Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your squash routine weekly?

• 28-03-2015 3:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭

Just wondered what people do to improve or keep same, or generally how do you train.
    I play 3 times a week, a training session with drills, a league match. That's been my training during the season. I don't worry about if it's 3 matches in a week, which is rare, or if it's 2 training sessions and a match.
    Do people train differently in off season?
    I'm thinking possibly start running 5kms at a time, I noticed as the standard of my matches has risen the rallies are going on longer so my fitness starts to lack.
    I also have weak points like my back hand volley and my back hand in general, I find it hard to keep the ball low so as not to come off the back wall first, this is down to the face I don't get down to the ball with lunge and instead bend over too much. I've stuff to practice for that.
    So for summer I'll go to training sessions, meet up with friends to play for an hour and go to the courts on my own to work on my weak points. Oh and possibly do the dreaded running!
    Just wonder what do others do?
    I was thinking of tag rugby maybe for fitness but I got to many strains last time at it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

if you want to do something different for the off season that will benefit you next year i would recommend circuit classes, kettle bells TRX something like that. something with lots of functional movements like lunges squats press ups etc, there are any amount of gyms running these classes the country over so ask around. it will improve your aerobic fitness and will get you stronger especially in your core which makes a big difference.

out from that play a bit and try and do a bit of ghosting before or after every session. nothing improves your game like working on your movment. there are lots of good you tube videos on this with different routines etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

Ghosting I always forgot about it. I do some leg stuff and core stuff already, but good idea maybe I'll do some classes, have a friend a personal trainer, go take some of his maybe.
    I don't like doing fitness stuff on my own, harder to get motivated and push yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

ya i'm the same that's why the classes are good you are there with a group and tend to go for it. plus they are usually short enough prob working out for about 45 mins much the same as a squash match actually.

ghosting cannot be under estimated and if you do it as a HITT (high intensity interval training) session it does wonders for your match fitness.

google HITT to get an idea of what it is and then design a ghosting session to suit you.

depending on how fit you are you might start off with something like.

warm up: 5-8 mins ghosting but concentrating on slow controlled movement stepping into each shot correctly getting down to the (imaginary) ball and recovering to a split stance on the T.

then 8-10 reps of
    30sec flat out ghosting and recovering to the T.
    30 sec rest

as you get fitter work up to 45 secs on and 30 off
    then 1 min on 30 secs off
    if you can get to it 1 min on 15 secs off

warm down:
    5 mins back to the slow controlled movement ( at this stage very slow id say)

when you are going flat out it has to be just that by the end of each rep you should be under serious pressure.

some people bring a racket with them when they are doing this and some don't, for pure intensity probably better off without the racket.

now this is just something i have come up with myself i'm not a coach nor a fitness instructor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

Sounds good, I'd like to an hour a week and work on stuff in the court on my own
    Oh and get my skipping rope out, I like the idea of ghosting, you're working on fitness and getting better at squash, running doesn't really do both.
    But with running it would be handy to just walk out of house start and do it without taking much time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Whiskey Nose 14

play twice a week with a mate down a local club. No drills or anything of a sort, just good hard matches 1 v 1. Find them to be the best form of practice and means to improve

• Advertisement
Advertisement