Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are these plants?

Options
  • 28-03-2015 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

As mentioned previously, I've moved into a new house with gardens, and I've no experience of gardening in Ireland....

In the front garden, there is an abundance of these plants that have come up since Christmas. A few people have told me different things as to what they are (crocus, snowdrops), but I'm doubting what I've been told.

Any ideas?
    they've been this large for a few weeks, but there are no signs of any flowers. They are all around the other plants (rose, hydrangea, lavender, and others)... will they bother them?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Look like very well cared for bluebells to me?

If you dig one up clean it up and photograph the whole plant roots (tuber?) and all might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

Could be muscari
    Check for a small round shoot in centre of stems

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭tmq

Well here is a couple of smaller ones I dug up... they are very deep, I was having trouble getting underneath the bigger ones with a trowel.

The leaves are quite waxy.

I think its just a case of waiting and in the next month or so you'll know for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

I suspect they are Spanish Bluebells - Scilla hispanica - given how vigorous they are. They shouldn't affect anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,462 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am working away trying to dig Spanish Bluebells out of my garden. They are triffids! Pretty for a couple of weeks but ages of rampant growth and not a lot to show for it. Heck of a job digging the bulbs out though, in thugishness terms they are close relatives of montbretia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

A weed= a plant in the wrong place.
    In my book, these are weeds.
    Not at all suitable for med-small gardens, a woodland plant out of its natural habitat.
    Get rid,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Same advice if they're Muscari, rampant weeds, you need to get rid of every tiny bulb.

I'm leaning towards bluebells from what i've found online. Doesn't sound like they're a great asset in the garden! Should I wait until they flower then pull them out? My main concern is that they bother the other plants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

I'd be inclined to say bluebells too --( just in case - the foliage hasn't got a strong oniony/garlic smell by any chance?) You can spray, dig up etc as you choose but it may take a while to kill them all. Don't let them flower/seed or you're just storing up trouble for next year. Do it asap - and be prepared to repeat. If any do begin to flower just pull the flower heads before they open.

If you are digging out bluebells an almost perfect tool for the job is a modified "Bowles Fork". A fork with a broken handle reattached so the whole tool is no more than about 3ft long (length so its suitable to use kneeling down) and with all but the center two tines removed (I have a version with 3 tines - started out with 5)

This one has too long a handle
    Andrew+Turvey.JPG
    (From http://johngrimshawsgardendiary.blogspot.ie/2011/05/morning-in-may.html)
    You are going to have to kneel down to pick the bulbs up anyway and with a short handle you still have massive leverage when knelt down so saves all the getting up and down.

A "Bowles Fork" is also an excellent tool for general hand weeding and is also strong enough to get bits for propagation off large clumps of herbaceous perennials.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

tmq wrote: »
    I'm leaning towards bluebells from what i've found online. Doesn't sound like they're a great asset in the garden! Should I wait until they flower then pull them out? My main concern is that they bother the other plants.

Ye're a tough crowd...

You could let them flower and at least see if you like them? You can dig them out after flowering but before they set seed if you dislike them. (There's no need to pinch off flower heads until seeds start to set and dry after flowering.)

You could just remove the ones close to other plants but unless they are precious or fussy shrubs I still don't think they will be detrimental to growth.

A lot depends on your long term plans for the garden too.

Don't panic yet! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

If you do decide to dig them out, I'd love to get the bulbs off you please. I've a large wooded area they could thrive in.

Thanks everyone. I'll leave them for now anyway... I'm only renting, so would have to consult the owners before major changes. good to know what I'm dealing with though.... there's a few rogue ones in the lawn, I'll put a stop to them forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Very like wild onions. Does it have an oniony smell, sort of triangular-section leaf? white pointed flower buds?

Because if so, it is a rampant weed.

I hope it turns out to be bluebells!

Bluebells are great in a bluebell wood in the garden they are just a pain.

Qwerty? wrote: »
    If you do decide to dig them out, I'd love to get the bulbs off you please. I've a large wooded area they could thrive in.

If they really are Spanish Bluebells, and I suspect they are, then please do not plant them in woodland. They crowd out the native bluebells. They are having the same effect as grey squirrels, attractive enough in themselves, but rampant and taking over.

I took out a load of Spanish Bluebells from one bed last year, really dug deep and got every little bulb, I thought. They are coming up good-oh.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/wildlife/10003223/Native-bluebell-threatened-by-Spanish-invasion.html information here.

Just thought I'd throw a photo on of the bluebells, they look good after the wait!

Not sure what to do with them after they finish.... just let them die down? They look a bit overgrown, and I wouldn't mind planting some summer bedding amongst them.bluebells.jpg

I am fairly sure they are Spanish Bluebells, but just the angle of the photo makes it a bit hard to tell. Irish/English bluebells are more fragile looking and hang under the stem to one side.

You can leave them till you realise that you have a solid mat of foliage for several months for a couple of weeks of - admittedly very attractive - flowers, then dig them up.

You could dig out patches of them to put in annuals - you won't notice the difference next year as they will come up anyway and fill the patches!

You can dig them up now, but only put in annuals as the bluebells will come back next year and have to be dug again.

Your call, if you have loads of space and don't mind the foliage they can be left, but they will continue to spread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement