Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instant hot water taps

Options
  • 29-03-2015 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi

Does anyone have any thoughts on instant hot water (not boiling) taps, like tap magic? I am thinking of installing one in my new kitchen and wondered if anyone had any thoughts, positive or negative they would care to share.

Many thanks

Francisco

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I know they are fairly expensive eg I know someone who spent €700 on one

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Francisco

Thanks - the ones I am looking at are around 200 for taps and extra for installation. The ones for boiling (as opposed to hot) water are much more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,340 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I know 2 homes with them. In one, they happily make tea using the water. In the other, one person raves about how foible it is while the other thinks it's handy to have super hot water for blanching veg but does not see it as "boiling".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Marcusm wrote: »
    I know 2 homes with them. In one, they happily make tea using the water. In the other, one person raves about how foible it is while the other thinks it's handy to have super hot water for blanching veg but does not see it as "boiling".

Foible? Does this not mean a character fault in a person? If it can also be used for objects I've happily learnt a new thing today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,340 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Foible? Does this not mean a character fault in a person? If it can also be used for objects I've happily learnt a new thing today :)

I typed flexible, it auto "corrected" to foible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Be careful if you've kids though. Water over 60C scalds badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Marcusm wrote: »
    I typed flexible, it auto "corrected" to foible.

Haha, I hate autocorrelation

Foible is a word I only recently discovered so was just wondering if I had incorrect meaning for it.
    Didn't want to come across as pedantic although I'm sure I did :)
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Francisco

Thanks for the clarification - I was thinking the same about foible and wasn't exactly sure if that was a pro or a con. Flexible is definitely a pro I reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

We've had one for the last two years. One thing to note is that they take all the ceremony out of making a cup of tea or coffee. There's no "I'm just popping out to put the kettle on" and then disappearing for 10 minutes. The water is just there so making a cup of something takes 10 seconds from start to finish. We find it great. One of the valves stuck at one point - I rang the manufacturers and they just put a new one in the post no problem, no charge.

Our one has a safety feature so you can't accidentally turn on the hot tap. You have to push and twist it to get the water flowing, so the chances of a small child doing it are small.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

Just make sure it has a decent flow rate at a hot temp. The cheaper ones take forever to get a decent amount of hot water in the sink. I recently switched out the boiler to a combi boiler and its the best investment i ever made, tankless and endless supply of hot hater at a incredible flow rate, down side is water rates but we won't get into that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Just make sure it has a decent flow rate at a hot temp. The cheaper ones take forever to get a decent amount of hot water in the sink. I recently switched out the boiler to a combi boiler and its the best investment i ever made, tankless and endless supply of hot hater at a incredible flow rate, down side is water rates but we won't get into that

I've been living with a combi boiler now for a year and it would definitely be the first thing I would install before a electric system.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Mr Obumble recently installed one, and found it didn't work. Someone he knew thought it could be due to low water pressure, and this was backed up by discrete off the record enquiries to a council engineer.

Advertisement