Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tommee Tippee Perfect Prep

Options
  • 28-03-2015 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭

These seem to be coming up at decent prices on and off lately. I know the theory of it is that you get a perfect temperature bottle at room temperature in just a couple of minutes and more or less negates the need to batch make. I breastfed initially with my first and plan to do the same for a couple of months again this time. Husband was talking about getting one of these if and when I give up breastfeeding. Are they worth it? Do they take up much space in comparison to we'll say a toaster or an electric steriliser? If I was leaving the baby in my parents for a couple of hours could I use this to make a couple of bottles and refrigerate them like you could if you were batch making the bottles? I know that making fresh is preferable but it isn't always practical.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Roesy wrote: »
    These seem to be coming up at decent prices on and off lately. I know the theory of it is that you get a perfect temperature bottle at room temperature in just a couple of minutes and more or less negates the need to batch make. I breastfed initially with my first and plan to do the same for a couple of months again this time. Husband was talking about getting one of these if and when I give up breastfeeding. Are they worth it? Do they take up much space in comparison to we'll say a toaster or an electric steriliser? If I was leaving the baby in my parents for a couple of hours could I use this to make a couple of bottles and refrigerate them like you could if you were batch making the bottles? I know that making fresh is preferable but it isn't always practical.

Yes they are amazing and worth every penny! They take up around the same amount of space as the toaster! I bought the machine when I stopped pumping and it literally changed my life!
    I am sure you could make up bottles then cool them quickly for your mums. I never did this myself as I was a bit OTT I would buy those cartons or make them up the long way as I needed them.
    I still use mine as I give toddler milk as well as cows milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Best buy ever. We got one on Amazon Black Friday and it is the best thing! We've used it both ways, for instant bottles and for the fridge. For the first three weeks or so (I couldn't breast feed due to meds) we made each bottle as we went. I can do this one handed while holding the baby, my OH finds that very difficult but I think it's just because I had a lot more practise with it.

Then we needed to start the baba on lactase drops so for the last six weeks we have made up the bottles for the day and put them in the bottom of the back of the fridge. In terms of capacity I've found I can make 4-5 six ounce bottles at one time (depending on how quick I am) before the machine needs time to let water filter through. Sometimes if I'm a bit slow then enough is through for the fifth, other times not. Size wise it's neat, no bigger than a toaster (tho a bit taller). It's so neat it has travelled to the grandparents with us on several occasions.

I cannot recommend it highly enough

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I paid £50 from amazon ,it is fantastic .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Millem wrote: »
    Yes they are amazing and worth every penny! They take up around the same amount of space as the toaster! I bought the machine when I stopped pumping and it literally changed my life!
    I am sure you could make up bottles then cool them quickly for your mums. I never did this myself as I was a bit OTT I would buy those cartons or make them up the long way as I needed them.
    I still use mine as I give toddler milk as well as cows milk.

I didn't have this option last time as she was on reflux formula so I forgot about the pre made cartons. Hoping this one won't be the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

With the reflux formula, don't you have to make it up cold? So if the new baby ends up needing it (hopefully not!) you wouldn't be able to use the machine. So maybe it would be worth holding out until you've finished breastfeeding before buying it? Having said that, I'm sure it would have a good secondhand resale value, if it came to it.

Personally, having thoroughly researched the issue, I was perfectly happy to make up a batch of bottles 24 hours in advance - as far as I'm concerned (and as far as the formula manufacturers were concerned), as long as you do it correctly, there are no H&S issues in doing this. And I'd consider making bottles in advance and microwaving when needed to be less hassle than using the machine each time. It's a personal choice though!

If I thought that it was important for bottles to be made fresh each time, I'd probably buy the machine alright rather than letting the kettle boil and cool every 3-4 hours in the early days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Also just to point out we were in Tallaght hospital for two days when the baby was only 4 days old, the bottles were made in advance and in the fridge for us. Once we saw that we were a bit more relaxed about switching to making batches of them when we needed the lactease drops

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

With the reflux formula, don't you have to make it up cold? So if the new baby ends up needing it (hopefully not!) you wouldn't be able to use the machine. So maybe it would be worth holding out until you've finished breastfeeding before buying it? Having said that, I'm sure it would have a good secondhand resale value, if it came to it.

Personally, having thoroughly researched the issue, I was perfectly happy to make up a batch of bottles 24 hours in advance - as far as I'm concerned (and as far as the formula manufacturers were concerned), as long as you do it correctly, there are no H&S issues in doing this. And I'd consider making bottles in advance and microwaving when needed to be less hassle than using the machine each time. It's a personal choice though!

If I thought that it was important for bottles to be made fresh each time, I'd probably buy the machine alright rather than letting the kettle boil and cool every 3-4 hours in the early days.

That's why I want to hold off. The formula we used last time had to be cooled for 45 minutes, it was a pain. Would be looking for cold water stuff this time if we got unlucky again with the reflux. We batch made last time. Wasn't that bad but I'll have a 19 month old a newborn this time so any bit of extra convenience would be welcomed!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dustie1

This is the most fantastic baby aid ever! I got it on Amazon's Black Friday too. But they have it discounted every so often. I used the prepared bottles for first week or two and then switched to a lactose free powder formula. I used the lactase drops also (weirdly that was the solution to my babys wind issues) I never bothered to batch prepare as I had a small fridge and not much extra room. Still using the perfect prep for 10month old now for 1-2 bottles a day.. The only thing I dont like much is the noise the machine makes.. but Im so used to it now I barely hear it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I paid £50 from amazon ,it is fantastic .

I got it in the Black Friday deal too for this price. My wife and I wouldn't be without it, the machine is an absolute Godsend.

There seems to be a lot of fuss about the beeping noise being too loud, I think people just like to whinge. If anything, the loudness is a bonus because, at least for me personally, if I've been doing another task in the middle of the night and am half asleep, the beep gives my sleepy brain nudge to remember to go back and collect the bottle! :o

I like using the machine in the mornings. I make up the bottles for the day and put them all in the fridge (we use Mam bottles, but the bottle provided is very good too as it has a variable flow teat). That way we have Colief already in the formula and ready to go (as you need to give it 30 minutes prior to feeding for it to work).

A handy tip in that respect by the way; I have a couple of those giant mugs you normally get from Sports Direct, or when you go on holidays and buy them in souvenier shops. These are great for sticking a bottle in from the fridge. Simply chuck in a bottle from the fridge, fill with cold water from the tap until it bobs a bit, dump the water in the kettle (so as not to waste energy), boil and bung it back in and let the bottle sit for a bit (swishing the bottle round a few times to get the milk temperature to mix).

I do the same at night when I get home from work. Wash the bottles, sterilise them, make the bottles with the Tommee Tippee machine and bung them in the fridge. That's all the bottles done for the rest of the night then! One less thing for my wife to have to worry about anyway. :)

It goes without saying as well that it is great for us blokes that love gadgets too. :D

Advertisement