Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Friday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

crazygeryy wrote: »
    What is it one out of three days of the year when the pubs close and people complain. Forget about religion its Bloody pathetic.
    how is it "pathetic" . a particular industry is being forced against its will not to trade for no reason. at least no good reason. lets face it, its not as if the law makes people "abstain" . it could be argued it causes people to drink more. whats the harm in removing this pointless law and let people make their own choices? the law achieves nothing, and any pub which doesn't want to open and anyone who doesn't want to drink or go to the pub don't have to. freedom of choice trumps any reason for this law

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Jamsiek wrote: »
    Missing the point. It's about having the choice. It is 2015 afterall.

No harm denying people a choice every now and then. Just because people want the choice doesn't mean they should have it.

Why because you have no choice in the other 364 days of the year?
    its just one day without pubs,one day, you can still drink if you buy it on Thursday.
    Are you that badly affected by the pubs closing for one day? You need help if you are.
    because maybe he wants to buy his drink and enjoy it in a pub on the friday instead. as he should have the choice to do and not be told he can't because of an invisible man up in the sky. the fact its 1 day means nothing. you have no reason that this law should remain. it doesn't achieve anything. it doesn't stop people from drinking. it does nothing. whats the point?

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

No harm denying people a choice every now and then. Just because people want the choice doesn't mean they should have it.
    but what for? why shouldn't they have the choice to drink on good friday. what does this law achieve. apart from causing loss of revenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

We get it man, you're Catholic and think everyone should live just like you. But that day is long gone and the country is much better for it. It just takes Ireland a couple of decades longer than everyone else, but we get there eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

its just one day without pubs,one day, you can still drink if you buy it on Thursday.
    Are you that badly affected by the pubs closing for one day? You need help if you are.

You still aren't getting it.
    It's about having a religious nanny state law dictated to everyone.
    What about the 30 million euro lost by the tourism industry that day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Stop interfering in how people want to live their lives.

Yes, I agree.

What?

dry your eyes, it's one day. Go for a walk, read a book. Do something other than gurn about not drinking.
    i'l do what i like thanks. i won't be told what to do for an invisible man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Free will is a precious gift from God, for it lets us love him with our “whole heart”—because we want to.—Matthew 22:37.

What a load of horse shite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It's amazing how people think like that but only when it doesn't affect them personally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

If people aren't Catholic, they should have the choice. And happily they do. :) You can't buy booze on Good Friday, but you can let it pass your lips. Woo! \o/

As for meat, can it be bought and enjoyed on Good Friday, and will be by many people.

Enjoy following arbitrary rules this coming Friday.

I actually don't really care about booze not being sold on Good Friday, it's way the list of things that need changing in this country. As long as nobody gets up in my grill about eating meat and drinking alcohol. I remember sanctimonious bitches in school admonishing me for eating meat on Ash Wednesday. Am, fúck right off, perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Not this thing again, It's disgraceful.
    People wrestling each other to the ground just get discounted TVs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The Pub, one of those places that AH posters won't visit because they are too expensive, but who seem to get mortally offended when they close for two days a year. Those places.
    Yes, pubs are expensive, a lot of people I know would only go to a pub a few times a year. If they picked some random day out of a hat each year to close it would not be as big an issue. Like if it was today I doubt people would be as pissed off. They may be annoyed on behalf of the business owners.

Many people are forced to take annual leave on good friday, against their wishes. Friday would be a popular drinking day anyway, but a day of forced annual leave, on a friday, on a bank holiday weekend would be a popular day for people to meet up in a pub.

So don't make out like its 2 random days, if there was a public vote to select 2 days of forced closure I would expect good friday, patricks day, christmas eve & new years eve would not be popular days to pick, either by the public or the publicans.

I have heard idiots saying publicans like it as its a day to get stuff done, like painting or something, if you bothered to actually think about that you would realise its nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

True RC colours, right here.

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    I remember sanctimonious bitches in school admonishing me for eating meat on Ash Wednesday. Am, fúck right off, perhaps?

I always point it out to people at work on ash wednesday when they eat meat, I do it in a joking way but I do mean it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Why should people be denied the choice of whether or not to participate in a perfectly legal activity because of the beliefs of a subset of the population?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I always point it out to people at work on ash wednesday when they eat meat, I do it in a joking way but I do mean it.

Assuming that everyone shares religious beliefs with you is a dick move.

Well, you shouldn't, it's none of your business. And not everyone is Catholic. Can you explain how it's appropriate to impose your religious views on someone who may not share them?

How would you feel about someone commenting, "jokingly", on your boozing habits or personal hygiene?

If you "jokingly" commented on me eating meat on one the Catholic abstinence days, I wouldn't be long "jokingly" putting you in your place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I don't drink and I'm still going on the lash tomorrow, just to be on the safe side come good friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

it's not down as a statutory public holiday on the Government website LINK. So if you are working, you are not entitled to any sweetener (day in lieu, double pay etc)... Anybody else any input on this?

"Good Friday is not a public holiday. While some schools and businesses close on that day, you have no automatic entitlement to time off work on that day."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I don't go to bars often and I wouldn't be in one on Good Friday, but I do think it's time the goverment changed the legislation and let it be a normal trading day for booze. It's the start of Easter weekend and we have tourists coming to the country for a weekend break, they can't get a drink on that day and it makes the country look ridiculous. If people don't want to consume alcohol on that day for religious reasons that's fine, what isn't fine is that their beliefs are inflicted on everybody else.

Surely changing the legislation on a ban of the sale of alcohol would have been a better question to put to a referendum than what the minimum age should be for Presidential candidates.

How would you feel about someone commenting, "jokingly", on your boozing habits

Happens often and doesnt bother me in the least, infact I get a laugh out of it.

its funny though how I, a person who probably goes to the pub twice a week on average is actually defending something that people who don't even go to the pub are complaining about.
    or personal hygiene?

Never happens as there is no reason for it to be brought up.

but its none of your business. they haven't been struck down yet so obviously holy god couldn't give a ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Surely changing the legislation on a ban of the sale of alcohol would have been a better question to put to a referendum than what the minimum age should be for Presidential candidates.

It doesn't need to be put to a referendum. It can easily be changed with the stroke of a pen. It was brought in in 1927 and originally included St Patrick's Day which was removed in the 1960's. The fact that anyone in Ireland can still buy it in a hotel residence bar, train and bus stations, or if there is a rugby match on somewhere, illustrates that Ireland introduces an Irish solution to an Irish problem (purely of "our" own making), rather than using logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I'd be in the camp of not giving a sh1t personally as its only one day but it's still wrong and stupid to force the prohibition of alcohol on religious grounds. Pubs should be opened Christmas day as well if they so choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Hang on, When doing mass on that day don't you drink wine ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

No silly, you're drinking the blood of christ. Completely different.

There is no mass on good Friday, its the stations of the cross. The post above is also correct however.

Happens often and doesnt bother me in the least, infact I get a laugh out of it.

its funny though how I, a person who probably goes to the pub twice a week on average is actually defending something that people who don't even go to the pub are complaining about.

Because it's your religion. It's not my religion yet it is being forced on me, which is why I take umbrage despite the fact that I rarely drink.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

According to the bible no alcohol should be consumed in a holy place so they have more to worry about than just drinking on good friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

The word mass is an abbreviated form of Mental Slaves.

According to the bible no alcohol should be consumed in a holy place so they have more to worry about than just drinking on good friday.

It's ok, it's not alcohol; it's blood. The priest says so :rolleyes:

kylith wrote: »

Well if it's blood the person must have been hammered 24/7 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Had a great encounter with an Indian in the kebab shop last night asking about the "fasting" on good friday. He was fascinated to the point where my chips were over cooked. He didn't think things like that happened in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

It is blood, but still has the physical properties of wine or something. I couldn't keep up with the explanation of its blood but we cant prove its blood because it still shows as wine. I'll try that one if I ever got pulled over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

If you don't want to drink on this particular day, then don't. Nobody is forcing you to.
    Are you that weak willed that you need the law to keep you out of the pub on a Friday night?

It is blood, but still has the physical properties of wine or something. I couldn't keep up with the explanation of its blood but we cant prove its blood because it still shows as wine. I'll try that one if I ever got pulled over.
    Yep, just the same way that the crackers definitely turn into flesh which is magically and mysteriously is totally indistinguishable from cracker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I'm coming home this Friday, outraged that I won't be able to have a decent pint of Guinness in my local.

Are off licenses open so I can buy a few cans of draught ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's not a normal day of business, an awful out of people have the day off and loads of non-retail related business are closed for the day.

Nobody should have booked a wedding for good Friday. Aside from the fact pubs are closed and the hotel may not be allowed to serve drink (at an occasion that for most people is a massive pi*s up) its not really a suitable day for a big celebration being good Friday and all where you shouldn't drink or eat meat. The hotel must have been offering a serious discount....

Since when is it not a normal day of business?

I work in a normal business and I'm working on Friday.

And who the hell is going to know whenever Good Friday lands it's not like Chirstmas, the date changes each year? I've no need to keep up with it, I only know its this Friday because of people moaning about it the last 2 weeks. Are you going to be checking that 10 months in advance of booking a wedding?
    the_monkey wrote: »
    I'm coming home this Friday, outraged that I won't be able to have a decent pint of Guinness in my local.

Nope. Only Theatres, Hotels, Train Stations.

How are you travelling? They might be selling in the air/port. Google it.

Edit: No. Normal off licenses won't be open.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

OK, well Dublin Airport I doubt will be selling it ... I can get my Mam to stock up tomorrow so :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

If it was Good Tuesday no one would give a rats.

If only he hadn't of died on a **** Friday! :(

OK, well Dublin Airport I doubt will be selling it ... I can get my Mam to stock up tomorrow so :)

Actually, if there's any drinks I'd put money on Dublin selling in cans, it'd be Guinness. Might as well get the Ma to get it for you though to remind her of days gone past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Well it's like a spider-baby. It's got the body of a spider, and the mind of a baby.

Or maybe it's just a spider in a pram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

If you couldn't buy a pack of sausages one day a year because of some Islamic holiday you'd be pissed off because of it because it's an intrusion into your life by a belief system and set of myths that you don't subscribe to.

I bet that there is probably more drinking done on GF by 'Catholics' than on any other day of the year.

Exactly this. I am so sick of hearing that Catholicism is Ireland;s 'national religion', which is insane. Plus, most people in this country would go bezerk if you couldn't buy sausages for a day for something they didn't believe in!

It seems the government is attempting to retire this law in anticipation of the 1916 centenary (due to tourism barrier no doubt). They just revoke Christian laws when it suits. Hopefully they might look at more important things the Church have a monopoly on, like state funded education.

I will be drinking (moderately) on Friday night in a BYOB restaurant, mostly because a lot of my friends work in bars and off licences, and it was a night I could plan in advance, guaranteeing everyone will be available in the evening. I'm off, but it's a company day, just like when we get Christmas Eve off. If you had to claim religious affiliation to get the day off, however, I think I'd be OK in a half empty office.

mejulie805 wrote: »
    Exactly this. I am so sick of hearing that Catholicism is Ireland;s 'national religion', which is insane. Plus, most people in this country would go bezerk if you couldn't buy sausages for a day for something they didn't believe in!

It seems the government is attempting to retire this law in anticipation of the 1916 centenary (due to tourism barrier no doubt). They just revoke Christian laws when it suits. Hopefully they might look at more important things the Church have a monopoly on, like state funded education.

I will be drinking (moderately) on Friday night in a BYOB restaurant, mostly because a lot of my friends work in bars and off licences, and it was a night I could plan in advance, guaranteeing everyone will be available in the evening. I'm off, but it's a company day, just like when we get Christmas Eve off. If you had to claim religious affiliation to get the day off, however, I think I'd be OK in a half empty office.

And maybe that Blasphemy law.

Since when is it not a normal day of business?

I work in a normal business and I'm working on Friday.

And an awful lot of people have it off (including myself, I cant ever recall working good Friday I treat it as an additional bank holiday), I hardly know anyone who is working good friday and not because they are taking the day off but because its an official day off where they work (people in both private and public sector jobs).

If it was a normal day of business a large number of people wouldn't have the day off and plenty of businesses which are closed would be open.
    Are you going to be checking that 10 months in advance of booking a wedding?

Absolutely, people pick the weekend they have their wedding extremely carefully in order to either coincide or avoid different events. Particularly if booking it around a time of year where it might clash with something.

And an awful lot of people have it off (including myself, I cant ever recall working good Friday I treat it as an additional bank holiday), I hardly know anyone who is working good friday and not because they are taking the day off but because its an official day off where they work (people in both private and public sector jobs).

Some of those people have probably had to take annual leave though and had no choice in it.

Some of those people have probably had to take annual leave though and had no choice in it.

As far as I know most get it as an additional day off (from asking people before), I do for sure anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If it was a normal day of business a large number of people wouldn't have the day off and plenty of businesses which are closed would be open.

Absolutely, people pick the weekend they have their wedding extremely carefully in order to either coincide or avoid different events. Particularly if booking it around a time of year where it might clash with something.

Selectively quoting. Kinda feels like you ignored what i said.

To a whole load of people good friday isnt an event. Most dont even know when it is until its about to come up.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement