Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WALES Superthread

• 28-03-2015 10:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭

Couldn't find a superthread for us so here goes

GREAT win for us today, played them off the park, if we can get a result against the Belgians in June then it's 1 foot in the door, first finals since '58 when a young 17yr old Pele scored the only goal against us in the QF's

Any other taffs out there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not a Taff but really cheering you on for qualification, would be nice to see you in a major championship. I'm sure the excitement must be building as it becomes a possibility.

Great to see Bale shake off the doom of playing for Real Madrid and all the grief he's getting to bag himself a brace (and an assist too?) tonight. Like to see him do well, seems a decent spud.

Fingers crossed for the Belgium game. As the saying goes "get in t' them, they're easy".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Bale should be taking free kicks for Real Madrid. He's better than Ronaldo at them.

Would be delighted for the likes of Bale and Ramsey if Wales qualified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Over the years we've had it tough, a team that contained Rush, Saunders, Giggs, Southall, Mark Hughes, Gary Speed and more and we never got a sniff, must have been hard for them players never getting to the biggest international stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Fair play lads...Ye're flying. I hope ye qualify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

scudzilla wrote: »
    Over the years we've had it tough, a team that contained Rush, Saunders, Giggs, Southall, Mark Hughes, Gary Speed and more and we never got a sniff, must have been hard for them players never getting to the biggest international stage.

Baffles me how a team with those lads in it could not qualify for at least one tournament.

Maybe a case of talented individuals not making a good team?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Great win for Wales. Hoping we finally get to see them on the big stage during the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

A tremendous win for Wales and it was well deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Somewhere Dudu Aouate is one the ground, rolling in grief over this result.

Hopefully.

Great win for Wales. Even better that it came against Israel.

Would love to see Wales qualify for a major tournament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Would be delighted for the likes of Bale and Ramsey if Wales qualified.

Shout out for Williams too, who's a great centre half... Would love to have him in an Irish jersey!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Having lived in Swansea for couple years I do have soft spot for Wales.

Best of luck for the rest of campaign. So far so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Dean Saunders was my hero as a kid and i always thought it sucked that he never got to play on the biggest stage so i'll be rooting for Wales to qualify big time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I'm always surprised Wales never qualify for a major tournament considering all the great players they had over the years..Ian Rush, Dean Saunders, Mark Hughes, Ryan Giggs, Gary Speed, Neville Southall etc etc

good luck to them, hope they don't screw it up like they usually do

Wales seem to just have the right manager this time around, they've had quality for years, but with Williams, Bale and Ramsay they really could qualify for this competition. And I certainly hope they do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

one of the greatest goals of all time was scored by a welshman, who remembers this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Hopefully the fans will flock back to Cardiff City Stadium.

Best of luck Wales!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Whatever happened to G.K.?

Is Wales next game v Belgium?

If so, guess Kompany is out of it now?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is Wales next game v Belgium?

If so, guess Kompany is out of it now?

Yep

Remaining fixtures

12th June Belgium Home
    3rd September Cyprus Away
    6th September Israel Home
    10th October Bosnia Away
    13th October Andorra Home

Would take a point against Belgium, 4pts from the Sept Double header and 3/4 from the Oct double header should see us through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yep

Remaining fixtures

12th June Belgium Home
    3rd September Cyprus Away
    6th September Israel Home
    10th October Bosnia Away
    13th October Andorra Home

Would take a point against Belgium, 4pts from the Sept Double header and 3/4 from the Oct double header should see us through

Should really be looking for 6/6 from Israel at home and Cyrpus away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Might be heading over for the Wales game in June, in the away end of course ;)

The way we played against Israel I can't see us get much of a result there, Wales were a lot more impressive a few days earlier.

noodler wrote: »
    Should really be looking for 6/6 from Israel at home and Cyrpus away.

i know what we should be looking for, but being a Wales fan i'm used to use messing up games, so 4 and i'd be happy...ish

FIFA World Rankings were put out today and we're the highest we've ever been, at a lofty No.22, only 8 behind them :pac::pac:

14. England
    22. Wales
    29. Scotland
    42. Northern Ireland
    62 Rep of Ireland

Just hoping we can stay in the Top 30 as far too many times, just before a qualifying group draw we've been so low and ended up as 4th/5th seeds, which has crucified us

Huge game for us next week against the Belgians, a win and we can only throw the group away.

Good enough squad, the starting 11 could beat anyone on the day but i worry about the depth we have

Hennessey (Crystal Palace), Fon Williams (Tranmere),Ward (Liverpool), Williams (Swansea City - captain), Chester (Hull City), Gunter (Reading), Taylor (Swansea City), Dummett (Newcastle), Matthews (Celtic), Richards (Swansea City), Henley (Blackburn Rovers), Allen (Liverpool), Ledley (Crystal Palace), Ramsey (Arsenal), King (Leicester City), Vaughan (Nottingham Forest), MacDonald (Bournemouth), Cotterill (Birmingham City), Robson-Kanu (Reading), Lawrence (Leicester City), Bale (Real Madrid), Church (Charlton Athletic), Vokes (Burnley).

Big game tonight, seems like we're injury free while Fellaini is out with a groin injury.

Wales are a massive 4/1 to win with PP, gotta be worth a cheeky tenner

Hoping for a good game, but if we play the way we did against France I'm pretty sure we'll win ;)

Also, I just read in a Belgian newspaper that a bus of Belgian fans drove to Wales... in South Yorkshire :D

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Hoping for a good game, but if we play the way we did against France I'm pretty sure we'll win ;)

Also, I just read in a Belgian newspaper that a bus of Belgian fans drove to Wales... in South Yorkshire :D

There's your problem and it has been for years, inconsistency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

1-0 up at halftime. G'wan the leeks!

5 more minutes, come on, 5 MORE MINUTES

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Delighted for Wales. Thoroughly deserved.

Have to say though, Belgium are the most over-rated team in years. The way they were talked about as potential world cup winners is laughable in hindsight. Hazard is their only genuinely world class player. A lot of good players, but they are not a 'team'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It has been a while since I've heard an atmosphere like that. Fair play.

YES YES YES, F****n DELIGHTED, we can only throw qualification away now,

SCUD IS GOING TO FRANCE :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

amazing result, fair play to the taffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

On another note, it's great to see Bale's commitment to his country despite being a big shot player. Never cries off from friendlies for example when it'd be very easy for him to do so and you can see how much it means to him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Delighted for Wales, great atmosphere! Well done lads :) I'm jealous :( :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Fair play to Wales. Belgium are always underwhelming on the football field despite looking so strong on paper.

Really delighted for Wales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Great stuff. Congrats lads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Delighted for all my Welsh family :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

Delighted for all my Welsh family :)

Delighted for Wales to. I'm a quarter Welsh so makes it even better

• Advertisement

Fair play to Wales, they took their 1 chance.

Horrible game by Belgium, no tactics at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Fair play, thought the lack of a top class striker would hurt Wales. Great effort, hope they go on and qualify.

Ramsay and Bale were great, Xavi Allen not too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Woohoo go Wales! There won't be a sheep shagged in the valleys for a week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

efb wrote: »
    Woohoo go Wales! There won't be a sheep shagged in the valleys for a week!

Ugh

We're currently ranked #22 in the world in FIFA rankings, 16th in Europe, after last nights result we could move up 1, maybe 2 spots as we beat the #2 ranked team.

With no other games for us before the World Cup qualification draw on July 25th we could really end up in the 2nd seed pot, which would be a huge boost, too many times we've been in Pot 4 and it's killed us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

According to the BBC, they're gonna be top seeds and could enter the top 10 in the world....

SantryRed wrote: »
    According to the BBC, they're gonna be top seeds and could enter the top 10 in the world....

That's nuts, we're not a Top 10 team, it'd be great to get top seeding though, rules out a lot of other big names

We're seeded in Pot 1!!!!!!! That's amazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

We're seeded in Pot 1!!!!!!! That's amazing

That's great.
    Now all Ireland (possible 4th seeds I heard) need to do is get drawn into that pot.

That's great.
    Now all Ireland (possible 4th seeds I heard) need to do is get drawn into that pot.

Everyone in pot 2,3 & 4 will be hoping for us, but it gives us such an advantage, just have to make sure we don't fcuk it up like we've done so many times in the past

Ideal for me is

Bosnia
    Greece
    Estonia (but would like Ireland for the craic)
    Moldova
    Andorra

Nightmare would be

France
    Ukraine
    Turkey
    Cyprus
    Kazahkstan

• Advertisement
Advertisement