Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Friday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Annoying you and your ilk is definitely a good reason for keeping the ban to add to the fact it's a day of abstinence where alcohol shouldn't be sold or drank.

i'm not catholic. i will abstain if i like, and it will be because i don't want to drink. nothing to do with a day of abstenence
    The thing is Id have much more time for a regular drinker (like myself) who was complaining about it but I'd say I drink more in the week than some complaining about this ban do in a year which makes their complaints comical.

not at all. they have a genuine complaint. freedom of choice to trade, make money, and use a service is being stopped for no good reason. costing the country revenue. those who seem to think those opposing the bann are all raging alcoholics are the ones who are comical actually. not those who drink little but who can see this bann achieves nothing and is pointless.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

efb wrote: »
    They didn't have potatoes during the famine that was the point

Smartass :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Zamboni wrote: »
    Correct. So there is no reason the maintain the law and we can all get back to our lives when Fitzgerald amends or disposes of it :)

She might be making some noises to placate the publicans. But don't expect anything to happen in a hurry. The possible new legislation regulating labelling and pricing etc of alchohol with a view to improving the nation's health, seems to be taking priority over any move to change the 1927 Act.

Despite this in the papers there is no mention in the draft legislation of Good Friday trading.

A spokesman for Ms Fitzgerald said the issue of Good Friday trading was being considered in the context of the upcoming Sale of Alcohol Bill but that the drafting was unlikely to be completed until later in the year.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/fitzgerald-urged-to-lift-ban-on-good-friday-alcohol-sales-1.2082973

http://health.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/General-Scheme-of-the-Public-Health-Alcohol-Bill-2015.pdf

i'm not catholic. i will abstain if i like, and it will be because i don't want to drink. nothing to do with a day of abstenence

not at all. they have a genuine complaint. freedom of choice to trade, make money, and use a service is being stopped for no good reason. costing the country revenue. those who seem to think those opposing the bann are all raging alcoholics are the ones who are comical actually. not those who drink little but who can see this bann achieves nothing and is pointless.

What's a "bann"?

What's a "bann"?

It's the one who looks after the house in the Gaeltacht.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I think all Pubs and Off Licences should be closed at least one day in every 3 months. The ingenuity and innovativeness of the Irish people excels when they have to get alcohol (that they wouldn't normally drink on a Friday) to drink on Good Friday.

Imagine the limits we could push and the stars we could reach for if this think tank was harnessed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Plazaman wrote: »
    I think all Pubs and Off Licences should be closed at least one day in every 3 months. The ingenuity and innovativeness of the Irish people excels when they have to get alcohol (that they wouldn't normally drink on a Friday) to drink on Good Friday.

Imagine the limits we could push and the stars we could reach for if this think tank was harnessed.

You overestimate the intelligence of your fellow citizens. They are unable to grasp the concept of buying the alcohol on a Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

You overestimate the intelligence of your fellow citizens. They are unable to grasp the concept of buying the alcohol on a Thursday.
    The issue you seem to be missing is that buying on Thursday is counter-productive in many cases where binge drinking in houses takes place on the Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dancingchicken

I always make sure to eat meat on Good Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Erra making sure to eat meat and drink alcohol on good Friday is like teen rebellion - not interested in that at all or having a go at religious people; just choice for those who aren't religious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

You crazy bastard!!!!!

h2005 wrote: »
    You crazy bastard!!!!!

I will have rare steak and fornicate whilst swallowing gulps of ethanol. Now that the potatoes aren't available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

What kind of meat do chickens eat anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Jamsiek wrote: »
    What kind of meat do chickens eat anyway?

worms, maggots, insects?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Steve_Carella

I'm flying to London on Good Friday morning. The airport bars will be open when I get through security at 6am, I'll be able to buy alcohol on the flight and I'll be able to buy alcohol all day in London if I so wish.

Except the only thing is, though, I don't drink. Isn't the irony just gas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Should we buy a hat :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Erra making sure to eat meat and drink alcohol on good Friday is like teen rebellion - not interested in that at all or having a go at religious people; just choice for those who aren't religious.

It's only a rebellion if you are actually part of the system you are rebelling against.

Me, I will be eating meat as I do every day of the year and I will be having my few bottles of beer at home after work on Friday as I do every Friday at the end of a working week. Some of the few joys in life still left.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Pat_custard

Anybody know if you're staying in a hotel on good Friday are you allowed to be served alcohol?

I heard you are, but I'm very skeptical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Anybody know if you're staying in a hotel on good Friday are you allowed to be served alcohol?

I heard you are, but I'm very skeptical

Yes you are, same if you hold an a valid Intercity ticket on Irish Rail. The whole Good Friday thing is a makey uppy rule day anyway, some people have the day off some are in work etc... You can get a drink in the Vatican tomorrow if you want.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Yes it does matter if it will hurt people. Alcohol is advertised in a secretive way to get every more users. It causes weight issues, social problems and monetary problems and I find it personally disgusting that people are getting angry at a 1 day conservative ban.

Anyone who is trying to sell a product is encouraging someone else to purchase that product. There is nothing secretive about that. It's no great shock really.
    Pubs being closed on good Friday shows the message that alcohol is a bad thing. That's one of the few things that I actually agree with the church about.

Alcohol in itself is not a bad thing. What some people do with it and the state of mind they are in when they do so can be. But it's not alcohol that does it. The same with all substance abuse. You need to respect and help the person in duress. Not cut off their leg because they twisted their ankle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Yes you are, same if you hold an a valid Intercity ticket on Irish Rail. The whole Good Friday thing is a makey uppy rule day anyway, some people have the day off some are in work etc... You can get a drink in the Vatican tomorrow if you want.

Traintickets? Hotels? What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Annoying you and your ilk is definitely a good reason for keeping the ban to add to the fact it's a day of abstinence where alcohol shouldn't be sold or drank.
    Wow. How incredibly, incredibly childish of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

kylith wrote: »
    Wow. How incredibly, incredibly childish of you.

What is it with that sort of cattiness/nastiness/obnoxiousness amongst social c*ntservatives conservatives?

What is it with that sort of cattiness/nastiness/obnoxiousness amongst social c*ntservatives conservatives?

I think it's because he has no actual argument. The 'stopping people drinking is no bad thing' bit has been debunked. The 'it's my religion' has been debunked. The 'sure the publicans need a day off' bit has been debunked. The 'sure it's only two days a year' bit has been shown to be irrelevant. Devoid of an actual argument childish pettiness is the only recourse.

• Moderators Posts: 51,860 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Would be nice if Good Friday fell on a fixed date so anyone who doesn't keep a Christian calendar handy could know which Friday the pubs would be shut.

• April 22, 2011
    • April 6, 2012
    • March 29, 2013
    • April 18, 2014
    • April 5, 2015
    At least with Christmas, you know it's Dec 25. Good Friday can shift by 4-5 weeks on any given year >.<

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The Pub, one of those places that AH posters won't visit because they are too expensive, but who seem to get mortally offended when they close for two days a year. Those places.

I think it's a psychological thing. No human likes their freedom to do something restricted. If it is restricted it should be for something real. There's actually more evidence for bigfoot than the resurrection so maybe we should close all pubs because of him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Well enjoy it will it lasts because it's a law that doesn't have a bright future, happily. And when the law no longer exist YOU MIGHT FIND YOU CAN ABSTAIN WITHOUT IT! Shocking, I know.

Another crazy thing about good friday is the fact you cant eat meat on that day and you have to have fish.

I have a couple of captured wild rabbit in a box in the garden who likely wish this was true. Alas for them it is not and they saw their last dawn this morning.

SW wrote: »
    Would be nice if Good Friday fell on a fixed date so anyone who doesn't keep a Christian calendar handy could know which Friday the pubs would be shut.

• April 22, 2011
    • April 6, 2012
    • March 29, 2013
    • April 18, 2014
    • April 5, 2015
    At least with Christmas, you know it's Dec 25. Good Friday can shift by 4-5 weeks on any given year >.<

it's because Easter is dependent on the equinox, which varies year to year.

I have a couple of captured wild rabbit in a box in the garden who likely wish this was true. Alas for them it is not and they saw their last dawn this morning.

Ah, not little Fluffy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,860 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

The thing is Id have much more time for a regular drinker (like myself) who was complaining about it but I'd say I drink more in the week than some complaining about this ban do in a year which makes their complaints comical.
    Pretty sure the Vatican considers every Friday as a day of abstinence, so why impose a ban on Good Friday when it's okay every other Friday of the year?

If you can read this, you're too close!

kylith wrote: »
    it's because Easter is dependent on the equinox, which varies year to year.

Yeah, a bit of a bizarre one. Did they decide his crucifixion date on this basis? Christmas is celebrated on different dates in various parts of the world. I suppose it makes Santa's job a bit easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

SW wrote: »

• April 22, 2011
    • April 6, 2012
    • March 29, 2013
    • April 18, 2014
    • April 5, 2015

Pattys day should be fixed to a monday also, this floating day off is bull....

vicwatson wrote: »
    Pattys day should be fixed to a monday also, this floating day off is bull....

Don't start with the 'Patty's' day stuff. This place will explode.

Heads for shelter.

galljga1 wrote: »
    Ah, not little Fluffy.
    Fluffy shouldn't have been so delicious then, should he?
    galljga1 wrote: »
    Yeah, a bit of a bizarre one. Did they decide his crucifixion date on this basis? Christmas is celebrated on different dates in various parts of the world. I suppose it makes Santa's job a bit easier.
    Do they even know when the crucifixion allegedly took place? Wasn't it just after Passover? I think the Judaic calander is lunar, so that could explain it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Nearly all those holidays are just a copy of another religions holiday so would probbaly have to look there for explanation of dates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

awec wrote: »
    It's a day of abstinence for certain practicing catholics and nobody else. Surely you understand that most basic fact?

I'm not a practising catholic and I will abstain? So will lots of people I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

I'm not a practising catholic and I will abstain? So will lots of people I know.

I don't believe you.

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    I don't believe you.

Then again you think alcoholics don't drink 3 days a year because the pubs are closed so it's possible your nonsensical approach might extend to actions as well as thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Wonder will the fear of alcohol not being sold for one day drive people through the dunnes picket hahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    Then again you think alcoholics don't drink 3 days a year because the pubs are closed so it's possible your nonsensical approach might extend to actions as well as thoughts.

My god, care to even read my post?

80% of people I know won't eat meat or drink alcohol. 10% of them actively attend Church.
    Guarantee look under your layer of Ignorance and you'll see a few people who will be doing the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

80% of people I know won't eat meat or drink alcohol. 10% of them actively attend Church.
    Guarantee look under your layer of Ignorance and you'll see a few people who will be doing the same.

We read it, you still haven't backed up your claim that not selling alcohol tomorrow means people with a drink problem still won't get it/will somehow change their ways if they don't.

I read yours. You're not Catholic but are going to follow Catholic rules and abstain from meat and alcohol because, eh, just because. Culture and stuffs. That's nonsense. Like nearly everything you've said on this thread. Here's a highlight of ridiculous things you've said:

1: You can drink anyway.
    2: It prevents alcoholics from drinking on that day
    3: It'd be a dark day for alcohol harm prevention groups if the ban was lifted despite # 1.
    4: I'm not Catholic but I abstain anyway cos culture.
    5: 80% of people I know will abstain.

#5 is ridiculous because you have no idea if that's the case. If you're a normal person you'll know far too many people to have any idea what they have for dinner on good Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Ah Good Friday. The day that people who normally act the heathenist b*llox abstain from flesh and alcohol and prance around on their high horses telling the rest of us how bad we are. Seconded only by Ash Wednesday when same self righteous f*ckers stick shít on their faces and look at you waiting for a reaction. Half a pig in the fridge. Waiting to make love to some batch loaf and real butter later - and a slab of Guinness cooling in the shed - Great Friday, you might say :)

If you're not a practising Catholic you're not abstaining, you're just not drinking. Abstaining implies that you are purposefully not drinking for a reason. If the reason that you are not drinking on Friday is because of Catholic culture then you are not non-practising.

Not drinking because of Catholic culture - practising Catholic ritual i.e. abstinance
    Not drinking because you don't feel like it - just not drinking

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 369 ✭✭walkingshadow

Legally the pubs could give us free beer.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'll do what I do every Friday without the possibility of going to the pub. I'l leat meat and be glad of the day off work for a change of Friday. I don't see the need to drink just because pubs are closed, although around 20 years ago I did that a couple of times because as a student it was nearly mandatory ;), but I'm too old now to be considering something like that.

I don't really care that the pubs are closed, but I think the fact that they are closed because of some outdated religious crap is a terrible thing.

Legally the pubs could give us free beer.

Now you're talking. I would convert, revert, whatever... well for a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

You bastard! Shall they not get to see Easter Sunday, the day of the resurrection, the day when their leader the Easter bunny gives joy to children across the country? Have you not seen Bambi, the adorable Thumper. Have you no heart :(

http://www.pickthatflick.com/images/games/disney-quotes/thumper-in-bambi.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement