Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info on hiring a part time worker

Options
  • 28-03-2015 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭

Can anybody please point me in the right direction for information on hiring a part time worker? The work load can vary so a zero hour contract would be best at the moment. Id have between two and four days work every week. Ive done some online research but im not too sure about what contract id need to to provide somebody with. Would Intreo or some other Government body provide a one stop shop on hiring a part timer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Can anybody please point me in the right direction for information on hiring a part time worker? The work load can vary so a zero hour contract would be best at the moment. Id have between two and four days work every week. Ive done some online research but im not too sure about what contract id need to to provide somebody with. Would Intreo or some other Government body provide a one stop shop on hiring a part timer?

hmmmmm. . . I don't think that would go down too well in these parts if you're looking for help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Could well suit lots of people and nothing in the world wrong with it. As the business grows, then the hours do too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

callaway92 wrote: »
    hmmmmm. . . I don't think that would go down too well in these parts if you're looking for help!

Its unfortunate they have got a bad name in some areas, but its flexibility that some people want, particularly those with kids or studying.

I have enough work for two days a week but that can go to four days during summer and autumn. So that means im left short with a two day part timer. The plan is to get enough work for a full timer, but i cant do that unless i have the labour at the ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Best bet would be to simply hire a (ltd) contractor (depending on what type of work it is), there are plenty of ltd 'personal service company' contractors in all types of industries from manual labour (such as cleaners) to the more technical/professional.

Then again if it's something a barman or 'something traditionally only ever PAYE only' it could be unlikely and very few would entertain just 2hr pwk. Rec agencies may not be interested in just 2hrs either and it would cost you also.

Sub-contract could also be option, as it means you'd simply hire another company to help out. It benefits both parties as there is less paperwork/admin to worry about. The contractor does the tax, you simply pay their weekly/monthly invoice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

zero hour contracts have a bad name and can be a very negative point.

Depending on the work you have, you should be able to find someone who is either a stay at home parent or is looking to work more for adult company and keeping the mind alive (I have 2 people in their 50's & 60's who love doing 3 to 4 hours a day 2 or 3 days a week and don't want any more.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

With a zero-hour contract, as well as the regular requirements of having staff (operating the PAYE system, havign employer's liability insurance in place) you have legal responsibilities to pay your employee for at least 25% of the possible available hours or for 15 hours (whichever is less). Ref: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/contracts_of_employment/contracts_without_specific_working_hours_zero_hours_contracts.html

So it may be better to go for a contract with a guaranteed minimum hours each week and the possibility of some "overtime" (which is paid at the usual rate). Or to use a temping agency - who get around this by providing casual employment only, but won't guarantee you get the same worker every day/week.

Which way is best comes down to whether you need a stable person who will help you grow the buiness and who wants to eventually be working full time (warning: some part time people don't want to, at least partly because of the way the tax-system works), or whether you just need a warm body to do what you tell them to do. There are various in-between options, eg hiring a student who would eventually like to work full time, but all of them have risks/issues.

Re a sample contract, are you a member of any local small business or employer associations? That's where I'd go looking for a sample contract.

Advertisement