Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Friday

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

As a non-Irish native, the pub thing is absolute madness to me. Ironically, I almost never drink, but I went out of my way to make sure I'll be drunk (at a bar) on Good Friday.

Sorry religious people, your laws will not make me consider the day special or solemn. I'd respect your opinion that the day is special and solemn a hell of a lot more if you weren't also forcing me to adopt your religious views.

Arguments such as 'But it is only one day' are pretty weak. What if I only beat my wife one day a year? Only stole one day a year? Something is either right or not, and our laws should be adjusted. If pubs are dangerous and bad, it should be illegal to open them all year. If not, it shouldn't on any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Think of the bar staff, I'm sure they're glad of a day off.

I wondered how long it would take before i saw the "the barstaff will be glad of the day off" arguement. It was much later than I expected.

Any bar staff that works every day except for Good Friday and Christmas Day need to have a chat with themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

lertsnim wrote: »
    I wondered how long it would take before i saw the "the barstaff will be glad of the day off" arguement. It was much later than I expected.

Any bar staff that works every day except for Good Friday and Christmas Day need to have a chat with themselves.

A lot of bar staff depend on the money they make, especially on Friday nights. I'm not so sure they'll be happy with the forced day off.

UCDVet wrote: »
    A lot of bar staff depend on the money they make, especially on Friday nights. I'm not so sure they'll be happy with the forced day off.

If it was up to me they'd be allowed to work on Friday but unfortunately the religious crazies are still being pandered to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

That's the thing, it's not like your average bar does much of a trade Sunday night to Thursday night. Fridays and Saturdays I assume are what keeps them afloat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Carnacalla wrote: »
    The punishments are a little more effective than the Irish ones
    they are not one bit effective.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

That's the thing, it's not like your average bar does much of a trade Sunday night to Thursday night. Fridays and Saturdays I assume are what keeps them afloat.

Especially on long weekends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

they are not one bit effective.

How so?
    Guarantee half of Limerick would be beheaded by now, that's effective!

If you're that hard up and dependent on alcohol, just stock up during the week.

how does calling for this bann which achieves nothing to be abolished mean you are alcohol dependant? i survive 5/6 days of the week without alcohol, and then at that i drink very little. most will also survive the majority of the week without drink. those that are alcohol dependant have an addiction. this bann won't make any difference to them. so your argument is non existant and never was.
    It's only 2 days in the year. Think of the bar staff, I'm sure they're glad of a day off.

2 days where a particular industry is banned from trading for no reason causing them to lose revenue. this bann will make no difference to many bar staff. a number of them will probably be in helping the bar owner do other work. again, another non argument.
    It reminds me of the idiots I see on Christmas day getting petrol and diesel. Poor bastard in the petrol station listening to fools through the window looking for batteries and stuffing.

maybe that person needs petrol because they got word that a relative has passed away or got very ill suddenly.
    A little bit of thinking ahead, that's all that's needed.

or, lift the bann as it achieves nothing and let everyone make their own choices.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

How so?
    Guarantee half of Limerick would be beheaded by now, that's effective!
    yeah. right so. you continue being deluded if you want. they are not effective. thats it. you will get alcohol in saudi if you want it. you will just have to know where to look

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

If you're that hard up and dependent on alcohol, just stock up during the week.
    It's only 2 days in the year.
    Or... If you don't want to drink alcohol on Good Friday then choose not to drink alcohol on Good Friday. If you need a government enforced ban to help you achieve this then you might have a problem and a more long-term personal solution should be sought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

I opened this thread thinking it would be an original thread about the events of Good Friday back in the day but it turns out I unwittingly stumbled into ""the"" thread, the one that comes up every year and has the same regurgitated sh1te in it as the year before, the one where you can gently poke the mob of angry atheists with a long blunt wooden stick and laugh yourself silly at the reaction you get

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Ah lads, it's very easy to wind you all up.
    'end of the road', some spelling mistakes there lad.

the one where you can gently poke the mob of angry atheists with a long blunt wooden stick and laugh yourself silly at the reaction you get

Bit of a ridiculous generalization there don't you think. A lot of people against this nanny state law are neither angry nor atheists.
    Many people are just bewildered how this embarrassing law can still exist in 2015 in a supposed modern country.
    Don't worry, it will be abolished soon and we can look back and laugh at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

I opened this thread thinking it would be an original thread about the events of Good Friday back in the day but it turns out I unwittingly stumbled into ""the"" thread, the one that comes up every year and has the same regurgitated sh1te in it as the year before, the one where you can gently poke the mob of angry atheists with a long blunt wooden stick and laugh yourself silly at the reaction you get

The religious neither make me angry nor do I laugh at them.

Pity would be the closest emotion.

Ah lads, it's very easy to wind you all up

So it was all an elaborate April fools joke afterall

Jamsiek wrote: »
    Bit of a ridiculous generalization there don't you think. A lot of people against this nanny state law are neither angry nor atheists.
    Many people are just bewildered how this embarrassing law can still exist in 2015 in a supposed modern country.

Just bewildered how strongly people feel that their human rights are being trampled because they're not allowed to purchase some ethanol-containing substance one day a year, they are not even trying to stop you of drinking it.
    Maybe the energy spent complaining about this would be better spent trying to get weed legalised for 1 day a year, just to see how it goes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I am not in the slightest bit bewildered. For someone who complains about generalisation you are a bit loose with your interpretation of how other people think. You wouldn't be laughing in Germany.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/no-laughing-or-dancing-in-germany-and-other-good-friday-traditions-around-the-world-30195062.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    If your little baba brain can onoy manage one thing to think about at once, then pick unemployment or emigration and have a good think about them. I'm an adult so I can post about religious laws in a modern European country and then post about unemployment or emigration when a thread comes up about them. It's a useful skill.

I am not defending the Church. I'm just saying have pubs closed for one day would not be a bad thing.

Also I don't appreciate ad hominem comments like "little baba brain" It's a bit superfluous now, seeing that we're both adults.

Just bewildered how strongly people feel that their human rights are being trampled because they're not allowed to purchase some ethanol-containing substance one day a year, they are not even trying to stop you of drinking it.
    Looks like you haven't been following the thread. The "one day a year" comment has been trotted out again and has been refuted.
    Maybe the energy spent complaining about this would be better spent trying to get weed legalised for 1 day a year, just to see how it goes?
    We agree on something :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I am not in the slightest bit bewildered. For someone who complains about generalisation you are a bit loose with your interpretation of how other people think. You wouldn't be laughing in Germany.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/no-laughing-or-dancing-in-germany-and-other-good-friday-traditions-around-the-world-30195062.html

Ah, well, we'll just stop trying to get rid of ridiculous, pointless customs if other countries have ridiculous customs too.

Actually, wait! That's even more of a reason to get rid of our own ridiculous customs!

I am not in the slightest bit bewildered. For someone who complains about generalisation you are a bit loose with your interpretation of how other people think.

I said "many people" are bewildered at how this law can exist, NOT all the people.
    You either didn't read the post or are deliberately misrepresenting me. Nice try though.

So just because other countries have silly laws, it's ok for Ireland to have them?

i don't remember anyone saying their human rights were trampled

kylith wrote: »
    Ah, well, we'll just stop trying to get rid of ridiculous, pointless customs if other countries have ridiculous customs too.

Actually, wait! That's even more of a reason to get rid of our own ridiculous customs!

It's not a custom. It's the law of the land and has been since the 1920's and can only be changed by our legislators.

I will generalise by saying that it is probably a matter of supreme indifference to most people. I expect that it will not feature much in next years' election campaign.

So just because other countries have silly laws, it's ok for Ireland to have them?

No but it dishearents the argument of -"other countries don't have these stupid laws".

This has really turned into the silly thread. Making most pubs not open on 2 days of the year will not hurt anyone. The alcohol industry? I have no sympathy.

I am not defending the Church. I'm just saying have pubs closed for one day would not be a bad thing.

but you have no reason as to why that is . or at least no valid one, or one that can't be debunked

Making most pubs not open on 2 days of the year will not hurt anyone. The alcohol industry? I have no sympathy.

What about the 30 million euro lost by the tourism industry?

I said "many people" are bewildered at how this law can exist, NOT all the people.
    You either didn't read the post or are deliberately misrepresenting me. Nice try though.

There is no reason for anyone to be bewildered. It is a very simple concept that the law can restrict or prohibit the sale of alcohol on specified days and at specified times. Despite your generalisations about public opinion there is no widespread movement to get the law changed, except in the licenced trade.

No but it dishearents the argument of -"other countries don't have these stupid laws".

This has really turned into the silly thread. Making most pubs not open on 2 days of the year will not hurt anyone. The alcohol industry? I have no sympathy.

really? you have no sympathy for an industry which creates employment and brings in revenue losing money and trade because they can't trade for no reason? doesn't matter whether it will hurt or not hurt anyone. you have no valid reason for this bann

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

But it clearly doesn't hurt the alcohol industry as many people stock up on Thursday and head out Saturday or Sunday instead of Friday if Friday is their usual night out.

It's a regular fact that people who oppose allowing drink to be sold on Good Friday forget, many people drink on the Friday anyway.

The only ones who suffer are casual drinkers and tourists.

Looks like you haven't been following the thread. The "one day a year" comment has been trotted out again and has been refuted.

We agree on something :D

No need to follow. Tis the same sh1te as last year, now maybe if it was 180 days a year and they weren't nicely spread out I would start feeling the urge to stand up for 'drinker's rights' if there is such a thing, but then again maybe not. Maybe they should indeed ban it altogether. We'd have mighty craic brewing illegal stuff up the mountain, crossing the Irish sea in a narco-sub full of booze, more craic anyway than walking into a noisy pub to pay 7e for a pint from a dirty glass.

Despite your generalisations about public opinion there is no widespread movement to get the law changed, except in the licenced trade.
    No generalization, I didn't say there was a widespread movement to get the law changed.
    However it is growing in momentum and will hopefully be repealed before the 1916 commemorations next year.
    Also it's not just the licensed trade that are effected by the ban, the tourism industry also takes a hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

but you have no reason as to why that is . or at least no valid one, or one that can't be debunked

I just don't think it's a bad idea. The Idea of a pub being closed isn't apocalyptic to me.

I just don't think it's a bad idea. The Idea of a pub being closed isn't apocalyptic to me.

Isn't it about choice for the consumer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

How dare you attack atheists. You sir will burn in h.... oh sh1t... eh... somewhere.

• Advertisement

But it clearly doesn't hurt the alcohol industry as many people stock up on Thursday and head out Saturday or Sunday instead of Friday if Friday is their usual night out.

It's a regular fact that people who oppose allowing drink to be sold on Good Friday forget, many people drink on the Friday anyway.

The only ones who suffer are casual drinkers and tourists.

I'd say more damage is done by excessive drinking on Good Friday than any other Friday. Tomorrow will be carnage at the off licence and for what? So a group of people can say a prayer to Jesus on Friday.

really? you have no sympathy for an industry which creates employment and brings in revenue losing money and trade because they can't trade for no reason? doesn't matter whether it will hurt or not hurt anyone. you have no valid reason for this bann

Yes it does matter if it will hurt people. Alcohol is advertised in a secretive way to get every more users. It causes weight issues, social problems and monetary problems and I find it personally disgusting that people are getting angry at a 1 day conservative ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It's not the end of the world but it's an unnecessary inconvenience to punters and publicans alike and in a country that's meant to be secular and all inclusive, having laws that are religion based is embarrassing.

Yes it does matter if it will hurt people. Alcohol is advertised in a secretive way to get every more users. It causes weight issues, social problems and monetary problems and I find it personally disgusting that people are getting angry at a 1 day conservative ban.

Those that favour an end to this ban aren't advocating more drinking. They just support choice.

Again, the point you're missing is that more drink is drunk on Good Friday because the pubs are closed and the subsequent national rush to stock up on drink.

If the pubs were open on Good Friday, they would be as busy as every other Friday.

The wider issue of alcohol consumption is another story.

Pubs being closed on good Friday shows the message that alcohol is a bad thing. That's one of the few things that I actually agree with the church about.

• Advertisement

Pubs being closed on good Friday shows the message that alcohol is a bad thing. That's one of the few things that I actually agree with the church about.

You are just missing all the points raised. More drink is drunk on Good Friday because the pubs are closed.

But Jesus turned water into wine, I am so confused...:(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

UCDVet wrote: »
    Sorry religious people, your laws will not make me consider the day special or solemn. I'd respect your opinion that the day is special and solemn a hell of a lot more if you weren't also forcing me to adopt your religious views.

I love the way that you're trying to have a go at "religious people" to begin with: I'm religious I suppose: I'll be going to church on Good Friday, and then that evening I'll be tucking into a large gourmet fish and chips washed down with plenty of wine. I presume that makes me totally brainwashed and intolerant though because I'll be doing that in the comfort of my own home rather than being out protesting about the closed pubs?

Ironic really that the church uses alcohol as the blood of christ

You are just missing all the points raised. More drink is drunk on Good Friday because the pubs are closed.

By a minority of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It's nothing to do with alcohol being bad. It's symbolic. It's about making a sacrifice. Years ago it would have had some relevance but not any longer. Might as well stop the internet for the day or ban the tele.

the bann achieves nothing. it doesn't stop alcohol abuse. it doesn't stop anything. there is no reason for it. it has little support really. all the issues you mention would be there regardless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

lertsnim wrote: »
    Ironic really that the church uses alcohol as the blood of christ

I don't think TK Red Lemonade would cut it.

By a minority of people.

How do you know this?
    A tradition of day long house parties has developed because of this ban where binge drinking is common.
    Compare that with a normal night in a bar under supervised conditions

Red Alert wrote: »
    I love the way that you're trying to have a go at "religious people" to begin with: I'm religious I suppose: I'll be going to church on Good Friday, and then that evening I'll be tucking into a large gourmet fish and chips washed down with plenty of wine. I presume that makes me totally brainwashed and intolerant though because I'll be doing that in the comfort of my own home rather than being out protesting about the closed pubs?
    You're own conflicted religious views are no concern of mine.

To all those wailing about atheists wailing why not let the pubs open and if you chose to observe the day by not drinking then don't. Everyone is happy.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement