Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Friday

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Maybe we should be grateful that it does influence the law regarding public holidays, or we mightn't get as many. Christmas, St Patrick's Day, Easter and All Hallows Eve all contribute to the bounty.

The list of public holidays each year is as follows:

•New Year's Day (1 January)
    •St. Patrick's Day (17 March)
    •Easter Monday.
    •First Monday in May, June, August.
    •Last Monday in October.
    •Christmas Day (25 December)
    •St. Stephen's Day (26 December)

As I said before there is no evidence that religion was the the main factor in the 1927 law. Back then probably Good Friday was much more of a close down day similar to Christmas Day. Things have changed but not to the extent that it bothers enough of the general public for them to campaign for Good Friday to be changed.

The same amount of days off would be given anyway if it wasn't for religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Manach wrote: »
    A positive is long whine of those that do without an alcoholic drink and thing they are being discriminated against, akin to Vinterners Assoc. The state in an attempt to curry favour no doubt will bow to the chattering classes and remove this from the statue books. Thus removing yet another pebble from the edifice of what was once common edifice of both tradition belief and community. But nevermind, the ability to get sloshed is so more important.

People are getting sloshed regardless.

Just because something is a tradition doesnt mean it's a good thing and should be kept. Women being unable to vote was tradition and child marriage is still practiced in some parts of the world. Do you mourn those losses of tradition too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Who really cares? like really?

Only those of us who despair at the blind vanity of the unrepentantly godless, those willing slaves to the empty echoes of modernist hubris!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

catallus wrote: »
    Only those of us who despair at the blind vanity of the unrepentantly godless, those willing slaves to the empty echoes of modernist hubris!

You know so many big words and yet to me who knows only about 27 you still may as well be extolling the virtues of scientology, Islam, Harry Potter or Wicca. Theyre all made up nonsense. Really though, they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I like to think if Jesus comes back we'll kill him again, for tradition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

kowloon wrote: »
    I like to think if Jesus comes back we'll kill him again, for tradition.

Depends, if he can turn water into wine we should leave off him till tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Good gravy... what?! :confused:

Don't bother, John Charles ManachQuaid is unlikely to actually return to this thread.

the aforementioned bunnies are no more. except on my hips.

Actually no more that is. not pretendy dead like the head of catallus' personality cult :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Depends, if he can turn water into wine we should leave off him till tomorrow.

The day after the wedding feast of Cana, Joseph stumbles down the stairs at 3 oclock groaning and holding his head.

He says to Mary, give us a glass of water quick, and keep that young fella away from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Nothing arbitrary about it!

It is the day your Saviour died for your (all of our) sins!

Maybe it would behoove one to ruminate on that!

I don't believe this to be true therefore you are telling me that a made up man died for me...where's my choice there?

Didn't it used to be that a woman in Ireland could not refuse sex with her husband even if she didn't want it...In other words he was lawfully allowed to rape her. Funny how we can change some laws if we want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

Look I respect everyone's opinions and all but on a serious note where is open in 15 minutes?

kenyard wrote: »
    Look I respect everyone's opinions and all but on a serious note where is open in 15 minutes?

It will be five oclock somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Manach wrote: »
    A positive is long whine of those that do without an alcoholic drink and thing they are being discriminated against, akin to Vinterners Assoc. The state in an attempt to curry favour no doubt will bow to the chattering classes and remove this from the statue books. Thus removing yet another pebble from the edifice of what was once common edifice of both tradition belief and community. But nevermind, the ability to get sloshed is so more important.

What?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

kenyard wrote: »

Might be a bit late for you but the Wright Venue is open

Nobody says it is!

It is the Friday prior to Easter Sunday, which is defined as the first Sunday after the first full moon following the Vernal Equinox; the death of Christ and his Resurrection are the most important tenets of the Christian Churches; nine months on and we celebrate his birth; such ancient wisdom is one off the keystones of our culture, tied up with our common heritage, mythos which has been passed down through the generations, reflecting our humanity and indeed our Godliness! Woe betide them that recognise their godliness know not their wretchedness!

There is nothing civilised about wilful blindness to our responsibilities before God!

That is the whole point of the faith of the Christian Churches; human sacrifice was the only thing which could serve as salvation for all of mankind.

Nonsnse, nonsense, just back from pub so forgive me please but... again ... nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The Pub, one of those places that AH posters won't visit because they are too expensive, but who seem to get mortally offended when they close for two days a year. Those places.

Wow, thanked by 172 people. 172 people think After Hours is one person and not a collection of tens of thousands peoples different opinions :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I can't follow the logic here I'm afraid. The minimum price will probably raise the very low prices being charged for cans in supermarkets. But to nowhere near pub prices. So there is no benefit there for the publicans.
    One of the proposed prices quoted was €2.50 for 500ml of beer, wetherspoons have had pints cheaper than this, the 40ft currently has a selection of 14 pints on draught at €2.50. Diceys bar in harcourt street dublin city centre have had pints for €2 for years now on some days, not even cheapo beer, paulaner, not bavaria/tuborg/fosters.

Don't be all afraid about not following logic, most others get it, try asking people you know to explain it. When pubs prices are a more relatively comparable price to off licences they become less off putting.

People can get a bottle of heineken at 75cent or so on offer, it can be 5.50 in many pubs, this is what puts them off pubs, the disgust at paying several times the price, if the bottle is €2 or €2.50 it does not feel as big as much of a sting. Therefore it will be of benefit to publicans. I have not heard of any publicans opposed to the minimum pricing proposal, which should be a clear sign of how they feel, they are well reknowned as a bunch of whinging cuntholes.
    There is no mention of religion in the 1927 Act. I have looked at the online record of some of the Dail debates from the time, and I cannot see any mention of religion there either.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1927/en/act/pub/0015/print.html
    Sweet mother of jesus/thor/satan/vishnu...
    that act calls out christmas day, st.patricks day, and good friday. And you claim to think it had nothing to do with religion. jesus fucking wept, probably more than he did getting nailed to that imaginary cross.

You know so many big words and yet to me who knows only about 27 you still may as well be extolling the virtues of scientology, Islam, Harry Potter or Wicca. Theyre all made up nonsense. Really though, they are.

You are seriously messed up, WTF is wrong with Harry Potter?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

Its all over for another year, the catholic church has some power.

• Advertisement

Maybe we should be grateful that it does influence the law regarding public holidays, or we mightn't get as many. Christmas, St Patrick's Day, Easter and All Hallows Eve all contribute to the bounty.

The list of public holidays each year is as follows:

•New Year's Day (1 January)
    •St. Patrick's Day (17 March)
    •Easter Monday.
    •First Monday in May, June, August.
    •Last Monday in October.
    •Christmas Day (25 December)
    •St. Stephen's Day (26 December)

As I said before there is no evidence that religion was the the main factor in the 1927 law. Back then probably Good Friday was much more of a close down day similar to Christmas Day. Things have changed but not to the extent that it bothers enough of the general public for them to campaign for Good Friday to be changed.

Yeah, St Patricks day was included in the 1927 legislation and was originally subsequently a dry day but look at it now. And we do get quite a lot of holidays linked to the RCC but the fact is religion was a huge influence on the 1927 act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Arnold? Who's Arnold?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

syklops wrote: »
    Arnold? Who's Arnold?

Alice's brother.

Jamsiek wrote: »
    Missing the point here, it's about choice. What about the millions lost by the tourism industry?

It's nothing to do with choice or the tourist industry that people are complaining it's completely due to their big anti-Catholic heads simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

It's nothing to do with choice or the tourist industry that people are complaining it's completely due to their big anti-Catholic heads simple as that.

It is to do with choice. I'm not anti Catholic but I don't see how a group of people who believe in a made up best friend who lives in the sky, can dictate their beliefs on the rest of the populace.

No group of people should be allowed to dictate to others based on "their" religious beliefs

I note your earlier post where you said you like to remind people what they "should" be doing...who are you that you can force others to follow your rules?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,901 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Didn't you brag about how much you drank Christmas day, which is also a day that has been deemed of limits to buy alcohol?

Is there a religious reason for this or are you just a hypocrite incapable of making his own decisions?

• Advertisement

Bloody hell, you make it sound as if almost everyone in this thread is Ian Paisley! :pac:

rubadub wrote: »
    Sweet mother of jesus/thor/satan/vishnu...
    that act calls out christmas day, st.patricks day, and good friday. And you claim to think it had nothing to do with religion. jesus fucking wept, probably more than he did getting nailed to that imaginary cross.

In 1927 due to the country being 90% Catholic probably nearly 100% Christian the law simply recognised the existing status quo. Where those three days were complete close down days for business, due to the religious practices of the population. Just like Christmas day largely remains. There was no need for the churches to put any pressure on politicians to make those dry days.

There is no pressure from anyone that I know of to change Christmas day.
    St Patrick's Day was changed in 1960 at a time of greater church influence than now. It would be worthwile to look back to see the circumstances in which it happened at the time. Did the churches object, did they try to influence the government of the day and failed.

There is no pressure from the general public to change Good Friday. It is a vintners and restauranters campaign. No doubt some churchmen would come out against any proposed change but there would be far more objections from the medical world and the anti alcohol groups. It would complicate the life of our politicians to rewrite the Good Friday law now while at the same time they are preparing the Alcohol Public Health bill.

Why would they want to embroil themselves in this where only about one in three want to see the law changed and most of those people can't be bothered to do anything to make that happen? Like make it an election issue. And they would be annoying some of the 50% who want to see no change.

So it is not really to do with religion at all. Otherwise the publicans would be campaigning for Christmas day to be changed and the churches would never have allowed St Patrick's day to be changed.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Didn't you brag about how much you drank Christmas day, which is also a day that has been deemed of limits to buy alcohol?

Is there a religious reason for this or are you just a hypocrite incapable of making his own decisions?

Pubs are closed Christmas Day for totally different reasons than good Friday. They are closed Christmas Day as its a family day where everyone should be spending it with their family not working or drinking in a pub. There is no rule against drinking. Good Friday is a day of abstinence when you shouldn't drink so hence the pubs are closed.

Also I never bragged about drinking Christmas Day, I never drink much Christmas Day, and never get drunk. I'd have no more than 7 or 8 cans and two or three glasses of wine over the whole day.

Pubs are closed Christmas Day for totally different reasons than good Friday. They are closed Christmas Day as its a family day where everyone should be spending it with their family not working or drinking in a pub. There is no rule against drinking. Good Friday is a day of abstinence when you shouldn't drink so hence the pubs are closed.

Also I never bragged about drinking Christmas Day, I never drink much Christmas Day, and never get drunk. I'd have no more than 7 or 8 cans and two or three glasses of wine over the whole day.

They are closed on those two days because of the intoxicating liquor act, No other reason, No idea where you're getting this crap about abstinence from.

I'll ask since you keep ignoring it, if good friday is a religious day of abstinence, how come you can buy alcohol in the vatican city?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Good Friday is a day of abstinence when you shouldn't drink so hence the pubs are closed.
    But this is only something introduced by the "Catholic Church" in Ireland and somehow came into law. What people are complaining about is why one belief system should dictate what the country can't do on a certain date. It's understandable to those who are "Catholic" but it's not fair on us people who aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

For catholics. Enforcing one part of a religious doctrine in the laws of a secular republic should never happen. If you don't want to have a drink, fine, however don't force everyone else to do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,250 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Listen lads, it'ts business as usual again. Offies opened at 10.30am. And the bookies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I'm not anti-Catholic but i am anti-Catholic-influence (or any other religious influence).

If you see yesterday as a religious day and a day when alcohol should not be consumed because of that, then go ahead and do what you like.

But I am not Catholic, and I don't see any reason why I should not be allowed to go for a drink on what is, for me, a perfectly normal Friday night.

If publicans want to open their pubs, why not let them? Those that want to remain closed can easily do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Kev87

Butchers are not forced to close. Pubs lose out on one their biggest nights income of the week (couldn't care less if a place like coppers lost income, am thinking about the small places!)

Pubs can't open to sell food, soft drinks etc. Some people dont just go to pubs just for the booze you know!

The shops can open and close off the alcohol line but sell everything else. Pubs not allowed the choice.

If you are religous enough not to drink, what difference does it make if the pubs open or not. My mum lives in London and she won't eat meat or drink on good Friday (which I respect). She doesn't feel forced to the go have a drink just because the local is open.

The only argument the people who agree with it say is "ahhh can't ye go without drink for one day ya alcho"

Think they be missing the point. If people want to obstain, I have no problem with that whatsoever. But forcing pubs into closing to stop people drinking, doesn't seem to work.

The hypocrisy is what gets me.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    They are closed on those two days because of the intoxicating liquor act, No other reason, No idea where you're getting this crap about abstinence from.

I'll ask since you keep ignoring it, if good friday is a religious day of abstinence, how come you can buy alcohol in the vatican city?

Maybe they keep the pubs open for the tourists? :D

Kev87 wrote: »
    Pubs can't open to sell food, soft drinks etc. Some people dont just go to pubs just for the booze you know!
    Are you sure? I was in a restaurant in Dublin last night. If restaurants were able to open, as well as shops that sell alcohol, I can't see why pubs couldn't open and sell crisps and fanta (not that they'd want to).

Are you sure? I was in a restaurant in Dublin last night. If restaurants were able to open, as well as shops that sell alcohol, I can't see why pubs couldn't open and sell crisps and fanta (not that they'd want to).

I know a few pubs in Dublin City centre opened yesterday, selling food and n/a drinks. I wonder if it was worth it for the poor staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,801 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

*sets reminder for AH mod's to copy+paste entire thread, update dates & repost for Good Friday 2016*

tHB

The shops can open and close off the alcohol line but sell everything else. Pubs not allowed the choice.

Pubs can open if they want what makes you think they can't? I had a bowl of seafood chowder and glass of coke sitting at the bar of a golf course bar yesterday after my round.

*sets reminder for AH mod's to copy+paste entire thread, update dates & repost for Good Friday 2016*

tHB

Friday 25 March 2016, two weeks before probable polling day in the general election. And with the 1916 commemorations there will be other things to amuse us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Junglewoman

Pubs can open if they want what makes you think they can't? I had a bowl of seafood chowder and glass of coke sitting at the bar of a golf course bar yesterday after my round.

Was it a private club? If so, they were probably exempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

"I've no argument so I'll throw out a fallacy/my toys from the cot!" :pac:
    I never drink much Christmas Day, and never get drunk. I'd have no more than 7 or 8 cans and two or three glasses of wine over the whole day.
    Pfffft... oh I know - it's pretty much like you're teetotal for the day really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

I was in a pub yesterday which was selling food and non-alcoholic drinks :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

tHB

Gotta love it every year though. Rinse. Repeat.

Same time next year. Over and Out :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Good Friday is a day of abstinence when you shouldn't drink so hence the pubs are closed.

Good Friday is a day when CATHOLICS shouldn't drink.

They are not forced to but many drink more than they would normally.
    Its crazy I tells ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

What's the story with fish & chips on Good Friday? I thought it was a day of fasting/abstinence/penance. I'd hardly call getting a big dirty chipper any of those.

Was it a private club? If so, they were probably exempt.

No it's not a private club,no alcohol was being sold but you could buy food or have a soft drink. There is no ban on pubs opening don't know why people think that.

Pfffft... oh I know - it's pretty much like you're teetotal for the day really.

From say 11am until 1 or 2 in the morning I would more or less consider that amount as not drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

What's the story with fish & chips on Good Friday? I thought it was a day of fasting/abstinence/penance. I'd hardly call getting a big dirty chipper any of those.

I never thought of that before, the whole point of not eating meat or drinking alcohol was because they were luxuries. Now we have people off to play golf for the day before getting a big take away.

It's hardly fasting and penance over their god dying for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

There is no ban on pubs opening don't know why people think that.

Seeing as you're still on thread, can you comment on what I said earlier, which is that I think it is unfair that I can't (as somebody who is not Catholic) have a pint in a pub because of a law that is in place to facilitate one particular religion only.

Do you think it is fair for such a law to impact on everybody in society, regardless of their religion?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement