Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Friday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Absolutely, people pick the weekend they have their wedding extremely carefully in order to either coincide or avoid different events. Particularly if booking it around a time of year where it might clash with something.

The couple in question are not Catholic, I doubt they even considered the issue of Good Friday back when they booked the venue. It wouldn't have even been on their radar. They booked their venue two years ago, I don't think its totally outside the realm of reason that they should be allowed to have access to alcohol on their wedding day. Will it kill us to not have a drink? No it won't but its the principal of the thing. I don't abuse alcohol so the whole "ah can you not have a day without de drink" doesn't hold water for me. Also I'm not a Catholic so why should I be made follow the rules of your faith? What difference does it make to you either way if I have a glass of wine or a glass of juice with my dinner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Selectively quoting. Kinda feels like you ignored what i said.

To a whole load of people good friday isnt an event. Most dont even know when it is until its about to come up.

And on top of that if most people do not know when it is how can they be forced to follow it's rule ? If it's a Religious thing surely they would know and abstain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

As far as I know most get it as an additional day off (from asking people before), I do for sure anyway.

Well, not for everyone, and there would be a lot of private sector people working on Friday, especially in MNCs. We only heard this week that we were getting the day off, and the American office was reticent in giving it to us. I'd say you actually don't really know if many are getting it as an extra day off, can't imagine that question would crop up much.

Good Friday is no big deal to a lot of people, just another day, whether they have the day off or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I always point it out to people at work on ash wednesday when they eat meat, I do it in a joking way but I do mean it.
    Why do you do it though (serious question)? To put it mildly, it's none of your business what people do/don't eat on any given day. You want to adhere to the "no meat" rule; fine. I admire you for it. Honestly, I do. It's nice to see someone who has faith and no, I'm not being sarcastic. But it's not up to you to try to force your beliefs on others by "pointing out" to them that they're eating meat on ash wednesday. There might come a time when someone won't take it as a joke.

Selectively quoting. Kinda feels like you ignored what i said.

To a whole load of people good friday isnt an event. Most dont even know when it is until its about to come up.

You said its a normal business day, which it isn't. Yes some people work that day but a lot dont which means its not a normal business day.

Open up the pubs good friday and other people might lose a day off too as businesses that do close may decide to stay open as the importance of the day would be eroded.

Anyone booking an event such as a wedding etc will without doubt know if its on good Friday or not.

You said its a normal business day, which it isn't. Yes some people work that day but a lot dont which means its not a normal business day.

Anyone booking an event such as a wedding etc will without doubt know if its on good Friday or not.

How would they when they book the event years in advance and aren't of the Catholic faith :confused:

If a company doesn't give Good Friday off then it's a normal business day for that company.

blueser wrote: »
    Why do you do it though (serious question)? To put it mildly, it's none of your business what people do/don't eat on any given day. You want to adhere to the "no meat" rule; fine. I admire you for it. Honestly, I do. It's nice to see someone who has faith and no, I'm not being sarcastic. But it's not up to you to try to force your beliefs on others by "pointing out" to them that they're eating meat on ash wednesday. There might come a time when someone won't take it as a joke.

The people I would be saying it to would be people I'd be friendly with and they would also be officially catholics.
    Tarzana2 wrote: »
    If a company doesn't give Good Friday off then it's a normal business day for that company.

But overall across all companies and all sectors its not a normal business day.

But overall across all companies and all sectors its not a normal business day.

Doesn't matter. If a company has its employees in and can carry out its business fully, it's a normal business day for them. And many private sector companies are exactly like this.

You say you work in a multicultural workplace. How convenient that they're all Catholics!

• Advertisement

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Doesn't matter. If a company has its employees in and can carry out its business fully, it's a normal business day for them. And many private sector companies are exactly like this.

You say you work in a multicultural workplace. How convenient that they're all Catholics!

They aren't but the people I would mostly hang around with would be Irish or European from Catholic backgrounds, not by intention but that's just the people I made friends with. A lot wouldn't be practising but would identify as catholic.

They aren't but the people I would mostly hang around with would be Irish or European from Catholic backgrounds, not by intention but that's just the people I made friends with. A lot wouldn't be practising but would identify as catholic.

Well, if they're not practising then you most certainly shouldn't be flagging them eating meat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Open up the pubs good friday and other people might lose a day off too as businesses that do close may decide to stay open as the importance of the day would be eroded.

It is not a public holiday, so it is a normal business day. Any who shut shop or give their staff a day off is an exception.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the importance of the day was eroded years ago for the average person. only practicing catholics would see the day as important. the rest of us don't, it means nothing to us. the date changes every year so there is no way people would know when booking a venue for an event.
    The people I would be saying it to would be people I'd be friendly with and they would also be officially catholics.

but its none of your business. just because they might be officially catholic doesn't mean they are a practicing catholic, so therefore they may not want to practice the customs.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Nope. Only Theatres, Hotels, Train Stations.

I wonder if Cineworld on Parnell St have their bar open on Good Friday. Then again, it only serves the mass-brewed beers. :/

It is not a public holiday, so it is a normal business day. Any who shut shop or give their staff a day off is an exception.

No they are not an exception there are an awful lot of places closed.

Banks and other financial services business are closed, most (if not all) public offices are closed, universitys are closed, schools are closed, loads of small business close, plenty of big businesses close and all the pubs in the country are closed.

How on earth can you call it a normal business day and say somewhere closing is an exception? I'll be playing golf friday morning with 3 other people all who have the day off and all who work in different private sector business and have the day off (I work in the public sector and I most certainly have a day off).
    the importance of the day was eroded years ago for the average person. only practicing catholics would see the day as important. the rest of us don't, it means nothing to us. the date changes every year so there is no way people would know when booking a venue for an event.

If you are booking a wedding from mid-march to mid april you would be a total idiot not to check if its easter weekend, I'd be surprised if a hotel didnt advise you on it to be honest.

I'm going to a number of weddings in the next month starting the weekend straight after Easter, do you think its just by chance all they all missed booking it around the easter weekend (well obviously the rest of the weekend is ok just good friday is to be avoided)?

but its none of your business. just because they might be officially catholic doesn't mean they are a practicing catholic, so therefore they may not want to practice the customs.

I like to remind them of what they should be doing.

• Advertisement

Banks and other financial services business are closed, most (if not all) public offices are closed, universitys are closed, schools are closed, loads of small business close, plenty of big businesses close and all the pubs in the country are closed.

How on earth can you call it a normal business day. I'll be playing golf friday morning with 3 other people all who have the day off and all who work in different private sector business and have the day off.

I used to get Good Friday off too but that was for cultural rather than religious reasons. I had to take it out of my leave. Why is that even relevant? There are plenty of official working holidays the pubs remain open for. If anything given that so many people are off and that its the start of a bank holiday weekend it makes sense to let pubs open so they can make a few bob off it.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

How on earth can you call it a normal business day. I'll be playing golf friday morning with 3 other people all who have the day off and all who work in different private sector business and have the day off.

It's not a normal business day for you but it is for the majority of people. I bet there are more people working on Friday than there are people who get it as a holiday.

My girlfriend has it off, but that's just because she does a lot of work with the public sector who get the day off so it wouldn't be worth their while going to work. She is the only person I know who is off on Friday.

Good Friday is a normal business day as evidenced by the fact it is not an official, recognised public holiday. As opposed to Monday, which is.

Also you need to remember that a lot of people who are off on Friday are forced to take it as annual leave. It's not necessarily a free day.

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Why because you have no choice in the other 364 days of the year?
    its just one day without pubs,one day, you can still drink if you buy it on Thursday.
    Are you that badly affected by the pubs closing for one day? You need help if you are.

It's the principle of it. People are annoyed (and to be honest a little bit disgusted) that an organisation like the church is able to influence what an entire country can do on this day.

I imagine many people, myself included, find it morally repugnant that this organisation has any influence at all and would prefer that people who wish to live a normal Friday are free to do so, and anyone who wants to abstain from drink or meat can do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

How did they react?
    I'm curious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Oh I dunno. I don't see the harm really in having people not drink for one day a year. Town centers Friday night might actually be more pleasant for a change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Now try answering the question. What business is it of yours what they choose to eat? You say they are "officially catholics" (as opposed to unofficial catholics), yes? Yet, by your own admission, you have pointed out to them when they've eaten meat on ash wednesday. Therefore, to me, it would appear they've made their choice about how they practice their religion. It's not up to you to tell them/hint to them otherwise. I find that people generally don't like being told how to live their lives (by the clergy, by politicians, by family, by nosey work colleagues, whoever); you might want to take that on board.

Jamsiek wrote: »
    How did they react?
    I'm curious

Said they forgot and said they felt a bit guilty or else said they weren't bothered. It wasn't exactly a big conversation just a comment or two (made in a jokey way) and on with the general conversation.

Said they forgot and said they felt a bit guilty or else said they weren't bothered. It wasn't exactly a big conversation just a comment or two (made in a jokey way) and on with the general conversation.

Very obnoxious of you to be honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

How on earth can you call it a normal business day and say somewhere closing is an exception? I'll be playing golf friday morning with 3 other people all who have the day off and all who work in different private sector business and have the day off (I work in the public sector and I most certainly have a day off).

If you are booking a wedding from mid-march to mid april you would be a total idiot not to check if its easter weekend, I'd be surprised if a hotel didnt advise you on it to be honest.

I'm going to a number of weddings in the next month starting the weekend straight after Easter, do you think its just by chance all they all missed booking it around the easter weekend (well obviously the rest of the weekend is ok just good friday is to be avoided)?

Banks and finiancial services are closed becuase its a bank holiday. you do know that doesnt equal public holiday? You think those folks working in the golf club are getting extra rates on a count of it "not being a normal business day" as you put it?

awec wrote: »

Funny how it bothers none of them? I count these people as good friends and lord knows we give each other dogs abuse most of the time, the meat comment is nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

awec wrote: »

Can't spell obnoxious without nox.

Funny how it bothers none of them? I count these people as good friends and lord knows we give each other dogs abuse most of the time, the meat comment is nothing.

I think expecting the entire country to dance to the whims of your religion regardless of their own faith or lackof is pretty obnoxious

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

No harm denying people a choice every now and then. Just because people want the choice doesn't mean they should have it.

This is quite possibly the most ridiculous post I've ever read on boards.ie and I've read a lot of stupid posts here.
    I always point it out to people at work on ash wednesday when they eat meat, I do it in a joking way but I do mean it.

You shouldn't be telling anyone that they shouldn't eat meat because of your religion. Even worse that you mean it.

They don't try to convince you to eat meat on your abstinence days, you shouldn't be criticising what they eat because of your faith.

How do you know they aren't calling ye an obnoxious goon behind your back?

"That fcukin nox one was giving out to me for having my hamburger".

Nim wrote: »
    This is quite possibly the most ridiculous post I've ever read on boards.ie and I've read a lot of stupid posts here.

The post was thanked by Madcon too :eek:

• Advertisement

Banks and finiancial services are closed becuase its a bank holiday. you do know that doesnt equal public holiday? You think those folks working in the golf club are getting extra rates on a count of it "not being a normal business day" as you put it?

Surely a normal business day would be a day where you can go to town and expect to conduct all or any business you wish? Than back, tax office, your accountant, have a pint?

I would very much fear that those of us who get the day off may find it being questioned if pubs were to be allowed to open which is also a very good reason for keeping the law.

I would very much fear that those of us who get the day off may find it being questioned if pubs were to be allowed to open which is also a very good reason for keeping the law.

Why would it be questioned? It's not questioned in other countries.
    If the law was changed there would be no issue

Do you mean you might no longer be given the day off if the rules changes? What would be wrong with that :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

IMHO they should change it so that everyone can eat everything, banks are open until 9pm, pubs have alcohol half price, no V.A.T on that day, loads of sales.

Then it would truly be a good Friday!

eviltwin wrote: »
    Do you mean you might no longer be given the day off if the rules changes? What would be wrong with that :confused:

Not for definite but of the pubs open then it starts to be more like a normal Friday and people in charge might say let's stop giving this as a day off.

What would be wrong with it? The fact I would be getting a day less off means there would be a lot wrong with it. I have a 5 day weekend starting now for the price of one day's annual leave.
    hynesie08 wrote: »
    Well it'll be gone by next year, and i have a sneaky suspicion that if you still have a day off, your religion will take a back seat to a 4 day pissup.

I get enough drinking done over the weekend I can survive without the Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

would very much fear that those of us who get the day off may find it being questioned if pubs were to be allowed to open which is also a very good reason for keeping the law.

Well it'll be gone by next year, and i have a sneaky suspicion that if you still have a day off, your religion will take a back seat to a 4 day pissup.

Not it's not.

but its none of your business. you don't get to decide or remind them what they "should" be doing

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Not for definite but of the pubs open then it starts to be more like a normal Friday and people in charge might say let's stop giving this as a day off.

What would be wrong with it? The fact I would be getting a day less off means there would be a lot wrong with it. I have a 5 day weekend starting now for the price of one day's annual leave.

You can still have a long weekend if you plan your holidays around it. Banning sale of alcohol so you can have your extra long weekend is a bit self centered isn't it?

• Advertisement

Or in other words: "ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME".

Anyway for Good Friday I will abstain from Meat and Alcohol. Not because I'm religious, I'm really not, but because I think its nice to have a bit of Culture.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Anyway for Good Friday I will abstain from Meat and Alcohol. Not because I'm religious, I'm really not, but because I think its nice to have a bit of Culture.

Any other Friday I'd happily go meat and booze free.

But not this one, out of principle.

awec fights the good fight against a hypocritical and woefully unqualified organisation that thinks it's in a position to provide any sort of moral guidance.

In the UK its a 4 day weekend every year without the religious nanny state law.
    It's not about getting drinking done. It's the principle of people that don't abuse alcohol looking for a place to have a drink when they want.
    If a pub wants to open on that day, they should have the right. They can close if they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I know nobody who gets the day off. I was working for a large multinational so maybe its only smaller irish businesses which give the day off?

Oh I dunno. I don't see the harm really in having people not drink for one day a year.

do you honestly think most people drink 364 days of the year? really? you honestly think then those people do "not drink for one day a year" . most of us don't drink for the majority of the week. people are drinking good friday. so you don't see the harm in something that isn't happening for many, and that would happen for those regardless of whether this pointless law that achieves nothing is abolished?

• Advertisement

You know, if I was as evil and imposing as the church I would buy a burger and a tin of beer and go and eat on the steps of a church, and remind all those entering that the church of awec says beer and meat is never wrong. Put your faith in awec and you will never feel bad for eating a steak again.

I'd ram my beliefs down their throat even if they found it annoying, cause it seems that's the way it has to work.

But I am not evil.

Carnacalla wrote: »

You are using your free choice and that is good. Pity everyone doesn't get that choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Well, I propose that Ireland bans drink over ALL the good friday weekend (Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon). Making up for it on the Saturday just makes a mockery of the Friday doesn't it?...!

Just you know because it should be like that, just as you said below:

No harm denying people a choice every now and then. Just because people want the choice doesn't mean they should have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

eviltwin wrote: »
    How would they when they book the event years in advance and aren't of the Catholic faith :confused:

TBH if you're investing a significant sum into something like a wedding then you should make it your business to know what the "bad days" in this country are for such a thing. I wouldn't have much sympathy for anyone who doesn't.

Anyway I'm not religious and will be doing what I want on Friday. Might involve alcohol, might not. I'm not going to be massively inconvenienced so I don't feel inclined to contribute to the annual moan on here about it.

Jamsiek wrote: »
    You are using your free choice and that is good. Pity everyone doesn't get that choice.

If you want to drink/eat meat you can!

You cannot be arrested for having a quiet drink at home.

It would be a dark day for all the groups that try and stop Alcohol abuse if the good Friday ban is removed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement