Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Friday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Its all relevant to good farmers.

;)

The golf course is open and that's where I will be.

Won't touch drink that day either as its a day of abstinence. Plenty of time over the rest of the weeknd to make up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

What about restaurants that allow you to bring your own bottle?
    Is that against the law?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

For those who are in bad need there's always the local Dog Track......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Chucken wrote: »
    Is that against the law?

It is, your best bet is get some lucozade bottles. Empty them and fill them with whiskey.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

That's what you get for living in the bog! Fair enough.

Look who's talking :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Nim wrote: »
    Look who's talking :pac:

<___<..............

...............>____>

Don't know what you're talking about...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

It is, your best bet is get some lucozade bottles. Empty them and fill them with whiskey.

How is it? I thought the law was that alcohol couldn't be sold.

Em, you can't drink alcohol. It's a day of abstinence. The bible said so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Em, you can't drink alcohol. It's a day of abstinence. The bible said so.
    I read that as, 'it's a day of absinthe' :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Buy it the day before.

Mesrine65 wrote: »

:eek:

Blasphemy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Buy it the day before.

Amen, brother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Tomorrow is Sunday :confused:

I'm practicing.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I can't understand why Good Friday isn't a public holiday as it in the UK. It would make sense to move one of the forthcoming Bank Holidays.

It would be nice to have a four day weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I havent had a dry good friday in years, and I dont drink at home or at parties. We go in to work and get a bit of heavy cleaning done then the party begins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Discodog wrote: »
    I can't understand why Good Friday isn't a public holiday as it in the UK. It would make sense to move one of the forthcoming Bank Holidays.

Agreed - I can take GF off but I have to use an annual leave day. So won't be bothering. There'll be feck all people in the office and I can just pop my headphones in and plough through a couple of days work unhindered by the phone and colleagues. But a national 4 day weekend sounds great. Piss up Thursday night, die Friday. Back on the lash the other 3 days. (Or insert here whatever other thing people do for entertainment)

Discodog wrote: »

Most people have it off, well most people I know anyway and in a mix of private and public sector jobs. counts the same as a bank holiday to me, day off but doesn't come out of my annual leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Is that against the law?

There are a string of Chinese restaurants along parnell st that are all BYOB and I'm reliably informed if your booze runs out mid-meal a few of them will 'find' some for you if you grease the wheels a little bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Answer me this AH, I'm going to a wedding on good friday, I assume I'll be able to have a few beers at the hotel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

eviltwin wrote: »
    Answer me this AH, I'm going to a wedding on good friday, I assume I'll be able to have a few beers at the hotel?
    Yeah the country is basically run like an Islamic state on Good Friday.

You can buy alcohol in the hotels, or consume it at home, but there are no sales of alcohol to the general public, unless you're 'connected'.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Residents only I believe, though I'm not sure how strictly enforced that is. Do you have a room?

Residents only I believe, though I'm not sure how strictly enforced that is. Do you have a room?

No. I don't mind really, I can live without it but if its that strict I can see there being a riot :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

No. I don't mind really, I can live without it but if its that strict I can see there being a riot :D

Is there room in a suitcase for a few bottles? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭unfortunately

People saying "it's only one day" or "can you do without drink for a day" or "buy it before hand". That's not the point. It's the principle, I might not drink on Friday but I don't want my choice or freedom removed especially for some arbitrary religion I don't follow. I understand that in some cases my freedom might be reduced but it better be for a f*cking good reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

"It's only one day" is missing a lot of people's point. I and others don't think bars and off-licences should close on Good Friday for religious reasons, not because we can't cope with a day of no drink (we'd only need to stock up before Good Friday if that were the case) but simply because we're not religious and are of the view that the option should be there if we want to avail of it (it's otherwise just a normal Friday, and Friday is an evening people like to head out) - e.g. what if friends are visiting from abroad and would like to head out for a drink?

Those who are practising catholics can just not drink and not go to the pub, they would have that option either way (and all the best to them); those who aren't practising catholics haven't.

It's not just atheists, what about people of other faiths (who can drink)? "Ireland is a catholic country" - the majority religion is Roman catholicism but it still shouldn't be imposed on the significant number who don't practise it.

I won't have much work to do Friday as it will be very quiet, so I probably won't go in, but I'll have to take the time off out of my annual leave.

People saying "it's only one day" or "can you do without drink for a day" or "buy it before hand". That's not the point.
    "It's only one day" is missing a lot of people's point.
    Gaaaah you beat me to it! :p

Is there room in a suitcase for a few bottles? :D

There will be now ;)

This pisses me off. I haven't had a drink since Christmas Day, I've been looking forward to this wedding for months, I'm going to be seeing a lot of friends for the first time in 12 months, its the first time my group of friends will all be together in nearly 4 years.... a few drinks to celebrate our friends wedding and our reunion would have made the day. We are all responsible people and not one of us is Christian so why can't we buy a drink. Its ridiculous. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭unfortunately

Gaaaah you beat me to it! :p

Great minds. Maybe we should go for a drink?

There will be now ;)

This pisses me off. I haven't had a drink since Christmas Day, I've been looking forward to this wedding for months, I'm going to be seeing a lot of friends for the first time in 12 months, its the first time my group of friends will all be together in nearly 4 years.... a few drinks to celebrate our friends wedding and our reunion would have made the day. We are all responsible people and not one of us is Christian so why can't we buy a drink. Its ridiculous. :mad:
    This is it: I find the "It's only one day, oh the Irish are such alcoholics" thing pretty dishonest - above is a perfect example of why the option should be there and it's not all about not coping with one day of no drink, and wanting to stick to religious people etc. There are other reasons besides those puerile ones.
    Great minds. Maybe we should go for a drink?
    I'm free this Friday! Oh wait...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

This is it: I find the "It's only one day, oh the Irish are such alcoholics" thing pretty dishonest

It is completely dishonest. If the best reason you have for legislating 1 day of the year out of providing a product is "Irish people drink too much anyway", "you can buy it the night before, just do that." Or "You can get it in airports etc" then the law is at best completely ineffective anyway and has no place being on a modern country's statute. The only thing it does effectively is embarrass us internationally and alienate people who aren't Christian.

From a business point of view forcing pubs to close on the Friday of a Bank Holiday weekend seems a bit mad.

I wonder though....if there was a u-turn on this and the Gov said it would allow the sale of alcohol, would there be much of an outcry?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

From a business point of view forcing pubs to close on the Friday of a Bank Holiday weekend seems a bit mad.

I wonder though....if there was a u-turn on this and the Gov said it would allow the sale of alcohol, would there be much of an outcry?

I wouldn't have thought so. Seems an easy win for Government. Populist and progressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I wouldn't have thought so. Seems an easy win for Government. Populist and progressive.
    Not that easy yet. There's less and less people against it, but there's a bigger and bigger proportion of them that vote. Just have to grin and bear it for another year or two, depending on how next year goes.

There will be now ;)

Who ever booked their wedding for good Friday isn't very bright. Obviously not a catholic wedding as it wouldn't be allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I'm always abroad on Good Friday. I'll be chilling in a pub somewhere. Sucks to be the rest ye drowning in your hordes of alcomohols purchased from the night before.

While you'refalling around your package holiday hell hole, the rest of us will be imbued with the spirit of our Lord
    Who's laughing now?

It's still you, isn't it? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Who ever booked their wedding for good Friday isn't very bright. Obviously not a catholic wedding as it wouldn't be allowed.
    Nor Jewish or Muslim either.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Do you leave the country on purpose just cos its good Friday?

When I lived in Ireland I always left Easter weekend and went out on good Friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Mesrine65 wrote: »

Well thats how the Irish treat it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

For all the people complaining about the pubs being closed on good Fridays there is a general election coming up next year and perhaps whenever a candidate comes to your house you should ask them to raise this issue in the dáil or beforehand you could send e-mails to TD's and ask them to do something about it.

We're great in this country for complaining about things while simultaneously doing nothing to change things.

The golf course is open and that's where I will be.

Won't touch drink that day either as its a day of abstinence. Plenty of time over the rest of the weeknd to make up for it.

For me it's the start of a 4 day weekend so I'll be enjoying pints in the pub that day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

The Pub, one of those places that AH posters won't visit because they are too expensive, but who seem to get mortally offended when they close for two days a year. Those places.

A rare talent that. Being able to speak for every member of Boards.ie. I didn't believe in a God until I read your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I work in a pub and we are in on good friday....for 'Cleaning'

Will all the regulars be there with their mops & buckets too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

kfallon wrote: »
    Name should be done under The Trades Description Act imo

You can still ****. Which usually makes for an excellent friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

You can still ****. Which usually makes for an excellent friday.

Can do that any Friday!

• Advertisement

Jamsiek wrote: »
    For me it's the start of a 4 day weekend so I'll be enjoying pints in the pub that day

Its a 5 day weekend for me as I'm talking holy Thursday off in addition to having good friday off.

No drink, no meat and a good round of golf will be my good friday like always. Plenty will be drank the rest of the weekend to though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I don't see a problem with so-called good friday... I purchase my few beers on a thursday and an extra few for friday, and the Christians have their worship day so all is balanced and good with both sides happy as larry.

Well unless you drink in a pub then you're screwed, but who cares about pubs.

Its a 5 day weekend for me as I'm talking holy Thursday off in addition to having good friday off.

No drink, no meat and a good round of golf will be my good friday like always. Plenty will be drank the rest of the weekend to though ;)

That's fine by me. You are exercising your choice freely and that's a good thing.
    I think more of us should be able to do what we want without nanny state rules blocking us.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Junglewoman

There will be now ;)

From what I recall from my hotel days, if you are in a private function room with no access available to the general public, and the alcohol is out of view of the general public, the bar will serve the wedding guests.

No it's not a Catholic wedding. It's a normal day of business for most industries, hospitality is no different. It's mad to have a random Friday during their off season made even more unattractive to potential punters due to some archaic religious rule.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement