Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Easter Lily.

• 29-03-2015 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭

Annual thread about how awful/great/patriotic wearing the Easter Lily is.

Sure isn't it the same/worse/better that wearing the Poppy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Never in my life seen an Easter Lily.
    Poppy wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

This should get interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I wear one every year,its a lovely small painted metal one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

**Gets popcorn :) **

kneemos wrote: »
    Never in my life seen an Easter Lily.
    Poppy wins.

Never?

• Advertisement

deise08 wrote: »
    **Gets popcorn :) **

You'll ruin your dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

I wear one every year,its a lovely small painted metal one.

Would you wear the Poppy at all, at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Everyone should try and wear it....even if you don't want to give money to those selling it.....go on the net and download and print one off :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

Its offensive.

Sorry Republicans/IRA/SinnFein but there isn't a dislike button.

Never?

Not that I've noticed.

• Advertisement

Everyone should try and wear it....even if you don't want to give money to those selling it.....go on the net and download and print one off :)

Why's that?

Why's that?

Because it's for a good cause and remembers those who died in the fight for Irish freedom.....even if you dislike those selling them...you'll be able to get them for free by printing them off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joe912

I think the best solution would be for republicans to state that the poppy be used to honour dead republicans and sell them and use the money raised to support victims of british oppression.
    This would help to stop loyalists in the six counties from wearing and driving around with stupid plastic ones on their cars just to annoy their neighbours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Flowers are for girls. People should be searched that wear them on the 1916 100 anniversary day because I guarantee some will have the poppy on aswell hidden somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

ah, te fight for Irish freedom! And when it's over sure we'll just fight among ourselves for a while, make the needless body count a bit higher.

No thanks.

Because it's for a good cause and remembers those who died in the fight for Irish freedom.....even if you dislike those selling them...you'll be able to get them for free by printing them off

Maybe it's me though I suspect it's a common thing,but I've never felt gratitude or anything else for those that fought for Irish freedom.
    Perhaps the modern day republicans have sullied their image.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

ah, te fight for Irish freedom! And when it's over sure we'll just fight among ourselves for a while, make the needless body count a bit higher.

No thanks.

So you would have rather we stayed under British rule?

Would you wear the Poppy at all, at all?

No,I'm an Irishman.I'm well aware that a significant number of my countrymen lost their lives in ww1,but they were fighting for a foreign army against a foreign enemy on foreign soil.Why would I commemorate that?I don't find the poppy offensive,nor do I find it offensive when Irish people wear them.
    What I did find offensive however was the abuse young James mc clean got a couple of years back for refusing to wear one when he was lining out for sunderland against everton,I think the poor lad even got death threats.

kneemos wrote: »
    Maybe it's me though I suspect it's a common thing,but I've never felt gratitude or any that else for those that fought for Irish freedom.
    Perhaps the modern day republicans have sullied their image.

Perhaps.....but it's a thing of nothing to wear it....though I will say many that I see wearing it....wear it for all the wrong reason and are only racists and drug addicts who wear it to offend others and have no real patriotic beliefs

It is a disservice to wear it espially to offend others

kfallon wrote: »
    So you would have rather we stayed under British rule?

I'd rather not commemorate mindless killing and pyrrhic victories.

• Advertisement

No,I'm an Irishman.I'm well aware that a significant number of my countrymen lost their lives in ww1,but they were fighting for a foreign army against a foreign enemy on foreign soil.Why would I commemorate that?I don't find the poppy offensive,nor do I find it offensive when Irish people wear them.
    What I did find offensive however was the abuse young James mc clean got a couple of years back for refusing to wear one when he was lining out for sunderland against everton,I think the poor lad even got death threats.

But it wasn't a foreign army, not at the time. No?

If you want a proper lily get one from the national graves association.They are not political and take care of the plots of those involved in the rising,and the money raised goes towards maintenance of those graves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

You didn't answer my question! And btw I'm not referring with anything to do with the troubles

But it wasn't a foreign army, not at the time. No?

Nice one.... but I'm not taking the bait.

If you want a proper lily get one from the national graves association.They are not political and take care of the plots of those involved in the rising,and the money raised goes towards maintenance of those graves.

Download/print one.....everyone should try and wear one of they want and no one should have to pay for one....:)

Nice one.... but I'm not taking the bait.

Why not? It's true isn't it? No point in applying modern ideas to 100 years ago. Many went to fight to oppose independence, many went to ensure it and many went for a few quid.

But they were part of Britain. Or have I my history wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

I wear both. One celebrates the fight for our freedom, the other celebrates an important conflict that the empire we were once an active part in fought.

Why not? It's true isn't it? No point in apply modern ideas to 100 years ago. Many went to fight to oppose independence, many went to ensure it and many went for a few quid.

Many went of need for money as Britin couldn't bring in conscription in Ireland so banned emigration and the lack of any real economy base in Ireland meant many had little choice but to sign up/or die of the hunger

That is your history lesson today...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

I personally do not see how it is offensive, it is worn as a symbol of gratitude for a group of Irish men and women who thankfully had the bravery to stand up against oppression and tyranny in easter week 1916 and set in motion a chain of events which would ultimately inspire another group of Irish men and women to push further and eventually achieve Irish independence in 1922.

I wear it to remember their sacrifices, the same way other nations remember their war dead, but I forgot this is boards.ie which means let's all be anti Irish and ashamed of our past.

I genuinely wish this country had more people around these days similar to who lived back then, people who actually stand up for their people.

• Advertisement

kfallon wrote: »
    You didn't answer my question! And btw I'm not referring with anything to do with the troubles

I did answer it. I think the whole period of 1916-23 was the most shameful in modern Irish history, and I don't see anything there for me to commemorate.

What I think of British rule is irrelevant to what I think of the easter lily.

Like the somme?

Many went of need for money as Britin couldn't bring in conscription in Ireland so banned emigration and the lack of any real economy base in Ireland meant many had little choice but to sign up/or die of the hunger

That is your history lesson today...

Is that what you're getting at?

Like the somme?

Exactly like the Somme.

Remember it, definitely. Deify it, not for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Why not? It's true isn't it? No point in applying modern ideas to 100 years ago. Many went to fight to oppose independence, many went to ensure it and many went for a few quid.

Britain is an island just to the east of Ireland.So this country was never part of Britain.

Given the way that so many who joined up upon return helped to drive it out of the country/train more of those who are commentated by the lily....I think you have any idea of there opionon of the empire....

:pac:

• Advertisement

Britain is an island just to the east of Ireland.So this country was never part of Britain.

The British Empire then, if it suits you better :D

The Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland etc etc. I thought you'd know what I meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I've never seen anyone wear one, but then again I would rarely leave the house on Easter Sunday. It's a sleeping and eating day.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

"Its 'guiding principle' is "Only a 32 County Irish Republic represents the true aspiration of those who gave their lives for Irish freedom". As a result it does not look after the graves of British soldiers or Irish soldiers who were on the pro-treaty side in the Irish Civil War"

Yeah, not political at all. A stalking horse, as usual.

Given the way that so many who joined up upon return helped to drive it out of the country/train more of those who are commentated by the lily....I think you have any idea of there opionon of the empire....

:pac:

I wouldn't disagree. As I said, people went for many reasons.

The point made was that Ireland was not a part of the Empire. It was. That's a fact. It was not a foreign army.

I've no qualms with anything you're saying, to any great degree anyway.

Can we just provide a link to the threads from previous years and shut this down?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

Its offensive.

Sorry Republicans/IRA/SinnFein but there isn't a dislike button.

No it's not.

Sorry Revisionist Apologists/West Brits/Pro-Union Loyalist & Monarchists but there isn't a dislike button for the above.

galljga1 wrote: »
    Can we just provide a link to the threads from previous years and shut this down?

Needs to be vented regularly or we'll get a blockage.

Go 60 years back again,when the country was ravaged by disease and famine and there was a mass exodus to the US.Why don't the record books from Ellis Island document the million plus that arrived as British emigrants? Why not? Because they were Irish.The British army is,and always has been a foreign army on this island.
    I think your op is just to provoke reaction and start a clusterf*%k,as I said I'm not taking the bait but I'm sure many will.Ill bow out now and just watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Technically it was, when Pangea started to come apart we were part of the same breakaway state :)

Go 60 years back again,when the country was ravaged by disease and famine and there was a mass exodus to the US.Why don't the record books from Ellis Island document the million plus that arrived as British emigrants? Why not? Because they were Irish.The British army is,and always has been a foreign army on this island.
    I think your op is just to provoke reaction and start a clusterf*%k,as I said I'm not taking the bait but I'm sure many will.Ill bow out now and just watch.

Presumably because Ireland is a separate country/kingdom/territory while being part of a larger whole? Like the Welsh and Scottish. Separate countries, part of one unit. That's my guess.

Wang King wrote: »
    Technically it was, when Pangea started to come apart we were part of the same breakaway state :)

Yeah, but I was very young then. Can't really remember.

galljga1 wrote: »
    Yeah, but I was very young then. Can't really remember.

Pangaea Ultima may happen in the next 250 million years. So say goodbye to our blessed Republic :'(

Pangaea Ultima may happen in the next 250 million years. So say goodbye to our blessed Republic :'(

The last shake up was bad enough. Not looking forward to the next. Nuclear winter and all that... bloody freezing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,604 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Its offensive.

Why offensive?

I could understand if you choose not to wear it but what offends you about it?

Easter Monday is our national day (only learned that recentl) EDIT; Can't find confirmation on the last point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,604 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

This is so strange. Do people think you have to believe exactly what the lads back then believed?

I would wear it to say 'thanks for the sacrifice made by all those who took part in the struggle for freedom. You laid the foundations for our state. Well take it from here to improve the Republic you helped achieve. (I'm not interested in a 32 county Republic)'

What does the lily mean to you?

• Advertisement
Advertisement