Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Friday

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Junglewoman

eviltwin wrote: »
    No it's not a Catholic wedding. It's a normal day of business for most industries, hospitality is no different. It's mad to have a random Friday during their off season made even more unattractive to potential punters due to some archaic religious rule.

Did you ring the venue to check?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Ill having the annual good friday piss up in my house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Did you ring the venue to check?

It's not that big a deal. I rarely drink myself so I won't really miss it but it would be nice to have the option. I can't speak for the other guests though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Another crazy thing about good friday is the fact you cant eat meat on that day and you have to have fish.

What does the Bible say about people like me who a Seafood allergy to all kinds of seafood and if i eat any i could end up in A and E ?.

Will be having myself a nice fillet steak for my dinner on good friday like i do every year :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Another crazy thing about good friday is the fact you cant eat meat on that day and you have to have fish.

What does the Bible say about people like me who a Seafood allergy to all kinds of seafood and if i eat any i could end up in A and E ?.

Will be having myself a nice fillet steak for my dinner on good friday like i do every year :D

You're just going to have to starve yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭2Bints1Joe

No good friday agreement here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

There is no work for me on good friday so I now love this day. Think ill celebrate by going to mass and have fish and chips after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

If I was a vegan, I would insist on having a steak on GF. I'm Irish for god's sake. You cannot tell me what not to do. Ancient GF catholic blessing for steak: [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]"You were born a cow, died a cow, but now you're a fish. Amen. " Various denominations have declared the following to be fish so depending on where you live, you can eat muskrat, beaver, swan, alligator and the foetus of a rabbit.

If the pope tells me I can eat beaver on Friday, who am I to argue?
    [/FONT]
    As for drink, the local hotel bar is open if I fancy a few tipples

eviltwin wrote: »
    No it's not a Catholic wedding. It's a normal day of business for most industries, hospitality is no different. It's mad to have a random Friday during their off season made even more unattractive to potential punters due to some archaic religious rule.

It's not a normal day of business, an awful out of people have the day off and loads of non-retail related business are closed for the day.

Nobody should have booked a wedding for good Friday. Aside from the fact pubs are closed and the hotel may not be allowed to serve drink (at an occasion that for most people is a massive pi*s up) its not really a suitable day for a big celebration being good Friday and all where you shouldn't drink or eat meat. The hotel must have been offering a serious discount....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It's not a normal day of business, an awful out of people have the day off and loads of non-retail related business are closed for the day.

Nobody should have booked a wedding for good Friday. Aside from the fact pubs are closed and the hotel may not be allowed to serve drink (at an occasion that for most people is a massive pi*s up) its not really a suitable day for a big celebration being good Friday and all where you shouldn't drink or eat meat. The hotel must have been offering a serious discount....

I'd love to see in the statute book where it says you can't eat meat. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

...if you're a practising Catholic.

Why would pubs being closed matter?
    And I'm pretty sure the hotel can serve alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

I'd love to see in the statute book where it says you can't eat meat. :p

http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/firstthoughts/2013/02/the-ten-most-wonderful-and-strange-foods-for-lent

Eat beaver on days of abstinence, who am I to argue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

It's ridiculously outdated. You can buy alcohol in Rome on Good Friday but not in Ireland. Why has this nonsense not been done away with? Judging by the amount of house parties every year I'm guessing more booze is consumed on that day than any other day of the year.

Is Ireland the only country that has this law in place? I know it's definitely not the case here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Checked with the bride and the hotel does serve alcohol and - gasp! - there is beef on the menu. Shocking isn't it. If your religion is important to you and you want to observe the rules of your church go ahead but don't force those not of your faith to follow suit. Worry about yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Is Ireland the only country that has this law in place? I know it's definitely not the case here.

New Zealand, parts of Germany, parts of Australia. All the backward places. :p There's parts of the US you can't get a drink any day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Says who???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I thought meat on Friday was now ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

My local hardware stores closes two days a year for stocktaking. It's an outrage in this day and age. Why should I have to buy a sheet of 8x4 24 hours in advance of needing it, or drive into Derry for a tube of silicone.

I'm so enraged I could moan incessantly on the internet about it. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

And I assume they choose to do so out of their own free will ? What is the actual point of forcing a business to close on a specific day of the year ? Fair enough, a pub wants to close on Good Friday for the day off, but they shouldn't be forced to for no apparent reason other than their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Im sure a few countries ban it for Ramadan. Maybe we should bring it in? It's only 1 month and you can always stock up the other 11 months of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It has nothing directly to with the catholic church, given that Vatican city permit the sale of alcohol on good friday. As a practicing a la carte catholic I will probably be enjoying fish and chips washed down with a good white that evening.

There seems to be a certain set who are eager to link any "backward" annoyances back to the Catholic church that like to comment on these threads without having a clue about the origin of the law.

We already proved that money and vintner interests trump the law anyway when Limerick's publicans received an exemption. To be honest I couldn't care less about the ban, but it speaks volumes that a closure of less than 1% of days for pubs causes biblical levels of outrage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Red Alert wrote: »
    It has nothing directly to with the catholic church, given that Vatican city permit the sale of alcohol on good friday. As a practicing a la carte catholic I will probably be enjoying fish and chips washed down with a good white that evening.

There seems to be a certain set who are eager to link any "backward" annoyances back to the Catholic church that like to comment on these threads without having a clue about the origin of the law.

We already proved that money and vintner interests trump the law anyway when Limerick's publicans received an exemption. To be honest I couldn't care less about the ban, but it speaks volumes that a closure of less than 1% of days for pubs causes biblical levels of outrage.

It has everything to do with the Catholic Church but not from Rome but the Irish Catholic Church itself and its excess of power and influence on the government that it had in its day.

It's time to repeal it and not have any laws in the land based on religion.

If adults want to have a drink on Good Friday let them do so and if the religious don't then its their own choice that should not be forced on others.

Imagine a tourist arriving in Ireland for the first time for an Easter weekend break and discover all the famous Irish bars closed on Friday. They must think we're an extremist state that the likes of ISIS would dream of.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Red Alert wrote: »

I'm sorry but are you suggesting that the ban on the sale of alcohol on Good Friday has nothing to do with Christianity? Enlighten us on the origin of the law, then.

I don't think anyone is as outraged as you think they are. I just find it bizarre want to see the ban removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Harrison Wells II

Paying lip service to a dead faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Nim wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is as outraged as you think they are.
    I'm certainly not seeing outrage on this thread - just a few people going on about an outrage that's not apparent. If anything there's more outrage from the people claiming there's outrage about the pubs not being open!
    Those who aren't practising catholics and therefore not observing Good Friday rules just want to have the choice to go to the pub if the fancy takes them, nothing more. It's really not an outrageous demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Those who aren't practising catholics and therefore not observing Good Friday rules just want to have the choice to go to the pub if the fancy takes them, nothing more. It's really not an outrageous demand.

This in a nutshell. The beliefs of one particular faith should not be the law of the land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭RayCon

murpho999 wrote: »
    It's time to repeal it and not have any laws in the land based on religion.

a billion times this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Alexis15413

I normal stock up some beers and meats for that day and buy a good movie to enjoy that quiet day. Good friday doesn't bother me much :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Theirs 3 pubs where I'm from, all will be serving alcohol on good Friday, all you need to do is ring the owner and your in, they will do the same trade on good Friday as most other days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    Perhaps they buy their booze in the off licenses which are also closed. Maybe they just don't like having religious rules that they don't ascribe to dictating any aspects of their life. I certainly don't.

What is it one out of three days of the year when the pubs close and people complain. Forget about religion its Bloody pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

crazygeryy wrote: »
    What is it one out of three days of the year when the pubs close and people complain. Forget about religion its Bloody pathetic.

So what are you trying to say?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Pubs being not opened a year more important than social issues such as unemployment and emigration are seen as more pressing issues among the Irish so it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

Pubs being not opened a year more important than social issues such as unemployment and emigration are seen as more pressing issues among the Irish so it seems.

If your little baba brain can onoy manage one thing to think about at once, then pick unemployment or emigration and have a good think about them. I'm an adult so I can post about religious laws in a modern European country and then post about unemployment or emigration when a thread comes up about them. It's a useful skill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

What I hate about it is that they only tell you on the day itself that alcohol won't be on sale. How are we supposed to know!?!
    I normal stock up some beers and meats for that day and buy a good movie to enjoy that quiet day. Good friday doesn't bother me much :)

There's no need to stock up on meat.
      The Church says that you can't eat meat but you can drink alcohol.
    • The State says that you can't buy alcohol but you can buy meat.

(Obviously, I know the law was heavily influenced by the Church, although it's the local Church. I don't know why the Vatican was brought into the discussion).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

It's vaguely annoying but I'll do a booze run today or tomorrow so I'm prepared if I fancy a drink after the match on Friday. No biggie really with the long weekend coming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Chalk it down. I'm off to Leon tomorrow for some festival for a lad who was killed by a bin lorry years ago. Serious two day p*ss up. If a country like Spain can tolerate beer on Good Friday I can't see the need for legislation here preventing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Don't be worrying yourself, unemployment is down from 15% to 9% in two years.

The Church says that you can't eat meat but you can drink alcohol.

Incorrect. Its a day of abstinence so you aren't supposed to eat meat or drink alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

From what I recall from my hotel days, if you are in a private function room with no access available to the general public, and the alcohol is out of view of the general public, the bar will serve the wedding guests.

Ah feck, I was hoping to have a pint in a hotel's bar.

Does anyone know if showing a Leap Card is enough to get served in the pub at a train station? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

murpho999 wrote: »

They must think we're an extremist state that the likes of ISIS would dream of.

Hyperbole much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Incorrect. Its a day of abstinence so you aren't supposed to eat meat or drink alcohol.

Whatever the local church says or doesn't say, I think this day of abstinence thing is pointless anyway. The no meat thing was a church teaching because it was seen as something rich people ate, poor people could rarely afford meat, so they only ate fish. For whatever reason, Ireland brought this obervence in, but allowed meat to be still sold. It's a stupid church teaching anyway when you think about it, because nowadays fish is just as expensive as meat. Fish is also a type of meat, yoy are killing something that is living and breathing.

Follow what you want to believe, but don't be surprised that other people think this drink law and no meat observence is ridiculous and don't observe it. Also, this law (no alcohol sold) used to apply to St.Patrick's Day as well but was removed in 1960. So, it can be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Catholics/Christians aren't. I can eat and drink whatever the hells I want, thanks very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Hyperbole much?

No, just the odd time to emphasise a point.

Thanks for asking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Missing the point. It's about having the choice. It is 2015 afterall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Jamsiek wrote: »

Why because you have no choice in the other 364 days of the year?
    its just one day without pubs,one day, you can still drink if you buy it on Thursday.
    Are you that badly affected by the pubs closing for one day? You need help if you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

its just one day without pubs,one day, you can still drink if you buy it on Thursday.
    Are you that badly affected by the pubs closing for one day? You need help if you are.
    Jamsiek wrote: »

:rolleyes:

If you can give one good reason for banning the sale of alcohol on a random day (incidentally it is two days, used to be three) then let us see it. Saying it is just one day, or two days a year is not good enough. It doesn't affect me or Jamsiek anyway because we are both outside of Ireland, but still think it's a stupid law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It's that because of a religion that I don't even believe in I don't have that choice on a Friday in April. That I can buy drink the rest of the year doesn't come into it. My freedom is being curtailed because some Holy Joes are afraid people will go to the pub rather than to church. I probably wouldn't drink anyway, but the choice has been taken away from me.

If you couldn't buy a pack of sausages one day a year because of some Islamic holiday you'd be pissed off because of it because it's an intrusion into your life by a belief system and set of myths that you don't subscribe to.

I bet that there is probably more drinking done on GF by 'Catholics' than on any other day of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

House party night, how bad?

kylith wrote: »

I bet that there is probably more drinking done on GF by 'Catholics' than on any other day of the year.

If not, making up for it on the Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

dry your eyes, it's one day. Go for a walk, read a book. Do something other than gurn about not drinking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement