Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Friday

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Carnacalla wrote: »
    If you want to drink/eat meat you can!
    You cannot be arrested for having a quiet drink at home.
    It's not the same though. What about the publicans that are missing out on trade?
    It would be a dark day for all the groups that try and stop Alcohol abuse if the good Friday ban is removed
    It's going to happen anyway so why postpone the inevitable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

IMHO they should ban alcohol every Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Jon Stark wrote: »
    I'm not going to be massively inconvenienced so I don't feel inclined to contribute to the annual moan on here about it.

I think you just did.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It would be a dark day for all the groups that try and stop Alcohol abuse if the good Friday ban is removed

Bollocks.

Good Friday does nothing for alcohol abuse. Alcoholics just buy twice as much in the off license on a Thursday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Huh? Its a bit lazy to help someone that has a problem with alcohol to just cut out the possibilty to get it. It isn't dealing with their issue at all.

Huh? Its a bit lazy to help someone that has a problem with alcohol to just cut out the possibilty to get it. It isn't dealing with their issue at all.

How not? If they can't get alcohol for one day it means they don't get plastered that day and can decide properly wheater to drink the next day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

How not? If they can't get alcohol for one day it means they don't get plastered that day and can decide properly wheater to drink the next day.

The problems people have with substance abuse, are rarely the substance Itself. Revoking access to the substance doesn't deal with what put them in the state they are in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I just see Good Friday as a sort of weird little cultural anomaly and I genuinely don't understand why people get so worked up about it. Yeah, it's a weird old tradition that remains in law but it's not as if the guards are raiding people's homes looking for drink and arresting people who dare consume it. The law doesn't ban drinking. You can still drink, you just can't buy it for 24hrs.

I'm not saying it's a necessary law, but some people act as if it's a sudden permanent prohibition, rather than a one-day closure that you know about well in advance. It's probably the biggest day of the year for house parties. To me, it's like the fact that shops don't open at all on Sundays in France so that people don't have to work. It'd be nice if Good Friday could be a bit like that or like Christmas - where the vast majority of people get the day off and people can spend time with friends/family.

And I'm not religious at all, btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

but some aren't having quiet drinks at home, they are having house parties. now the majority of house parties will pass fine. but thats not the point

no it wouldn't. how would it. do you think this bann which achieves nothing is stopping alcohol abuse? if you do, your very very delusianel

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Because that's not what happens, instead of buying 8 cans on Friday, they buy a slab on Thursday and end up even more paralytic than a normal Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

You don't know how an alcoholic thinks and operates with that comment then.

Fine, we will do a Saudi Arabia, no drink for anyone!

IMHO they should ban alcohol every Friday.
    and what will that achieve? stop alcohol abuse? wrong.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

oh sweet jesus. you can't be serious. do you think alcoholism works like that? really? if you have an addiction, which alcoholism is, then the good friday bann won't make a difference to you.

I genuinely don't understand why people get so worked up about it.
    I don't think people are as angry as just perplexed. It's the erosion of choice.
    What about tourists that want to have a drink with their meal but find that this bizarre law is still in place?
    What about the bars and restaurants that are losing money?

Fine, we will do a Saudi Arabia, no drink for anyone!
    tried, failed, unworkable. and if you think you can't get drink in saudi, your deluded. you will have to look hard though, but it can be found

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

God says No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Surely a normal business day would be a day where you can go to town and expect to conduct all or any business you wish? Than back, tax office, your accountant, have a pint?

I would very much fear that those of us who get the day off may find it being questioned if pubs were to be allowed to open which is also a very good reason for keeping the law.
    If it's 'not a normal business day' so it's ok, in your opinion, for the pubs to close why are the pubs not closed every other bank holiday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The GF closure of pubs and offies is an IRISH thing, not a Christian rule.

That is what is laughable really.

We must be the ONLY country in the world (apart from the strict Muslim places) that ban alcohol purchases on Good Friday. Ho hum....

Personally, I stock up and have friends around for Brinner (brunch/dinner combo). Always a great day TBH.

But, when you think of the gazillions spent by Failte Ireland trying to get people to holiday here over the Easter Break.... it boggles the mind that they cannot visit a place on GF that is marketed so much in their minds.... yes... the Oirish Pub! And that is usually the first day of the break here. It must break their hearts, and of course those of the publicans too!

Reality has to set in here. I think it will be abolished before the 1916 thinggy next year.

Good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Shut up and eat your fish!

I wonder what Madcon thinks, he's always full of opinions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Cunnilingus day with a side of chips. It's a very Good Friday.

tried, failed, unworkable. and if you think you can't get drink in saudi, your deluded. you will have to look hard though, but it can be found

The punishments are a little more effective than the Irish ones

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Eutow wrote: »
    I wonder what Madcon thinks, he's always full of opinions.

Just wait, he needs clearance from the arseholes at 23 Merrion Square.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

eviltwin wrote: »
    How would they when they book the event years in advance and aren't of the Catholic faith :confused:

Any wedding venue worth their salt should know and should point it out. I asked our local banqueting manageress and she said they do point it out but also that it would have no impact as they would provide the same service on GF as on any other day of the year apart from Christmas when they close the entire hotel.

• Advertisement

eternal wrote: »

If only. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Let them mind their own business and stop sticking their nose where its not wanted.
    I never discuss religion, in fact the only people I ever hear harping on about it are the poor old atheists complaining and annoying everyone with their opinion
    I always point it out to people at work on ash wednesday when they eat meat, I do it in a joking way but I do mean it.

You are a riddle wrapped up in an enigma... bundled up in a contradiction.

Aer "lingus" would be MUUUUUCH better really

You can get out of this place, and still enjoy it with a beer.

Aer "lingus" would be MUUUUUCH better really

You can get out of this place, and still enjoy it with a beer.

Can you drink on flights on Good Friday?

Presumably not in Irish airspace. Once your outside that you can.

• Advertisement

Presumably not in Irish airspace. Once your outside that you can.

Take all of 15 minutes so to leave the Emerald Isle and knock back the tepid 6 euro mini beers.

Take all of 15 minutes so to leave the Emerald Isle and knock back the tepid 6 euro mini beers.

Haha, would you even bother?

You can drink in the airport if you show your boarding pass. Worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

How have you managed to make these 2 points in the same post? Which groups that try to stop alcohol abuse think that a 1 day sales ban has any effect on alcohol abuse? That'd be an insanely stupid thing to think given that as you say, "if you want to drink you can!"

Well I'd say they'd bite your hand off to sell you whatever they have on the trolley. Be that alcohol, perfume, clocks, watches, and whatnot. Any time day or night! Same goes for any other airline.

If you can get on a train with a valid ticket and drink your way around the country on GF, I don't see the DRINK police getting their summoms papers out on a flight!

Well I'd say they'd bite your hand off to sell you whatever they have on the trolley. Be that alcohol, perfume, clocks, watches, and whatnot. Any time day or night! Same goes for any other airline.

If you can get on a train with a valid ticket and drink your way around the country on GF, I don't see the DRINK police getting their summoms papers out on a flight!

I remember being able to drink in Limerick Train Station alright on a Good Friday. The place was hopping.

You are a riddle wrapped up in an enigma... bundled up in a contradiction.

And thickly coated in hypocrisy.

The GF closure of pubs and offies is an IRISH thing, not a Christian rule.

That is what is laughable really.

We must be the ONLY country in the world (apart from the strict Muslim places) that ban alcohol purchases on Good Friday. Ho hum....

Personally, I stock up and have friends around for Brinner (brunch/dinner combo). Always a great day TBH.

But, when you think of the gazillions spent by Failte Ireland trying to get people to holiday here over the Easter Break.... it boggles the mind that they cannot visit a place on GF that is marketed so much in their minds.... yes... the Oirish Pub! And that is usually the first day of the break here. It must break their hearts, and of course those of the publicans too!

Reality has to set in here. I think it will be abolished before the 1916 thinggy next year.

Good!

So what? I've arrived over in Europe on a Saturday night and literally had to starve until late Sunday afternoon when a restaurant would open, couldn't even get a loaf of bread.

Shops not opening every Sunday is totally crazy and a thousand times more of pain in the arse than one friday in the whole year where pubs are closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'm working on Good Friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

So what? I've arrived over in Europe on a Saturday night and literally had to starve until late Sunday afternoon when a restaurant would open, couldn't even get a loaf of bread.

You should have headed over to Cana, where they were flush with loves, and fishes as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Yes. There are lots of exemptions to the ban which makes the whole thing even more silly and redundant.

Shops not opening every Sunday is totally crazy and a thousand times more of pain in the arse than one friday in the whole year where pubs are closed.

But they had the choice to open if they wanted, that's the point.

What about bar or restaurant owners that decide to open in Ireland on good friday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Or in other words: "ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME".

It fits the bill for a Christian that likes to shove their beliefs on others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

It doesn't bother me that the pub is closed, I'm rarely in a pub anyway. I usually get some cans on the Thursday and head to friends house to play cards on the Friday.
    If you're that hard up and dependent on alcohol, just stock up during the week.
    It's only 2 days in the year. Think of the bar staff, I'm sure they're glad of a day off.
    It reminds me of the idiots I see on Christmas day getting petrol and diesel. Poor bastard in the petrol station listening to fools through the window looking for batteries and stuffing.
    A little bit of thinking ahead, that's all that's needed.

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    It doesn't bother me that the pub is closed, I'm rarely in a pub anyway. I usually get some cans on the Thursday and head to friends house to play cards on the Friday.
    It's only 2 days in the year. Think of the bar staff, I'm sure they're glad of a day off.
    It reminds me of the idiots I see on Christmas day getting petrol and diesel. Poor bastard in the petrol station listening to fools through the window looking for batteries and stuffing.

Congratulations I think you are the first one to bring this up on this years thread. Don't worry though, you ain't unique, this sad excuse has usually got trotted out by now. The poor bar staff they never get any days off except good friday and christmas day. Blah, blah, blah.

You can't compare that with the petrol and batteries thing.

Looks like you haven't been following the thread.
    The predictable "It's only 2 days in the year" argument has been refuted many times here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

You're presumably aware that people in the service industry have days off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Isn't it great to know ireland still takes its dictats from an orginisation that rapes kids?

I'm awaiting Enda Kenny's next speech on Ireland being a modern country, open for business. :rolleyes:

What a tosser.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    You're presumably aware that people in the service industry have days off?

Do they? God I never knew that. Sure when I was a chap I used to think that my teacher lived in the school.

• Advertisement

Christmas Day has to be next for lifting the ban. Because GF ban will be gone by the time all the great and good descend for the 1916 centenary next year.

I thought we were a progressive, European, open, multicultural society that is tolerant of everything.

Must be wrong on that one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement