Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New bike in Dublin. What anti theft measures do you use?

• 29-03-2015 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,

I recently purchased a new roadster bike that I will be picking up in the next couple of weeks. It's a 700cc sexy looking bike so thieves will for sure try to take it.

I'm only living in Dublin for a year but I've read tons of stories of bikes getting stolen and I'm very concerned about it. I read that a ground anchor plus an almax chain is a basic measure. Also, to be careful with underground parkings cause many bikes gets stolen in these.

What other measures would you use? Would an alarmed disc lock? Any brand that is good and thieves don't know their way around it? Also, I can ask the dealer to fit an alarm on my bike? Is it really worth or thieves don't have any issue with disconnecting it?

Is parking on the street using all these things together safe enough???

Cheers,

Miguel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

you'll find people not too disclosing with giving their security information away on the internet - to potential thieves..

alarm, chain, ground anchor, near cctv - but understand, if they want it bad enough, they'll take it

• Registered Users Posts: 14 migualo

I'm not looking for personal information. Just general advice on what is more reliable, what brands are better, what ways do the thieves operate in dublin so I know the safest way to store my bike, etc. Not specifics for each person.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

The way thieves operate here is no different to anywhere else - as James said if they want it, no amount of security will stop them

All you can do is enough to satisfy yourself and make sure it's insured for where it will be kept

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭prunudo

Be extra careful parking it in underground carparks. There's been a fair few robbed while stored in these, even from ones which are supposed to have 'secured' access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

jvan wrote: »
    Be extra careful parking it in underground carparks. There's been a fair few robbed while stored in these, even from ones which are supposed to have 'secured' access.

This +1000

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    This +1000

This +10,000,000,000,000

If they want it, and its in an underground they'll likely get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

I have a Xena disc lock, it was ok for a few months and then started going off the whole time for no reason. I have had the module changed a few times for free but it lasts for a few months and then starts going off again, wouldn't recommend them at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

migualo wrote: »
    Hi,

I recently purchased a new roadster bike that I will be picking up in the next couple of weeks. It's a 700cc sexy looking bike so thieves will for sure try to take it.

I'm only living in Dublin for a year but I've read tons of stories of bikes getting stolen and I'm very concerned about it. I read that a ground anchor plus an almax chain is a basic measure. Also, to be careful with underground parkings cause many bikes gets stolen in these.

What other measures would you use? Would an alarmed disc lock? Any brand that is good and thieves don't know their way around it? Also, I can ask the dealer to fit an alarm on my bike? Is it really worth or thieves don't have any issue with disconnecting it?

Is parking on the street using all these things together safe enough???

Cheers,

Miguel

You can't install a ground anchor on the street, luckily they usually have lampposts. Problem with parking on the street is people climbing all over it or just damaging it, parking so that it can't be interfered with by joe public makes it easier to steal.

Make sure any alarm fitted has an immobiliser and is insurance approved, I got a decent refund a few years ago when I told them I had a Meta alarm fitted, and it has to be professionally installed. The more layers of security you have on it the less likely it is to be stolen. Invest in a decent cover, if they can't see it they might ignore it.

If they really want it they'll get it no matter what you do, so have at least fire and theft cover on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

Put it into a locked and alarmed garage or a steel shed out the back. Underground car parks and street parking are terrible for keeping a bike. Could you have piece of mind if you went away for a week and left it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,369 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

theft insurance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

What you said yourself OP. Almax chained to ground anchor or something else solid and a good disc lock. I park in an underground car park, nothing secure about them cos scummers jjust need to follow a car in. But it's obviously better than on street, and keeps the bike out of the elements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Out of sight is out of mind. The less the bike is seen parked up the less likely you are to have it stolen. Mine is in the garage which is now behind a set of wooden gates on the drive so that when the garage is open no one can see what is in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No problem with the Xena. My favourite lock and would recommend. It has a piercing siren.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭DJDylan106

Im only on a little 125 but it's my pride and joy. Locked in a reinforced steel shipping container ( which is alarmed to the house ), alarmed padlock on the door under a steel lockbox, and thats just what its stored in. Bike itself has an alarm + immobiliser and plastic covered steel chain through the forks and front wheel, to the rear wheel of my dad's bike.

And yet still... if I hear a noise during the night you'll be sure ill be out the back armed with a weapon of choice in the case that some unlucky f*cker may be trying to get hold of it. :cool:

( considering the bike isn't insured for theft, I take a lot of time to make sure it won't be stolen... As you can see )

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭martin gillespie

jameshayes wrote: »
    you'll find people not too disclosing with giving their security information away on the internet - to potential thieves..

alarm, chain, ground anchor, near cctv - but understand, if they want it bad enough, they'll take it
    A Loose strong chain to something that cant move or be cut trough , Almax series iv uber chain and lock , a top dog in chain lock combo also oxford Hardcore xl chain plus a disc lock.if some one at work has a bike lock the to each other and never lock the wheels only ALWAYS THE FRAME.
    HOPE THUS HELPS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Lots of good advice on alarms, anchors and locks etc. I'll add that a motorbike cover is also a deterent for street or underground parking.

And always put on your steering lock.

Lads in fairness the oxford hardcore chain series LOOKS the part but it is in fact quite a low quality chain and lock. I had one on my bike for years, google it getting cut its piss easy. Dont get me wrong its better then nothing....

Almax is the only way to go TBH if its in plain public sight, that and a decade of the rosary and a splash of holy water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Put a tracker on it. Plenty out there now can be got for small money. That said in itself you then have to get the bike back. You'd imagine just ring the Gardaí and telling them where it is would be enough but it's not. Know a lad who had to rob his own bike back believe it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

A Loose strong chain to something that cant move or be cut trough , Almax series iv uber chain and lock , a top dog in chain lock combo also oxford Hardcore xl chain plus a disc lock.if some one at work has a bike lock the to each other and never lock the wheels only ALWAYS THE FRAME.
    HOPE THUS HELPS.

You can get through most top of the line chains in about 60 seconds with the proper angle grinder. Yes a good lock and chain will keep wacko and his group of tracksuit wearing scumbag friends from nicking your pride and joy but the professional will have the bike in the van in less than a minute from the second they arrived on scene.

I have a pewag chain with a rock wall hardness of about 63 and this is about the best in the business. Will laugh at a set of bolt cutters and you will need an industrial strength angle grinder to get through it. I've been told it can take up to 5 minutes for this to be cut.

You can get through most top of the line chains in about 60 seconds with the proper angle grinder. Yes a good lock and chain will keep wacko and his group of tracksuit wearing scumbag friends from nicking your pride and joy but the professional will have the bike in the van in less than a minute from the second they arrived on scene.

I have a pewag chain with a rock wall hardness of about 63 and this is about the best in the business. Will laugh at a set of bolt cutters and you will need an industrial strength angle grinder to get through it. I've been told it can take up to 5 minutes for this to be cut.

That's all well and good till they come into the house looking for the keys, I know several people who've had to sell nice cars because of scumbags breaking into the house for the car. Make it secure enough to deter all but the "professionals", at the end of the day it can be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭martin gillespie

Del2005 wrote: »
    That's all well and good till they come into the house looking for the keys, I know several people who've had to sell nice cars because of scumbags breaking into the house for the car. Make it secure enough to deter all but the "professionals", at the end of the day it can be replaced.

WATCH THE ALMAX VIDEO ON YOU TUBE , you wont get trough these in 60 seconds , UNLESS you lock to a secure post ect.
    Years ago i would go into town on my DT125 lc with four locks , as they could not take it they tried to burn it on a few occasion , even with security staff nearby. Mad but true

WATCH THE ALMAX VIDEO ON YOU TUBE , you wont get trough these in 60 seconds , UNLESS you lock to a secure post ect.
    Years ago i would go into town on my DT125 lc with four locks , as they could not take it they tried to burn it on a few occasion , even with security staff nearby. Mad but true

Which is why they don't bother going for the chain they go for the keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

Ideally, one of these...

palma2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

listermint wrote: »
    No problem with the Xena. My favourite lock and would recommend. It has a piercing siren.

No problems with Xena XX14 for me either. Six months and still going on original battery, despite being armed nearly all the time.

Got it because siren and shock sensing on standard BMW alarm are hopeless - you have to actually lean the thing over before it'll go "off" i.e. make a few pathetic beeps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Physical security is good but in the event of it being stolen a tracker is a pretty reasonable way of finding it again.
    http://www.fastbikesmag.com/fastbikes-forum/showthread.php?t=441

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Physical security is good but in the event of it being stolen a tracker is a pretty reasonable way of finding it again.
    http://www.fastbikesmag.com/fastbikes-forum/showthread.php?t=441

Can anyone recommend a place that fits GPS trackers? Don't know if I want to play with electronics myself and kill the bike :P

Is it just me or does anyone else prefer not to get a bike back if it was robbed? I would rather just get the insurance money then get a bike back in bits that some scumbag rallied all night!!!

No thanx, would have no confidence in that machine anymore.....

• Advertisement

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Is it just me or does anyone else prefer not to get a bike back if it was robbed? I would rather just get the insurance money then get a bike back in bits that some scumbag rallied all night!!!

No thanx, would have no confidence in that machine anymore.....

Depends. If it was wheeled down a road and never started, grand. But I know lads that robbed a ducati 998, stuck it on a brick and gave it full revs to see if the engine would blow.

Advertisement