Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Window Company Installation Error

• 29-03-2015 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi.

Not sure if this is the right thread but kind of at a loss.

Just looking for some advice on this.

A well known window company (with a provincial name) installed a set of doors to the rear off my house. I came home to find them installed, the measurements off about 5 inches so huge gap at the top of door.

We are building an extension so have a builder in.

The contract was for the window company to measure, supply and fit the doors. Rep now saying it's the builders fault as he took measurements off him. Builder Denys this.
    The contract we signed has our signature and the reps only. On it are measurements that are off by over 100mm.

I received no written confirmation to say they would be deviating from the agreement and using the builders measurements. On the contract it makes no reference to the builder.

Anyone have any experience with this? The rep is saying the window company is in no way liable. I have escalated it to management.

Have spent thousands on these would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Having dealt with this company, i will never do business again.

When we moved into our house, we had the front two windows installed.

The messing involved between the installer and the rep was so unprofessional.

The keys for the windows werent provided, the stoppers to cover screws were missing and the wrong sealant put along the windows.

Similarly to you, the builder and rep are both blaming each other.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Goodworkhock

cruais wrote: »
    Having dealt with this company, i will never do business again.

When we moved into our house, we had the front two windows installed.

The messing involved between the installer and the rep was so unprofessional.

The keys for the windows werent provided, the stoppers to cover screws were missing and the wrong sealant put along the windows.

Similarly to you, the builder and rep are both blaming each other.

Google the reviews. Awful.

Best of luck.

Went off word of mouth from people who had no problems. Luck of the draw I guess. With the window company/builder blaming in your case, who won out?

Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: I have heavily edited this thread. The window company in question cannot be named (...in the context of the content of this thread). Please do not name the company again. Thanks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

1. The contract was for the window company to measure, supply and fit the doors. Rep now saying it's the builders fault as he took measurements off him. Builder Denys this.
    2. The contract we signed has our signature and the reps only. On it are measurements that are off by over 100mm.
    3. I received no written confirmation to say they would be deviating from the agreement and using the builders measurements. On the contract it makes no reference to the builder.

4. Anyone have any experience with this? The rep is saying the window company is in no way liable. I have escalated it to management.

Have spent thousands on these would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks.

1a Who decided what window company to use?
    1b who tendered for the windows?
    1c what was on the tendering documents regarding measuring?

2. So the contract is between you and the win company. The contract was signed ( and inadvertently checked) by you

3. So the contract is between you and the window company. you signed to confirm you were happy to proceed with the measurements taken by whomever.

4a Do you have an architect/ engineer?
    4b Why did YOU sign for the windows?

From what you have Stated the company is not liable.
    This is why (even if you selected the company) it's worth putting the window package as part of the main contractors remit and making the contractor deal with paying/attendance of the window company. You should have stayed out of It. - instructing your architect of what you wanted upfront from your windows. Then architect tenders drawings, supplier quotes, contract forms win opes, supplier measures up, architect reviews and signs off on the shop drawings and supplier installs. This company is notorious, your architect and builder should have known better
    ]

• Advertisement

BryanF wrote: »
    1. A. Who decided what window company to use?
    1bWould tendered the window?
    1cWhat was on the tendering documents regarding measure?

2. So you in the contract is between you and the win company. The contract was signed ( and inadvertally checked) by you

3. So you contract is between you and the window company and you signed to confirm you were happy to proceed with the measurements taken by whomever.

4.a Do you have an architect/ engineer?
    4b, Why did YOU sign for the windows?

From what you have Stated the company is not liable.

Hi. Thanks for asking the questions. Will answer in order.

We contacted the company independent of the builder.
    There was no tender as such as we went with them from that start.
    The measurement was stated--a mm figure--and other additional things that I have no idea of as it was window jargon. Channels, depths etc. And also the window was drawn, the openings shown, the colour etc.
    The "you" in the contract is between us(me and wife) and the company only.
    We do have an engineer yes.
    We signed the sheet as it is a terms of sale that has a space at the bottom for the reps signature and the "customer sig" It's a given we have to sign something and since the company is reputable had no reason to believe this was not standard.

From that info can you explain why the company in not liable IYO? Thanks again.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Hi. Thanks for asking the questions. Will answer in order.

We contacted the company independent of the builder.
    There was no tender as such as we went with them from that start.
    The measurement was stated--a mm figure--and other additional things that I have no idea of as it was window jargon. Channels, depths etc. And also the window was drawn, the openings shown, the colour etc.
    The "you" in the contract is between us(me and wife) and the company only.
    We do have an engineer yes.
    We signed the sheet as it is a terms of sale that has a space at the bottom for the reps signature and the "customer sig" It's a given we have to sign something and since the company is reputable had no reason to believe this was not standard.

From that info can you explain why the company in not liable IYO? Thanks again.

Mod edit: you seem to spammed this across other forums, so we'll close this one? Feel free to PM the mods http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057405108

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement