Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue With Tradespersons

Options
  • 29-03-2015 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi folks, I would be interested in your views and advice on this one!
    Myself and my family live in rented accommodation and have been in this particular house for decades!
    Recently our landlord foisted some trades people on us to do some work. The work required them to visit and work in every room. One room in particular has been used as a storage room. The most important consideration for them was access, which was duly granted to them for each room!
    They raised no issues with us and were not treated badly and seemed happy to be there!
    Then came the shock, when they had finished their work, they reported us to our landlord over clutter issues and that the place needed redecoration (we are responsible for this under the terms and conditions).
    The landlord sent a nasty letter to us and told us to sort it and we will be checked up on!
    What annoyed me was the sly. duplicitous nature of what these so called tradespersons/spies did, they have evidently proven, they cannot be trusted!
    They left quite a mess behind them, including a fairly dangerous substance, they have no Garda Vetting, despite having access to the bedrooms of children and old people, they knocked a phone of a wall and a piece of a smoke alarm from the ceiling. They were also using my chargers and leads to charge phones without permission and one of them left a stench like Chernobyl behind him in the toilet! I have checked with other people who have had the misfortune to have these highly unprofessional yellow pack lads in their homes and there is quite a bit of unhappiness with them!
    Where do we stand and is there any forum in which I can warn others out there, e.g. tradesperson review sites!
    Thank you for your help and advice.

Connacht15 is online now Report Post

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

What exactly is your issue?

Check your lease, but the LL has every right to carry out repairs to his house, after giving you notice he was doing so. You do not have the right to vet the tradespeople. That's down to the landlord.

If there was clutter which was an issue getting access to carry out work, the tradespeople have every right to inform the landlord.

If your lease says you have to redecorate, at what intervals was this supposed to have been done? When was the last time the house was decorated??

Tradespeople do not need to have Garda vetting to enter people's houses. Common sense would dictate that someone be present to supervise the work, especially if there are children there. If they've done damage, then point it out to the LL, and let him sort it with the workmen.

OK - it's not nice what happened in your loo, but a quick clean, spray of air freshner, open the windows and you're sorted. I'm sure it isn't the first time it's happened...

If you didn't want the workmen using your electric to charge phones, etc. you had every right to tell them to stop. Why didn't you?

Finally - the LL has every right to carry out an inspection of the property afte giving you notice, he's doing it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Gardai vetting for trades people working in homes? , I'm not sure where you're getting your info from but I'm afraid it's way off.

If you want to leave tradesmen (or women) with children unsupervised then that's your problem.

They most certainly do not need gardai vetting to paint a child's bedroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

What do you call a "nasty letter" - The L owns the house. He has a right to knwo that the hosue is in good condition.

If he has had a report from tradesmen that he trusts, then he has no option but to act on the report.

If you think there was a problem with the tradesmen, then report it to the LL and include photos and also respond politely to what the trademens have said.

But going running off to post bad comments on people you did not empoy and di not pay for it just wrong - far far far better trying to dela with the issue calming and rationally via your landlord. Its all covered in your lease.

As for the garda vetting - ah come on. Next people will want garda vetting for anyone getting the same bus as a child!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

While your Landlord has the right to have repairs done you as tenants also have rights and these include the right to peaceful enjoyment of the property.

You should have a read of the following which will inform you of your rights and obligations as a tenant. Your landlord does not have any right to evict or even warn you for the place being untidy or even messy as long as it does not damage the property.

http://www.prtb.ie/tenants

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/tenants_rights_and_obligations.html

http://www.threshold.ie/download/pdf/residential_tenancies_act_2004_a_quick_guide.pdf

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2004/en/act/pub/0027/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accommodation & Property

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Does the place need redecoration?

It could be the case that the tradespeople are angling for a second job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Why on earth would you have agreed to a clause for decoration?! Madness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Your landlord does not have any right to evict or even warn you for the place being untidy or even messy as long as it does not damage the property

Did you read the post?

There is no threat whatsoever about eviction.

Also if family is in the house for decades they would have plenty of security.

The ll is however entitled to have his property properly looked after by the tenants and the tenant's obligations would be laid out in the lease.

In 99% of situations talking to the ll in a professional manner sorts most issues. Whining on a public forum before making an attempt to sort out issues rarely helps.

at the end of the day he's been your ll for "decades" surely you can lift the phone to him and talk?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is this a council house? I guess so given that you're responsible for decoration.

Clear up your clutter.
    Paint the bits that need painted.
    Put in a formal complaint about the stuff the tradespeople broke.

Note to yourself that tradespeople will report to the people who are paying them.

Get over the rest.

Advertisement