Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi: Petrol Strimmers.

Options
  • 29-03-2015 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭

Has anyone bought a petrol strimmer currently on sale in Aldi?

I'm thinking of buying one so just looking for recommendations or comments.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭maconof

Hey Kettleson,

Have you a link to the one in particular? I bought one from Aldi last year and must say it was a great buy, never gave an ounce of trouble for me being used at least once a week throughout the summer months.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭gk5000

Have the Lidl one 2 years and am happy with it, and it looks very similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

maconof wrote: »
    Hey Kettleson,

Have you a link to the one in particular? I bought one from Aldi last year and must say it was a great buy, never gave an ounce of trouble for me being used at least once a week throughout the summer months.

Hi Maconof, thanks for that....cant find the link at Aldi website...but its "Gardenline Grass and Brush Strimmer" ...about €150. Seems good value but you obviously get what you pay for, but if I though it was half decent for a medium size garden, I thought I'd take a punt on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭maconof

I had never looked at the online reviews for the strimmer but they seem about 50:50 (Terrible vs Excellent). I've never had a problem with mine at least and the extra fittings they provided make strimming around stone walls very easy, but the blades are more than powerful to get through high grass.

I imagine improper care/storage might make a difference when it comes to some of the reviews I've seen!

Let me know how you get on with it, eager to know if it's still a good buy! :)

maconof wrote: »
    I had never looked at the online reviews for the strimmer but they seem about 50:50 (Terrible vs Excellent). I've never had a problem with mine at least and the extra fittings they provided make strimming around stone walls very easy, but the blades are more than powerful to get through high grass.

I imagine improper care/storage might make a difference when it comes to some of the reviews I've seen!

Let me know how you get on with it, eager to know if it's still a good buy! :)

Will do. I bought one yesterday. Will unbox it and will give it a try out. I think you are right about proper storage, maintainence etc. applies to all such things I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭jamesd

Have one of them 2 years, no issues.

As promised some feedback after purchase. I wish I had never bought the thing.

Takes a bit of head scratching to assemble the strimmer. Guidance notes OK for the very patient and literate.

The shoulder attachments (to hold machine) are a bit tricky to fine tune.

The machine itself is heavy and a bit unweildy. Need to be fit, strong and agile enough to use the thing.

Finally. I cannot get it started. Called Help Line.

Asked 4 questions:
    How many time did you try to start it? 30
    Have you checked spark plugs? Yes
    Did you use correct mix of 2 stroke and petrol? Yes
    Have you got receipt? Yes

"OK it Has to go back for repair".

The Help Centre is in Liverpool, so I reckon a bit of a long wait is on the cards.

I would only recommend this for the strong and fit and those with a basic knowledge of engines. And I can't guarantee it will start.

I'm off to Home base to buy a cheap electric strimmer. Might get it back in time for next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Kettleson wrote: »
    As promised some feedback after purchase. I wish I had never bought the thing.

Takes a bit of head scratching to assemble the strimmer. Guidance notes OK for the very patient and literate.

The shoulder attachments (to hold machine) are a bit tricky to fine tune.

The machine itself is heavy and a bit unweildy. Need to be fit, strong and agile enough to use the thing.

Finally. I cannot get it started. Called Help Line.

Asked 4 questions:
    How many time did you try to start it? 30
    Have you checked spark plugs? Yes
    Did you use correct mix of 2 stroke and petrol? Yes
    Have you got receipt? Yes

"OK it Has to go back for repair".

The Help Centre is in Liverpool, so I reckon a bit of a long wait is on the cards.

I would only recommend this for the strong and fit and those with a basic knowledge of engines. And I can't guarantee it will start.

I'm off to Home base to buy a cheap electric strimmer. Might get it back in time for next summer.
    Kettleson, is this similar to the one you bought:http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=26912
    I was going to get one on thurs.

@Red Sean. First off I got the strimmer going. A mixed blessing at the moment. I had consistently tried to start it up using the exact instructions in the manual.

Then, I reversed the advised setting for the choke and it started. So perhaps the manual was wrong or I had been consistently reading the instructions wrong. But at this point I'd def say there is an error in the starting instructions.

I haven't used it too much yet, but it's heavy and a bit unweildy and isn't clearing as fast as I thought it would. Maybe I'll get the knack of it after a few more goes.

The link you sent is a different make. And has many different fittings. It looks lighter too, which I'd say is a good thing. It's also interesting that ALDI is selling a different brand. So soon after stocking another.

Is there a weight given with your one? I'll check if there is with mine.

I'd say somehow who knows their engines would have spotted (either my or the instructions error) quite quickly.

Can't get it started again. Nightmare. I'd quite happily put this in the skip at this point. If this is anything to go by I'd stay electric.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭jake is right

Don't get any electric one. In my opinion they are all useless..
    Don't know anything about the Aldi one, but if you want a "cheapy" one, get the JCB one fron Woodies, etc. Have one for the last 4 years, and it's great for the average. (Large) garden.

Kettleson wrote: »
    Can't get it started again. Nightmare. I'd quite happily put this in the skip at this point. If this is anything to go by I'd stay electric.

2 strokes are simple

Generally
    - To start cold - you need choke on (for 5 or 6 pulls max) and the throttle lock on
    - To start hot - no choke and no throttle

But in between can be tricky - try it with no choke and no throtlle first
    then say half throttle, and if you try with choke - only for one or two pulls

Choke on restricts air, so is only useful when cold starting, and will otherwise flood the engine.

Thanks GK, I'll give that a go.

red sean wrote: »
    Kettleson, is this similar to the one you bought:http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=26912
    I was going to get one on thurs.

4 in one multi-tool may be master of none...or at least of strimming.

I have the lidl strimmer with the handlebars and harness and its very good, whereas this one is the long bar which would be fine for a small area only for comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I only need it for bits and pieces around home and another house I have let out, although the tenants prefer to do their own mostly. I think I'll take a punt on it. Lidl are good with returns usually so could always bring it back 'unfit for purpose' I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

I had an electric strimmer a couple of years ago.

Pure junk. Didn't spin fast enough.

gk5000 wrote: »
    2 strokes are simple

Generally
    - To start cold - you need choke on (for 5 or 6 pulls max) and the throttle lock on
    - To start hot - no choke and no throttle

But in between can be tricky - try it with no choke and no throtlle first
    then say half throttle, and if you try with choke - only for one or two pulls

Choke on restricts air, so is only useful when cold starting, and will otherwise flood the engine.

Thanks gk5000. That knowledge of the engine that you posted did the trick.

The only thing I'd say at the moment is that its a heavy machine. Shoulder straps definitely needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

Murt10 wrote: »
    I had an electric strimmer a couple of years ago.

Pure junk. Didn't spin fast enough.

I banned mine. Pure rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

I got one of the aldi trimmers, €129, started with difficulty, ran for half an hour and chilled to start again. I took it back and aldi replaced it without a problem. Their may be a quality control issue.
    The replacement started early and runs like a charm. Its heavy and the handlebars and harness need adjusting to get comfortable with but other than that setting up period, it's a fine piece of equipment, I wouldn't use or recommend it for contract work but for a small garden that needs the blade attachment yes. If you only need a cord strimmer for occasional use, get something lighter, you'll spend longer getting it on than cutting!

tommy2bad wrote: »
    I got one of the aldi trimmers, €129, started with difficulty, ran for half an hour and chilled to start again. I took it back and aldi replaced it without a problem. Their may be a quality control issue.
    The replacement started early and runs like a charm. Its heavy and the handlebars and harness need adjusting to get comfortable with but other than that setting up period, it's a fine piece of equipment, I wouldn't use or recommend it for contract work but for a small garden that needs the blade attachment yes. If you only need a cord strimmer for occasional use, get something lighter, you'll spend longer getting it on than cutting!

That makes sense. Mine keeps cutting out and hard to get started. Agree with all you have said too. I might dig out the receipt, but I've had it a few months now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Purchased the strimmer in lidl two weeks ago for 150,no problems so far,the engine is a beast on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Have the Aldi petrol brushcutter 4 months now.Flys through thick heavy undergrowth and is easy to use.The trick to using a brushcutter is your stance and your side to side motion/movement when working with it.Set yourself up correctly and you wont have any issues with it or its weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭peterofthebr

Blast from the past, anyone know where to find parts for this petrol strimmer/buah cutter.. I'm looking for new carburetor and fuel tubes.. yes I'm aware it's now 2024 :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭peterofthebr

Or even better where could I get this serviced? Cavan, Meath.. Bringing Aldi machines into places that deal with Honda, Husqvarna and Stihl don't seem to want to even look at them

Advertisement