Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GTA V PC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

How much storage space is needed to install this via Steam? It is 65gb or 120gb?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

humanji wrote: »
    Oh the irony! I've a dodgy internet connection so decided to get a physical copy only to find I've to download a 5gb day one patch that according to the downloader is going to take 19 hours. Awesome stuff.

Take it from me no matter what your internet connection is it doesn't matter. Rockstar download speeds are an absolute disgrace. Starts as fast as it should then disintegrates until it loses the connection. I'm currently trying a pause/resume strategy. Truly pathetic for such a major release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Out curiosity, what cards are people using? I am using a GTX 580 and only getting constant 30 fps. I honestly thought that card would get 60 fps as I am on 1080 p gaming. Maybe I done something wrong in settings. I used the geforce experience to set the optimal settings. I can get 60 fps in Battlefield 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im using a Sapphire R9 290X Vapor X 8GB

Everything maxed on 1080p baby and soon to be 3440x1440

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Sonics2k wrote: »
    How much storage space is needed to install this via Steam? It is 65gb or 120gb?

120Gb

Headshot wrote: »
    Im using a Sapphire R9 290X Vapor X 8GB

Everything maxed on 1080p baby and soon to be 3440x1440

I forgot to ask what fps are you getting?

I'd say your getting 60 as that's a decent card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Ponster wrote: »
    120Gb

Sweet merciful donkey bits.

I forgot to ask what fps are you getting?

I'd say your getting 60 as that's a decent card.

Im on Vsync and its pretty much 60 all day long except driving some times

You also have to factor i have everything on in the advance settings too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

mewso wrote: »
    Take it from me no matter what your internet connection is it doesn't matter. Rockstar download speeds are an absolute disgrace. Starts as fast as it should then disintegrates until it loses the connection. I'm currently trying a pause/resume strategy. Truly pathetic for such a major release.
    Yeah, I'm giving up. I'll try at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

i forced social club to run, and as an administrator too, and all I get is an error that rockstar social club is down and i should retry, which does the white window thing again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

humanji wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm giving up. I'll try at the weekend.
    Grab the folder off someone who has it, then start the download, stop the download, close the application, swap in the copied folder, and open the program. It should see the folder, and not have to download the entire thing? Have done this with Steam in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It's not a steam download for me. But it's grand. Sure I suppose I should really be doing work instead of having fun. :( *sniff*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

mewso wrote: »

Also employing a pause/resume strategy, it's awful, although mine was downloading fine on it's own up until around 50GB, I just hope the wait is worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭omerin

/\/ollog wrote: »
    i forced social club to run, and as an administrator too, and all I get is an error that rockstar social club is down and i should retry, which does the white window thing again.

You need to create a new Windows account, name it Admin and tick the Check box for Admin (the default is Standard) Restart the PC and log in to Admin. Locate the EXE file from the shortcut icon and run as Admin. Should work.

When I did it initially I created a new Windows account by forgot to tick the Admin option :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Well Physical media only got me so far, still another 5gb to go, 9 hours remaining :( Guess i'm playing tomorrow...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I got an error through installing by discs.
    Got to disc 5 and threw up a random error and quit! :mad:

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I got an error through installing by discs.
    Got to disc 5 and threw up a random error and quit! :mad:

Again :mad:

My disc 5 must be goosed :(

omerin wrote: »
    You need to create a new Windows account, name it Admin and tick the Check box for Admin (the default is Standard) Restart the PC and log in to Admin. Locate the EXE file from the shortcut icon and run as Admin. Should work.

When I did it initially I created a new Windows account by forgot to tick the Admin option :o

I thought that problem with windows usernames was unrelated, but I'm trying this.
    It's downloading the 350 mb patch again in the new account, sometimes it's jumping up to the 200KB/s! it was averaging 2KB/s launch night.
    Still slow.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Downloading through Rockstar Social club app, 60gb at 100kb/s is gonna take daaaayyys.. Sometimes goes up to 1.8mb but falls back down right away. More time downloading than playing :eek:

Cant wait to play none the less :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

Again :mad:

My disc 5 must be goosed :(

Pity you're in Limerick. Wouldn't mind giving you a lend of my discs. I'm downloading from rockstar and nearly finished. Anyway, I'm sure you'll find someone close enough to borrow one from :)

• Advertisement

Was it in this thread or the one on the GTA forum, where one of the moderators said he would give anybody a lend of his spare hard drive with GTA on it, don't know if he was joking or being serious.

Was it in this thread or the one on the GTA forum, where one of the moderators said he would give anybody a lend of his spare hard drive with GTA on it, don't know if he was joking or being serious.

Well if anyone HAS their own HD or big USB drive and wants to come over for a copy, I got a USB3 slot I'm more than willing to let them use :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

AMD and Nvidia have release new drivers for GTA V.

I stuck on the AMD ones and my FPS went up by 20-30 FPS :D

I suppose I can do the same as well. Anyone stuck trying to download it in the Mayo area can call over to me and get the game files. Just PM.

Venom wrote: »
    AMD and Nvidia have release new drivers for GTA V.

I stuck on the AMD ones and my FPS went up by 20-30 FPS :D

I'm so excited. I have a GTX 970 coming thursday specifically for GTA V :P

Pity you're in Limerick. Wouldn't mind giving you a lend of my discs. I'm downloading from rockstar and nearly finished. Anyway, I'm sure you'll find someone close enough to borrow one from :)

Thanks dude :)

But I think I might have a solution. A bit time consuming though.
    Gonna copy the discs with ImgBurn as iso files.
    Gonna use Daemon Tools to mount them in a virtual drive and install them from that.

ImgBurn had no problem making a copy of disc 5, but the error the install wizard was giving me was a disc read error.

Confused doesn't begin to explain it :D

Wow, it worked. The game will only start as windows user name "Admin"? Makes me want to swear and plant my face into my palms so hard I open a doorway to a dimension where programmers know how to code.

Wait, if I download the social club app direct from R* here:

https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/articles/200146066

Can I then download the game direct from that app, without having to use my discs? :)

Then, I assume I activate it with the key that came in the box!

https://socialclub.rockstargames.com/activate you can activate your code on this page probably.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    https://socialclub.rockstargames.com/activate you can activate your code on this page probably.

Sweet, thanks! :)

If my virtual dvd's don't work, that's the next port of call!

• Advertisement

Wait, if I download the social club app direct from R* here:

https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/articles/200146066

Can I then download the game direct from that app, without having to use my discs? :)

Then, I assume I activate it with the key that came in the box!

I activated my key online (enter your code with the dashes) then I'm still downloading the game until now. It does take a while though but as I've pointed out in my post in the other GTA V thread, I've been doing much better than some. So I believe your internet speed matters. I've seen some reports online of a few days of downloading while it's my first day today and I started at about 3pm and I'm at 56.84Gb now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I found the 5GB download elsewhere and got up and running. Some kind person out there made the effort:-

https://mega.co.nz/#F!hspEzCSR!fK6EWnRf4wcGS_xCXpOYaw

Basically this contains files in the structure they should be extracted to below the GTA V folder and you can replace any files already there or extract those not there. Once done you will need to rename any .part files which I'm assuming is the download record of the social club client and if left there the Rockstar client will think the download is incomplete and attempt to continue downloading. Obviously use at your own risk. If you are not sure of what you are doing don't bother.

edit - As an example I had a folder - Grand Theft Auto V\update\x64\dlcpacks\mpheist - and the downloader had created a file dlc.rpf of the size it would be once downloaded but it is just a placeholder until the download is complete. If the download is not complete there will be an accompanying dlc.rpf.part file. So I extracted and replaced the dlc.rpf file, renamed the .part file and it worked fine (with other missing files also extracted). Obviously if unsure backup the dlc.rpf before replacing it so you can reverse things if it doesn't work.

I gotta laugh that I was sitting there waiting for a 3GB multiplayer dlc to download so I could play the single player game.

I activated my key online (enter your code with the dashes) then I'm still downloading the game until now. It does take a while though but as I've pointed out in my post in the other GTA V thread, I've been doing much better than some. So I believe your internet speed matters. I've seen some reports online of a few days of downloading while it's my first day today and I started at about 3pm and I'm at 56.84Gb now.

I have a 30mb line, not too bad, but work has a 200mb line :D
    Might bring in the laptop in the morning and hope for the best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Squaredude

My game is now crashing every 5-20 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

Anyone had an issue where no one is able to join one particular friend, however that friend is able to join everyone else ? I'm guessing its a NAT issue or port forwarding issue. Does anyone know the required ports for this or is it the usual STEAM ones.
    Out curiosity, what cards are people using? I am using a GTX 580 and only getting constant 30 fps.

running gtx 670 and getting 60fps at 1080p, not everything at ultra though. Rockstar said you need minimum 660 for 60fps so you might have just missed the recommended spec with the 580.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

ondafly wrote: »
    Anyone had an issue where no one is able to join one particular friend, however that friend is able to join everyone else ? I'm guessing its a NAT issue or port forwarding issue. Does anyone know the required ports for this or is it the usual STEAM ones.

when connecting to a dedicated server there usually isn't any requirement to open ports in order to get people playing together. Is there any particular error message ? Has everyone completed the online tutorial ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

theres no error code its just the users name in the list is greyed out.

Not sure on the tutorial as most of us just imported our characters from xbox 360

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Wonder who dropped the ball, Steam or Rockstar

Day 2 now, was hopibg to be patched and able for a sneaky 5 min peak before work but its stuck on a 350mb patch that keeps failing, ho hum, guess ill have to use team viewer to convince it to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Good experience overall with it yesterday.
    1hr 10 min for full download and install from Steam.
    Used Nvidia Experience for settings optimizing which maxed out most settings on a GTX 670 @ 1080 :eek:
    Was pulling anywhere between 55-80 depending on what was going on around me. Mostly it sat near 70 so I was quite happy there. Will probably have to do a little tweaking with it.

Very tempted to get a 970. I'm thinking the Asus STRIX...
    Could pick up a second in a couple of months then too.

Jumped into online for the last 30 minutes. Got disconnected first time and landed in a session on my own the second. Third I spawned in and two blokes rushed over to me, knocked me down and filled me with lead. :D
    Respawned and I got my revenge though. Imma love this :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

GTX 970 gets you a constant 58-60 FPS at 1080p with everything on ultra.

You'll get about 55-60FPS at 1440p on Ultra in lesser demanding areas but drops to about 40FPS at higher demanding areas. You could probably tweak back some of the settings to Very High - High and see.

4K uses too much VRAM for the 970 so I assume performance drops immensely.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

R9 290 (4gb) and i'm getting steady 60+ fps on ultra settings (2x MSAA).

Looks fantastic, and plays really damn well. I had my first plane ride last night, and i was amazed that it ran as well as it did. No slowdown, and the scenery looked amazing...until our pilot bailed out by accident and we all died horribly :P

Had great fun last night on some random missions, and did the first Heist. Looking forward to trying some of the other ones.

Can anyone help me with this?

Have nearly 40gb downloaded, but when I click into GTA program files, nothing has been downloaded other than GTA Launcher, bootstrap and profile, all text files. Is that normal??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

I'm playing on a GTX 780ti 3GB, and I'm a little disappointed with the performance, about 30-40fps, and everything isn't up full. 1440p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Yakult wrote: »
    Can anyone help me with this?

Have nearly 40gb downloaded, but when I click into GTA program files, nothing has been downloaded other than GTA Launcher, bootstrap and profile, all text files. Is that normal??

It's probably downloading to a temp directory before install.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Kiith wrote: »
    Looks fantastic, and plays really damn well. I had my first plane ride last night, and i was amazed that it ran as well as it did. No slowdown, and the scenery looked amazing...until our pilot bailed out by accident and we all died horribly :P

That was fcukin hilarious " im a great pilot, i can fly blah blah blah " mountain :D

Game runs like a dream for me 290X 60fps with no slowdown or issues.

Anyone playing it on 4K?

Still stuck on 350mb patch. Seems there are plenty of others in strife with the install. Tbh I haven't experienced such a crappy, long winded, slow, buggy installation process since... The last popular PC game release !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Sonics2k wrote: »

You no longer need 120GB, only 65GB. The 120GB was to allow you to decrypt the files if you pre-loaded it on Steam before release.

It's fairly poor that they didnt announce that beforehand, I mentioned the possibility earlier in this thread so surely someone at Rockstar would have thought of this too.

Noxin wrote: »
    It's probably downloading to a temp directory before install.

Thanks, I hope you are right. Reading about all the problems with duplicate files being downloaded and stuff has me worried.

• Advertisement
Advertisement