Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to remove super glue residue from car window

Options
  • 29-03-2015 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

So I was putting on L plates on my car and they kept falling off, eventually I got sick of it and decided to use super glue. Seemed like a great idea at the time and it worked, only too well.
    I removed the L plates but half the red from the L and super glue remains on my car windows both back and front.
    Anyone any tips on how to get it off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

While we're on about it, I was being a tight cnut a while back and tried to glue an old badge back on the boot lid, with super glue, it ran a bit, I wiped it thinking it would be fine, but just made it worse. Any ideas?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

A single edged blade would remove it from glass, im sure super glue remover is still available too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

A single edged blade would remove it from glass, im sure super glue remover is still available too.

Would white spirits do the same job?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Would white spirits do the same job?

I wouldn't think so, you wont do any damage or harm in trying anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Scrape it or use acetone (nail polish remover) or isopropyl alcohol to soften it and wipe it off.

@Noccy: use IPA rather than acetone on the paintwork. Acetone can strip the clear coat or damage the paintwork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭dmc17

You could try using a drop of petrol

• Registered Users Posts: 82,538 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Baby wipes might take it off depending on the glue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Try some wd40 and a good wipe after it. It works on paint work too

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

Ask in the detailing section, few of the detailing pro's will be able to point you to right products and where to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Mintoe

Single edge blade will do for the windows.....

Turpentine not white spirits for the paint work.... White spirits is chemicals while turps is natural extract

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pheelay

Be careful with demister wires on the rear window if you superglued over them. I'd expect it very difficult to remove to glue without damaging them.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭robbiew

So I was putting on L plates on my car and they kept falling off, eventually I got sick of it and decided to use super glue. Seemed like a great idea at the time and it worked, only too well.
    I removed the L plates but half the red from the L and super glue remains on my car windows both back and front.
    Anyone any tips on how to get it off?

Have you tried replacing the windows :P

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I suppose OP got sorted back in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

biko wrote: »
    I suppose OP got sorted back in March.

Ah now now don't ruin the mans moment of fun :D

Advertisement