Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aran Islands advice accessibility

• 28-03-2015 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭

Hi, thinking of spending a day on one or more of the Aran islands Easter week. I have been to Inis Oirr but not the other islands.

We will be travelling with another family this time, and the lady in that family is not very mobile (she has MS, not in a wheelchair but not able to walk far), so I'm thinking of a pony and trap visit. There will be 7 of us in all (kids and adults) and we'll be taking 2 little dogs on the island.

I can look after the 2 dogs and stay behind if needed, but does anyone know if the dogs might be ok/accepted in the pony and trap ? (mini jack russell and shih tzu cross, so lap dogs really) I'd love to be on that tour too :o

I love Inis Oirr and never felt the need to visit the other islands, although Dun Aengus is a bit of a draw alright. What do you recommend ?

We have only one day and I don't want it to be a marathon, so I think choosing one island is a wiser choice, but would love to hear someone who knows' opinion.

The family with us, and the lady, have never been there, and are not really history buffs, but I know they'll be impressed with the scenery even just on Inis Oirr.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ring the pony trap company and ask.

I recommend Inishmore, it has everything you may need in transportation and things to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Hope it's OK to update thread mod, in case someone happens upon it with similar queries.

We went to Inis Oirr.
    Ferry with 2 dogs was no problem, we cruised along cliffs of Moher during return trip.

Pony trap with everyone mentioned above including dogs was no problem either, and a very enjoyable and speedy way to discover the island (we had around 2hours there). They wait by the pier so only 10 metre s or so to walk.

For the lady with MS, I feel I have to mention that getting on board and off the boats was a little bit difficult since access is via this little ladder/walkway metal thing, and it can be very steeply angled, and you then have to climb down steep boat steps to the lower deck (and back up on arrival).
    The boat operators were very helpful though, and with husband support she managed them.

I thought this was just worth mentioning in case someone with less mobility is considering the trip.

She was tired but delighted with herself and the experience.

Advertisement