Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Friday

1101112131416»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Bowing out of this discussion.
    Had too much to drink yesterday, in a pub. Not touching the stuff today.

See you all next year.

osarusan wrote: »
    Seeing as you're still on thread, can you comment on what I said earlier, which is that I think it is unfair that I can't (as somebody who is not Catholic) have a pint in a pub because of a law that is in place to facilitate one particular religion only.

Do you think it is fair for such a law to impact on everybody in society, regardless of their religion?

It doesn't have to be fair. You are making the incorrect decision not to be a catholic and this law at least tries to force people to respect the rules that they should be doing by choice.

Ireland is a Catholic country and rules such as this are perfectly acceptable.

MOD: Take some time out to rethink your trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

It doesn't have to be fair. You are making the incorrect decision not to be a catholic and this law at least tried to force people to respect the rules that they should be doing by choice.

The standard Nox response. There is your answer Osarusan. A statement that says you should be doing it by choice, but by having the word "should" in there kind of makes it not a choice, and having it in law means no choice.

Butchers can still open and sell meat but Nox would ban that too if allowed to. As a Catholic, Nox, you should be abstaining every Friday, not just when it suits you, and you should be following all Catholic teachings not the ones you pick and choose to follow yourself. That means no sex before marriage, no contraception either by the way, no drinking at all, no getting drunk as it is sinful. There are some Catholics that won't drink and they would consider you a bad Catholic.

Lets see how long you maintain this stance of forcing your version of Catholicism on others if a stricter Catholic than you forced their beliefs onto you.

You need to take a good hard look at yourself if you think your beliefs can only stay relevant if they are forced onto others. It's pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

It doesn't have to be fair. You are making the incorrect decision not to be a catholic and this law at least tries to force people to respect the rules that they should be doing by choice.

It is not incorrect to not be a "Catholic" and go by your own beliefs. And while Ireland was once a "Catholic" country that is no longer the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

There is absolutely no way you can believe that crap. You're on a wind up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Kind of like how ISIS does?

What will we do to the people who dont follow your own brand of Catholicism? Kill them? Fine them? Throw them in prison?

How will you be forced to follow all of the rules?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

It is not incorrect to not be a "Catholic" and go by your own beliefs. And while Ireland was once a "Catholic" country that is no longer the case.
    The country was never a Catholic country. That is a popular myth.

A huge majority of the population have always been, and apparently remain, Catholic. But it's not the same thing as being a Catholic country, which has simply never happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

You can't be serious :eek:

Kind of like how ISIS does?

What will we do to the people who dont follow your own brand of Catholicism? Kill them? Fine them? Throw them in prison?

How will you be forced to follow all of the rules?

Islamic State of Ireland and Scotland.
    I like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

galljga1 wrote: »
    I like that.

ALL OFF TO THA' BARRRRR!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I like that.

Nah, its CSIS, Catholic State of Ireland and Scotland. We'll give the protestants a choice, convert or die as our army takes land in the name of the Roman Catholic Empire.

Christus Rex!

Nah, its CSIS, Catholic State of Ireland and Scotland. We'll give the protestants a choice, convert or die as our army takes land in the name of the Roman Catholic Empire.

We have not had a decent crusade in quite sometime, raping, pillaging and all that but no meat on Fridays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Hey nox, nox, NOX, NNNOOOOOOXXXXXXX, you still haven't answered my question, if the pope himself can buy drink on good Friday, how come we can't???

If you choose to ignore the question I'll assume that you don't actually believe any of the drivel you come out with and you're just afraid of mammy and daddy leaving you out of the will so you just believe whatever ****e you were fed as a child and you're not mature enough to question it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Jaysus!

I'm not sure who enjoys trolling more, the trolls or the trolled...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Hey nox, nox, NOX, NNNOOOOOOXXXXXXX, you still haven't answered my question, if the pope himself can buy drink on good Friday, how come we can't???

If you choose to ignore the question I'll assume that you don't actually believe any of the drivel you come out with and you're just afraid of mammy and daddy leaving you out of the will so you just believe whatever ****e you were fed as a child and you're not mature enough to question it.

Or it's just Noxtrollia.

Sad thing is, I've met enough people in my life that fit the nox mould that i can't say 100% he's a troll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

*sets reminder for AH mod's to copy+paste entire thread, update dates & repost for Good Friday 2016*

tHB

Lols!

But this law WILL be repealed by then.

It'll be 100 years since "the Rising" and we can't be having all them yanks and so on going dry now can we?

Watch this space!!

Lols!

It'll be 100 years since "the Rising" and we can't be having all them yanks and so on going dry now can we?

Watch this space!!

I said the exact same thing today, you really think we're gonna invite a member of the royal family over and NOT take a photo of them in the storehouse?

I said the exact same thing today, you really think we're gonna invite a member of the royal family over and NOT take a photo of them in the storehouse?

The royal family. Are you crazy? The shinners will go nuts. 800 years of oppression and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Lols!

Watch this space!!

I will be watching. But seeing it didn't happen in 1966 I don't see any prospect of the law being changed just to accommodate some Americans. Certainly not in the middle of the election campaign which will be in full flow around Easter 2016. Unless you have some knowledge of a proposed change before then.

News just in from two months ago. No royals coming over.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/royals-unlikely-to-attend-1916-rising-ceremonies-1.2096096

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

I was carrying around a 6 pounder last night while walking home. Had counted on the village pub being open to save me.
    bastard good Friday.
    An extra 15 minutes walking, touching cloth the whole way back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

I'd love to know why alcohol free beer cannot be purchased on good Friday (or at any time that alcohol containing beer can be).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

It's nothing to do with choice or the tourist industry that people are complaining it's completely due to their big anti-Catholic heads simple as that.

So you know what all the anti-prohibitionists are thinking?
    You're wrong about me anyway for a start. I'm not anti-catholic in the slightest. I don't practice it but I have no problem with Catholics doing what they do as long as it doesn't involve enforcing their beliefs on others.

kingtut wrote: »
    I'd love to know why alcohol free beer cannot be purchased on good Friday (or at any time that alcohol containing beer can be).
    I wasn't aware they were prohibited from sale, but 'alcohol free' is a misnomer, as far as I know.

Maybe it's because they contain low alcohol volumes.

Club Shandy!

In the 80s, you just had to buy 50 cans of it in a newsagents and you were grand!

*sets reminder for AH mod's to copy+paste entire thread, update dates & repost for Good Friday 2016*

tHB

Looks like that won't be necessary if the law is scrapped before the 1916 commemorations next year. We can only hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Club Shandy!

In the 80s, you just had to buy 50 cans of it in a newsagents and you were grand!

Jesus, there's a blast from the past. I remember me and my friends getting all excited about it's 0.05% alcohol content!

It doesn't have to be fair. You are making the incorrect decision not to be a catholic and this law at least tries to force people to respect the rules that they should be doing by choice.[/B]

What kind of bigoted crap is this?
    You are obviously trolling here.
    And the usual suspects thanking you for it shows them up too

• Advertisement

I will be watching. But seeing it didn't happen in 1966 I don't see any prospect of the law being changed just to accommodate some Americans.

Ireland was a completely different country back then so this argument is nonsense really.
    Also 100 years is a bigger deal than 50 years

Jamsiek wrote: »
    Ireland was a completely different country back then so this argument is nonsense really.
    Also 100 years is a bigger deal than 50 years

This "completely different country" is still largely apatethic to the idea of changing the law which has now stood for nearly 90 years. Not enough people care enough to make any politician bother to do anything about it. They just have to deal with the publicans (who I was told are best buddies with the politicians) jumping up and down for a few days this time of year and then the whole thing is forgotten about.

Nothing to do with religion either. I haven't heard anything from any of the bishops and they didn't manage to preserve St Patrick's Day back in that "completely different country".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

“The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.”
    L.P. Hartley, The Go-Between

catallus wrote: »

:D:D

You are really hilarious! How many cans do you and your Knights of Columbanus impersonaters have?

"How do you gut a fish?
    Tell it you slept with it's sister."
    J.R. Hartley, Fly Fishing: Memories of Angling Days

"How do you gut a fish?
    Tell it you slept with it's sister."
    J.R. Hartley, Fly Fishing: Memories of Angling Days

And on that bombshell this thread might have finished. Except that I decided to have the last word.

• Advertisement

And on that bombshell this thread might have finished. Except that I decided to have the last word.

You think?

You think?

I am, therefore I think.

I am, therefore I think.

You forgot to finish that. You left out 'an ar$ehole'.

You forgot to finish that. You left out 'an ar$ehole'.

That would make no sense!?:confused:

That would make no sense!?:confused:

"I am an ar$ehole, Therefore I stink."

• Advertisement

"I am an ar$ehole, Therefore I stink."

Ah, now I see. You are challenging me to a battle of wits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Sad thing is, I've met enough people in my life that fit the nox mould that i can't say 100% he's a troll.

You'll also find he has no problems with drink driving either, he seems to pick and choose the laws he follows really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

You'll also find he has no problems with drink driving either, he seems to pick and choose the laws he follows really.

Shure there's no parts in d'Catechism about drink-driving, begorrah. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Just goes against the majority to get a reaction is all.

kingtut wrote: »

I went into a pub and got a bottle of alcohol free Erdinger on Good Friday, so you can buy alcohol free beer on good Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

conorh91 wrote: »
    I wasn't aware they were prohibited from sale, but 'alcohol free' is a misnomer, as far as I know.

Maybe it's because they contain low alcohol volumes.

Well from a legal point of view anything with less than 0.5% alcohol is by law alcohol free. I have never tried to purchase it on good Friday however it is in with all the other beer and therefore 'sealed off' when regular beer cannot be bought. Must enquire next time I am in there.
    I went into a pub and got a bottle of alcohol free Erdinger on Good Friday, so you can buy alcohol free beer on good Friday.

You can if you find one that is open :P thanks for letting me know though.
    Still unsure what will happen if I ask for some in a supermarket. Must check :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement