Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dublin, advice please help

Options
  • 29-03-2015 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all i really need help,
    I want to move to Dublin because my husband works there and we are paying for 2 homes, which is crazy money and my husband travels up and down on weekends.
    I need help on what are the areas to avoid please, I was looking at Ongar, Blanchardstown, Tyrrelstown areas????
    all advice welcome, I have 2 kids 9 and 14 and I need a safe and welcoming place for them as they change is going to be hard. So I will need a primary school for my girl and a secondary school for my boy,,,,,,, all suggestions welcome
    thank you for your thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Are you looking to rent or buy, what's the budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭gogreen81

Depends on where your husband works as well . City centre has connectivity to most places but u don't want to be living there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

gogreen81 wrote: »
    Depends on where your husband works as well . City centre has connectivity to most places but u don't want to be living there

Why would you say that? Living city centre is great albeit a bit more expensive than the areas posted by the O.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

Getting a place in a school for your kids should probably be your priority as it can be quite a challenge in Dublin.

Parts of D15 have their own issues like any city, its a little while since I lived out that way so can't comment on what its like now. A good drive around the area at different times of the day will give you a good feeling for the area and if you feel it is suitable for you and your family. Other areas to consider might be Clonee?

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Magicmatilda

It depends on where your husband works.

I would not recommend any of the areas you have mentioned to be honest. You might be better off in a commuter town like Maynooth, Naas, Drogheda. These all have good rail/bus links but give you a more mixed bag of people and might be a better environment for the kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

If they're uprooting to avoid a nasty commute then I don't know if moving to a commuter town is a good option!

OP what about North County Dublin? Somewhere like Rush, Lusk or Donabate? Good transport links, lots schools etc and rents aren't too bad (for Dublin).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It depends on where your husband works.

I would not recommend any of the areas you have mentioned to be honest. You might be better off in a commuter town like Maynooth, Naas, Drogheda. These all have good rail/bus links but give you a more mixed bag of people and might be a better environment for the kids.

I live in Blanchardstown and I love it! Great access to the city, good neighbours, lots of schools and community groups. Not a hope I'd choose any of those commuter towns over it. Have lived in the UK and in Rathmines and Lucan previously

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I lived in Blanch for years (the older, more settled part) and it was great.. Blanch SC on your doorstep which has everything you'll need from a shopping/entertainment perspective, some decent pubs in the area, regular bus service, and the Maynooth line train as well. It's also M50 adjacent which is great.

As someone said above, I wouldn't live in the city centre either.. noisy at night with drunken eejits, junkies and antisocial behaviour in the centre of town, traffic chaos, and most places are just very run-down IMO.

Naas and Drogheda wouldn't appeal either.. the latter for much the same reasons as the City Centre, and the former because traffic is a nightmare on the N7.. not just sheer volume during peak times, but the amount of muppetry that goes on!

It depends on where the OP's husband is working though as that will make a lot of decisions automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mamabearhug

Thanks to everyone for all your help and advice. I have finally found a house to buy. After looking at about 50 house's in all different locations. The worst part wasthat so many people came to the vviewings. So what started out at 210 210k ended up with the house being way over our budget. I was hoping to be close to Blanchards town but it was not happing. My husband works in Intel. He doesn't mind the commute to work as his job is flexible with time. Luckily for us. A really hard part is getting schools for both my kids. God I would not wish a move like this on anyone. It's very stressful. Finally we have found a new house not completed yet in the south end of Balbriggan close to another even smaller town. 5 mins from the beach . We spent a lot of time and research before we paid our booking deposit. I am still waiting on schools. This is crazy. Each school has a waiting list. If you ask me all the kids waiting are the same kids. There should be some deposit in place if you are interested in a school. I am sure that not many people would put there names down for 10 schools then. This would make life so easy for everyone involved. I am not talking about a big deposit only 10euro.again thank you to everyone
    I am new to boards so excuse my lateness in getting back to you all.

Advertisement