Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSD-still have some slow boots and reboots

Options
  • 28-03-2015 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hi guys

I upgraded to a 6GB/s SSD on my dell core 2 duo machine(which i think is the old 1.5GB/s sata machine)

I did a fresh install of windows 8 on this and left the data on the old sata hard disk

Anywayz sometimes it boots real quick (like about 20 seconds) and other times it's as slow as it always was(about 2 minutes),reboots seem to take as long as always(no improvement)

I know the speed is there because sometimes it boots real quick

i tried doing some stuff to speed it up like disabling startup items and checking for updates etc.

any ideas thanks very much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 myrscossie

Try downloading newer BIOS from the dell website, download Slimdrivers this will help you download up to date drivers, also you could try replaceing the sata 1.5GB/s cable with a newer 6GB/s cable , the BIOS needs to set to ahci you will have to reinstall if its not.
    hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 jamesoneill

myrscossie wrote: »
    Try downloading newer BIOS from the dell website, download Slimdrivers this will help you download up to date drivers, also you could try replaceing the sata 1.5GB/s cable with a newer 6GB/s cable , the BIOS needs to set to ahci you will have to reinstall if its not.
    hope this helps
    OK will try that thanks

I thought sata cables were all the same speed?

i think they are same speed but i had two 1.5GB/s cables not work rite with an ssd i was going to clone before but worked ok with 6GB/s cable the two 1.5GB/s cables worked fine with harddrives just not with that ssd think it was an sandisk 120gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

When I read the thread title, I thought RAM.

When I read "Old Core 2 Duo Machine" - I also thought RAM. How much RAM is there. Bottleneck heirarchy of a PC these days is generally Network > Hard Drive > Memory > CPU. I'd think 4GB at a minimum; 6GB+ reccomended.

If this is a recent upgrade it could also be from background updates and indexing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

So why are we expecting an increase in speed when the bus speed for the HDD is only ever going to be 1.5GB/s?

• Advertisement

my3cents wrote: »
    So why are we expecting an increase in speed when the bus speed for the HDD is only ever going to be 1.5GB/s?

Would it not be faster?

Would it not be faster?

Data can only travel as fast as the slowest link so look up the motherboard and see check the max SATA speed. Probably 1.5GB/s but might be 3 GB/s but it won't be 6GB/s unless its a relatively new motherboard.

Overheal wrote: »
    When I read the thread title, I thought RAM.

When I read "Old Core 2 Duo Machine" - I also thought RAM. How much RAM is there. Bottleneck heirarchy of a PC these days is generally Network > Hard Drive > Memory > CPU. I'd think 4GB at a minimum; 6GB+ reccomended.

If this is a recent upgrade it could also be from background updates and indexing.

3GB

3GB

Thats good I'd expect a speed improvement but obviously not the full 6GB/s.

Data can only travel as fast as the slowest link so look up the motherboard and see check the max SATA speed. Probably 1.5GB/s but might be 3 GB/s but it won't be 6GB/s unless its a relatively new motherboard.

Sorry I meant would the new ssd not be faster
    The sata speed is 1.5GB/s

• Advertisement

Sorry I meant would the new ssd not be faster
    The sata speed is 1.5GB/s

So the drive can transfer data at 6GB/s but can't because the SATA contoller on the motherboard will only allow it to transfer data at 1.5Mbps.

I have upgraded old desktops and old laptops from harddrives to SSD and there is always a big improvement in speed. I think it's the biggest improvement you can make to any computer.

So the drive can transfer data at 6GB/s but can't because the SATA contoller oller on the phone motherboard will yonly allow it to transfer data at 1.5Mbps.

Will a new sata controller speed it up or will the motherboard still be a bottleneck on transfer speed?

Will a new sata controller speed it up or will the motherboard still be a bottleneck on transfer speed?

It should be faster and snappier just with the SSD even with the bottleneck. I don't have an SSD but find most boots on Windows 8 are very fast compared to any previous M$ OS.

If you still have the old HDD to image from then I'd do a clean install on the SSD and see if that gives you the improvements you are expecting.

It should be faster and snappier just with the SSD even with the bottleneck. I don't have an SSD but find most boots on Windows 8 are very fast compared to any previous M$ OS.

If you still have the old HDD to image from then I'd do a clean install on the SSD and see if that gives you the improvements you are expecting.

It is a clean install
    Sometimes boots fast sometimes slow

It is a clean install

It is a clean install

I think thats the way with Windows 8. Sometimes I get very slow boots for no apparent reason, just rebooted now and from hitting the power switch it took 15 seconds to get the login screen, 17 seconds to get the desktop and another 42 to get chrome open and back to this page. Yet sometimes it takes a minute or more to get to the login screen but that doesn't happen very often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Try using IE. Chrome has become a bloated ram hogging piece of junk lately.

• Advertisement

the slow boots seem to be after the pc has been off for a while and switched off at the mains outlet?

why would it boot slower after being plugged out than just shut down alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dodgy PSU maybe.

Advertisement