for summertime or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

What happens in restaurants that don't sell alcohol but operate BYO?? Is this permitted today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

This has nothing to do with "Not managing without a pub". Im sat here with a glass of jemmie, but earlier I was in town and it would have been nice to sink a cold one before I headed home. I don't go to town very often. But I couldn't because its illegal, on this one arbitrary day for no other reason than some people are catholic.

syklops wrote: »
    ...on this one arbitrary day.....

Nothing arbitrary about it!

It is the day your Saviour died for your (all of our) sins!

Maybe it would behoove one to ruminate on that!

• Moderators Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Considering it falls on a different date every year, it's unlikely to be the actual day Christ died.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

A positive is long whine of those that do without an alcoholic drink and thing they are being discriminated against, akin to Vinterners Assoc. The state in an attempt to curry favour no doubt will bow to the chattering classes and remove this from the statue books. Thus removing yet another pebble from the edifice of what was once common edifice of both tradition belief and community. But nevermind, the ability to get sloshed is so more important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Manach wrote: »
    A positive is long whine of those that do without an alcoholic drink and thing they are being discriminated against, akin to Vinterners Assoc. The state in an attempt to curry favour no doubt will bow to the chattering classes and remove this from the statue books. Thus removing yet another pebble from the edifice of what was once common edifice
    Good gravy... what?! :confused:

A positive is long whine of those that do without an alcoholic drink and thing they are being discriminated against, akin to Vinterners Assoc. The state in an attempt to curry favour no doubt will bow to the chattering classes and remove this from the statue books. Thus removing yet another pebble from the edifice of what was once common edifice of both tradition belief and community. But nevermind, the ability to get sloshed is so more important.

There is no need to worry. Until AH starts it's annual moan in about 11 months there won't be another word about it. Everything will be back to normal this time tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,801 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I just spat a mouthful of whiskey over my keyboard laughing at that. :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

I don't think human sacrifice should be celebrated in a civilised society

SW wrote: »
    Considering it falls on a different date every year, it's unlikely to be the actual day Christ died.

Nobody says it is!

It is the Friday prior to Easter Sunday, which is defined as the first Sunday after the first full moon following the Vernal Equinox; the death of Christ and his Resurrection are the most important tenets of the Christian Churches; nine months on and we celebrate his birth; such ancient wisdom is one off the keystones of our culture, tied up with our common heritage, mythos which has been passed down through the generations, reflecting our humanity and indeed our Godliness! Woe betide them that recognise their godliness know not their wretchedness!
    I don't think human sacrifice should be celebrated in a civilised society

There is nothing civilised about wilful blindness to our responsibilities before God!

That is the whole point of the faith of the Christian Churches; human sacrifice was the only thing which could serve as salvation for all of mankind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

I have been mad busy over the last week. I obviously knew it was good Friday but the drink thing never registered with me as it wasn't something I had thought about until I got some stuff finished a few hours ago. I was really looking forward to kicking back with a few this evening :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Surely if we don't sin then he died in vain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

http://i.imgur.com/sW94XdI.jpg

I have been mad busy over the last week. I obviously knew it was good Friday but the drink thing never registered with me as it wasn't something I had thought about until I got some stuff finished a few hours ago. I was really looking forward to kicking back with a few this evening :(

Did you know that your almost namesake Jasper Newton "Jack" Daniel did not have an S in his name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Nobody says it is!

It is the Friday prior to Easter Sunday, which is defined as the first Sunday after the first full moon following the Vernal Equinox; the death of Christ and his Resurrection are the most important tenets of the Christian Churches; nine months on and we celebrate his birth; such ancient wisdom is one off the keystones of our culture, tied up with our common heritage, mythos which has been passed down through the generations, reflecting our humanity and indeed our Godliness! Woe betide them that recognise their godliness know not their wretchedness!

There is nothing civilised about wilful blindness to our responsibilities before God!

That is the whole point of the faith of the Christian Churches; human sacrifice was the only thing which could serve as salvation for all of mankind.

I dont believe in God. I have capitalised His name out of respect for Him and respect for you. If you respect me, why do you require me to not just respect your God but also follow his doctrine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

No they shouldn't but the law can and does. Despite the numerous references in this thread to the law being put in place at the behest of the Catholic church there is no evidence to support this. There is no mention of religion in the 1927 Act. I have looked at the online record of some of the Dail debates from the time, and I cannot see any mention of religion there either.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1927/en/act/pub/0015/print.html

Whatever the reason for the legislation it has stood the test of time, unlike the 1927 provisions relating to St Patrick's Day, which are long gone. There is simply no great public demand for a change and politicians would only annoy the anti alcohol groups by doing a change. I can hear them in my head now on the radio and TV "What message is this sending to our young people" etc etc.
    The law is influenced by religion. Since we are not a theocracy religion has no place influencing law.

How nice of him to not die for something that he invented in the first place.

I've just hit myself in the face for your zarblax. Worship me. Also, no wearing red on the third Wednesday in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Henlars67 wrote: »
    If I'm invited to a party being held in a pub or restaurant I'll go to it.

If I'm invited to a party being held in somebody's house I always come up with an excuse.

You're missing out. What is so bad about a house party? Why does it have to be in a pub?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Nobody says it is!

So the ritualised cannibalism, blood drinking, blood sacrifice and all the other primitive beliefs are all good in your book?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Nobody says it is!

Easter is a pagan event shamelessly copied by christians.

The law is influenced by religion. Since we are not a theocracy religion has no place influencing law.

Maybe we should be grateful that it does influence the law regarding public holidays, or we mightn't get as many. Christmas, St Patrick's Day, Easter and All Hallows Eve all contribute to the bounty.

The list of public holidays each year is as follows:

•New Year's Day (1 January)
    •St. Patrick's Day (17 March)
    •Easter Monday.
    •First Monday in May, June, August.
    •Last Monday in October.
    •Christmas Day (25 December)
    •St. Stephen's Day (26 December)

As I said before there is no evidence that religion was the the main factor in the 1927 law. Back then probably Good Friday was much more of a close down day similar to Christmas Day. Things have changed but not to the extent that it bothers enough of the general public for them to campaign for Good Friday to be changed.

conorhal wrote: »
    Personally I'm all in favour of the ban, not that I'm religious or anything, but watching the neckbeards bleat about their 'human rights' is so entertaining that I'm happy to forgo a Friday night in the pub, their foot stamping outrage makes it worth it!

As long as you're so entertained it's ok to justify the tourism industry losing 30 million euro?

All law, from the beginning of time and human civilisation, is based on religion. If you think about it, it couldn't be any other way.
    So the ritualised cannibalism, blood drinking, blood sacrifice and all the other primitive beliefs are all good in your book?

I don't have a problem with them; why would I? At the end of the day, what are we but our beliefs; and those pertaining to death and sacrifice are at the base of our humanity, whether you believe it to be pejoratively "primitive" or not, that is more of a reflection of your own hubris, not society's.
    lertsnim wrote: »
    Easter is a pagan event shamelessly copied by christians.

Easter is a wholly Christian event; unless you're arguing that because it falls near to some other ancient event on the calender which is analogous to it? There is no paganistic festival which even slightly mirrors the festival of Easter; there is the relationship of the ancient myth of Adonis and his visit, through death, to the underworld and his return (which is rather interesting) but the whole idea of Easter and the death and resurrection of Christ are so much more refined from that as to be unrecognisable!

I'd like to know which paganistic festival Easter is "copied" from! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Who really cares? like really?

• Advertisement

Or they could do what they do in the UK and open the pubs and give a day off work. It works for them, why not Ireland?

Missing the point here, it's about choice. What about the millions lost by the tourism industry?

I'm glad you asked....

So basically you want to push your beliefs on others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

No, people that need to force their religious views on others, especially those that also do it through the government and into law really need to take a good hard look at themselves. I will look down on anybody that forces their religious beliefs onto others. I will never have any respect for those people.

But nevermind, the ability to get sloshed is so more important.

If people want to get "sloshed" they will. People just want to have the option to have a simple drink at the start of a long weekend. It's about choice

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement