Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zoom - adults climbing on a children's climbing frame

Options
  • 29-03-2015 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Sunday 29 March
    Am in Zoom at a child's birthday party.

There are three adult males climbing on the play frame, among dozens of children.
    I
    If two children collide, as they will when children run enthusiastically, at least it's a meeting of equals, and the odds of injury are balanced. However, when an 80 - 100 kilo adult slips and falls on a 15 - 20 kilo child, the odds are stacked against the child.

However, there are parts of the climbing frame where I can't see my children, and I'd be much happier if I knew that the only risks they faced involved other children.

I've raised this with Zoom staff, and they simply point out the rules, which say-

" Helping the little ones.
    All under 3s must be accompanied by an adult on the playframe but for the children's safety, adults must not use any of the slides."

Am I alone in thinking it would be more appropriate to keeps adults off the frame, and that if small children need assistance, they're simply too small to be there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

How will you know whether or not they need assistance if you don't let them try?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 burnaby

d2ww wrote: »
    How will you know whether or not they need assistance if you don't let them try?

I think we have different concerns here.

I see no reason not to let small children try the playframe, and I have no objection to an adult entering the frame if there's a problem - my concern (which isn't reflected in your question) relates to adults being in confined spaces which are neither visible from the floor nor viewable by CCTV.

Staff in all childcare facilities (yes - I know Zoom is not a childcare facility) are vetted by the Gardai - I think it's irresponsible of Zoom to allow adults onto a children's playframe, both because of their larger size than children, and because of the (hopefully small) risk of inappropriate behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

burnaby wrote: »
    Sunday 29 March
    Am in Zoom at a child's birthday party.

There are three adult males climbing on the play frame, among dozens of children.
    I
    If two children collide, as they will when children run enthusiastically, at least it's a meeting of equals, and the odds of injury are balanced. However, when an 80 - 100 kilo adult slips and falls on a 15 - 20 kilo child, the odds are stacked against the child.

However, there are parts of the climbing frame where I can't see my children, and I'd be much happier if I knew that the only risks they faced involved other children.

I've raised this with Zoom staff, and they simply point out the rules, which say-

" Helping the little ones.
    All under 3s must be accompanied by an adult on the playframe but for the children's safety, adults must not use any of the slides."

Am I alone in thinking it would be more appropriate to keeps adults off the frame, and that if small children need assistance, they're simply too small to be there?

You contradict yourself: "there are parts of the climbing frame where I can't see my children"

That is precisely why the adults are on the frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

I've been in Zoom many times and at the beginning, once or twice have had to come to the aid of my child when he felt he couldn't get down or was lost. To be honest, it's an absolute nightmare for an adult to go up there and I only did when it was clear there was no other way to get him down - a member of staff wouldn't have helped because he wont go with a stranger. But I do agree with you to an extent. I have seen grown men being quite boisterous and using the slides. That is quite different than simply coming to the aid of a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

have to say i agree totally with langerland.
    those frames are worse than a nightmare for any adult...especially if you're, well, lets's just say PLUS sized!!

i understand the OPs initial reservations, but at the same time, I'm sure they would be the first one up there if their child ran into trouble and needed assistance.
    for the record...I was in Zoom yesterday at the same time - the place was mobbed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I used to go on the frame with our youngest - great fun. They should rent it out for parties in the evenings!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

loyatemu wrote: »
    I used to go on the frame with our youngest - great fun. They should rent it out for parties in the evenings!

They do. Son was at a laser tag party in the evening before. Kids, guns and full access to the play area for the party. What more could a child ask for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Eh, I think he means to hire it out for adults. Laser tag anyone? You're never too old for Laser tag.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

astrofluff wrote: »
    Eh, I think he means to hire it out for adults. Laser tag anyone? You're never too old for Laser tag.

yeah I was going to say "hire it out for adult parties" but that has other implications... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

Disagree with you there OP, Dads go up there to help their little ones around.
    I've never seen anyone running around or being a danger to the kids. Mine are old enough to get around by themselves now but i did have to get my 6" self up there a few times in the past.

• Advertisement
Advertisement