Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GTA V PC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

It begins:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

R9 280 - get a very playable ~40 (minimum was 35, max 65... my average is probably on the low side) fps on full. That's on the built in test at least...
    Far, far better than dying light when it came out.

On another point, my CPU seems to be dieing under load. I have to test it fully but after about 10 minutes of playing GTA, the computer powers down. Nothing in the event viewer and no overclocking. I'd have thought I would see something in the event viewer but there is nothing (not even the obligatory "CPU has lost power" or similar).

I can play the game on ultra low settings for 30 mins+ (that's as long as I tested) but it runs so smoothly on full that I really want to get back up there. I was thinking of undervolting my CPU so the load doesn't get as high. Do you think this would work? Any good guides out there of how to safely underclock a CPU?
    It's and AMD FX 6100 by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

d31b0y wrote: »
    R9 280 - get a very playable ~40 (minimum was 35, max 65... my average is probably on the low side) fps on full. That's on the built in test at least...

On another point, my CPU seems to be dieing under load. I have to test it fully but after about 10 minutes of playing GTA, the computer powers down. Nothing in the event viewer and no overclocking. I'd have thought I would see something in the event viewer but there is nothing (not even the obligatory "CPU has lost power" or similar).

I can play the game on ultra low settings for 30 mins+ (that's as long as I tested) but it runs so smoothly on full that I really want to get back up there. I was thinking of undervolting my CPU so the load doesn't get as high. Do you think this would work? Any good guides out there of how to safely underclock a CPU?

Try getting the latest AMD drivers first before OC'ing as they almost doubled my FPS. Use the MSI afterburner app as well to boost up the OC on your GPU.

I have the latest beta drivers already. I want to get the CPU stable before I try OCing the GPU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Does anyone else find that the cars are almost bulletproof?

I drive at umpteen million miles per hour into an oncoming truck and all i have to show for it is a small ding in the bumper...

Also, sport/supercars are everywhere. It used to be a treasure to find a fast car, now its just a case of pointing randonly at any car.

That aside, the voice acting is great, loving the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Does anyone else find that the cars are almost bulletproof?

I drive at umpteen million miles per hour into an oncoming truck and all i have to show for it is a small ding in the bumper...

Also, sport/supercars are everywhere. It used to be a treasure to find a fast car, now its just a case of pointing randonly at any car.

That aside, the voice acting is great, loving the story.

Sports cars are everywhere, super cars are exceedingly rare. And only near Michael, when you play as Trevor you can't find anything good for miles

Cars are durable, and can be unflipped which I think is silly, but they can also take performance affecting damage. You can be shot while driving and if you crash too fast you can go through the windscreen.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Someone has released a mod that allows you to change the FOV in first person mode now. It's unknown if Rockstar will see this as a cheat though, so use it at your own risk. Would be nice if they added it themselves though.

Won't link it yet, as i don't want to get anyone banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Wonder who dropped the ball, Steam or Rockstar
    I'd say Rockstar.

Steam is used to this sudden massive game download thing.

Got it off Steam yesterday. Started download at just past 21:10, and finished at 23:30 or so. came down pretty much full whack for the entire download (fiddy meg line). Having a "quick game" was a bad idea. Living on Redbull today :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is it possible that you might need to put down new thermal paste on cpu? sounds like an issue I had with my old pc , it would just completely shut down and when I put new paste down that sorted it.

On another point, my CPU seems to be dieing under load. I have to test it fully but after about 10 minutes of playing GTA, the computer powers down.
    Install this; http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
    and set it to log temps. It may show something. Agree with Sephiroth_dude; can't hurt to reply the paste.

• Advertisement

Is it possible that you might need to put down new thermal paste on cpu? sounds like an issue I had with my old pc , it would just completely shut down and when I put new paste down that sorted it.

I'll give it a try. I noticed a bit of dust between the heat sync and the fan. Not enough that I would have thought would cause a problem but I have a trusty can o' air to give it a good clean this evening.
    Actually, just thinking about it... how the hell would dust have gotten stuck there. Surely the fan would have removed it before it had a chance to build up at all? If I reverse the positive and negative pins on the fan, would that reverse the direction of the blades or would it just stop working? It was an old build that I tackled a good few years ago but have never had trouble running anything till GTA.

Any brick chain shops that would have a supply of thermal paste or will I just grab it online. DID maybe?
    the_syco wrote: »
    Install this; http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
    and set it to log temps. It may show something. Agree with Sephiroth_dude; can't hurt to reply the paste.

Already have a temp monitor (openhardwaremonitor.org/) installed and it's showing nothing out of the ordinary either...

I'll give it a try. I noticed a bit of dust between the heat sync and the fan. Not enough that I would have thought would cause a problem but I have a trusty can o' air to give it a good clean this evening.
    Actually, just thinking about it... how the hell would dust have gotten stuck there. Surely the fan would have removed it before it had a chance to build up at all? If I reverse the positive and negative pins on the fan, would that reverse the direction of the blades or would it just stop working? It was an old build that I tackled a good few years ago but have never had trouble running anything till GTA.

Any brick chain shops that would have a supply of thermal paste or will I just grab it online. DID maybe?

Already have a temp monitor (openhardwaremonitor.org/) installed and it's showing nothing out of the ordinary either...

Don't forget to get rubbing alcohol to clean off the old paste gunk as well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Taylor365 wrote: »

Not buying vorpx for this yet although the FOV fix that kiith mentioned would improve things (you need 120 degrees fov for Oculus)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Bought, launcher insta quits when I start it. :(

Korvanica wrote: »
    Bought, launcher insta quits when I start it. :(

Make sure to run it as admin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

So I gave in and bought it via steam. Download was fine (& super quick), install was fine, no issues at all.

But I had this weird bug that whenever I ran or cycled a bike with Michael, his health would decrease to the point where he would just fall over. Standing was fine, but running and cycling in particular damaged his health.

I thought this was some sort of feature, as in he was really unhealthy :p

Anyway, a restart made it go away, but I thought I'd share as it was a pretty odd one.

Also I'd recommend turning off the graphical settings restrictions. I'm running on mid settings with a HD 6850 and it's pretty smooth, even though it says I'll be using ~1280 of my available ~1024 GPU memory.

(EDIT: Running at 1920 x 1200)

Shadows look like dick though, and it's really bugging me.

Guess it might be time for an upgrade...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

anyone else getting "Unexpected Error" from Social Club upon starting the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Venom wrote: »
    Make sure to run it as admin.

I initially installed as admin, ran as admin. Deactivating my GPU and starting it did the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Julez wrote: »
    I'm playing on a GTX 780ti 3GB, and I'm a little disappointed with the performance, about 30-40fps, and everything isn't up full. 1440p.
    You should be getting a lot better( i have the same gpu, but using a higher rez ), but it depends on your settings, im mostly very high, with some high settings( at work so..... ), 2xMSAA, 2xTXAA, FXAA, none of Extended stuff on,Soft Shadows, Grass on High.

Im getting ~42FPS avg during the day in the city( its similar at night but cant remember )@ 3440x1440.

My spec is:
    Xeon X5650 @ 4.3Ghz, HT enabled
    9 Gig ram
    780Ti
    256Gig Corsair SSD( only GTAV on this drive ).

I overclocked the 780Ti, 106 power, 180 core, 160mem, 100% fan speed( doesnt need this but ill reduce it once i get the settings im happy with )

Core usage is ~30% for me across all 12 HT cores, GPU usage is normally ~ 90-99% - figures from afterburner

Im sure my settings will tank when i go into the wilderness with the grass, will check later, i'd like to get my avg upto 48FPS as 42 is just a tad too low.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I had some FPS issues last night but alt-tabbing out and back in seemed to resolve it...

Overall I'm loving the game. NP mostly maxed out, 60FPS constant. And of course the game is excellent

Shop4memory.com is my local shop (they're based in Celbridge), but they'll post it out to you free by AnPost, but this is no good if you need it in a hurry.
    KonFusion wrote: »
    Standing was fine, but running and cycling in particular damaged his health.
    Once the stamina is exceeded, any further strenuous activity will damage your health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

11149708_877772568928864_4797809007194276709_o.jpg

Middle mouse forward when R Mouse is clicked :)

Prodigy complete anthology being loaded now :)

http://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-create-a-custom-radio-station-in-gta-5/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Anyone know where to find the Snapmatic photos? Mine don't seem to be uploading to the Social Club for some reason. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Star Lord wrote: »
    Anyone know where to find the Snapmatic photos? Mine don't seem to be uploading to the Social Club for some reason. :/

If its the same as the console version, when you are in-game go to the start menu & then gallery.

You have to select which picture to upload to the social club. There should be an option on screen.

Once uploaded, you'll find them here http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/boards-ie/games/gtav/pc/snapmatic (if you are in the boards crew) or through your own profile in the social club snapmatic pics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

So where is the cheapest place to get the steam version at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    So where is the cheapest place to get the steam version at the moment?
    On steam, there are no steam keys anywhere else, tbh the Steam version uses Rockstar Social club anyway, so other than good download speeds( if RSC is slow you can use torrents or other download sites ) it gives nothing extra.

Its ~26euro on Nuuvem

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

oh man gta online is fuuuuuuuun!

single player is decent so far. disappointed you can't do things like go the to gym and fight turf wars like in san andreas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

Anyone else having connection issues with online? i can not stay connected to a session for more than 5 minutes..... really infuriating!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

tazzzZ wrote: »
    Anyone else having connection issues with online? i can not stay connected to a session for more than 5 minutes..... really infuriating!!!

I got disconnected a few times and even mid game, but I usually only play after 12 at night as my brother does be online as well and I have a bad connection, haven't played at all today since 1.45 am this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I should be able to get 2 copies of this for only €80. Nothing dodgy about it, I just have a discount voucher that has a minimum spend of €100. They'd be steam keys, on the back of the card it says it requires a steam account. Does any one want to go in on it with me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

KonFusion wrote: »
    But I had this weird bug that whenever I ran or cycled a bike with Michael, his health would decrease to the point where he would just fall over. Standing was fine, but running and cycling in particular damaged his health.

I thought this was some sort of feature, as in he was really unhealthy :p

Haha, not a bug, you had capslock on. When you have capslock on the player will sprint without you holding shift, (intended feature) and it doesn't matter how fit they are, if you sprint them till they run out of stamina, it will start to negatively hit their health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

1st go at the editor / director, loving the robustness of it so far.

the_syco wrote: »
    Shop4memory.com is my local shop (they're based in Celbridge), but they'll post it out to you free by AnPost, but this is no good if you need it in a hurry.

Was able to sort it by underclocking the CPU. I'll order some thermal paste online but for now I will just play with the clock speeds till it's as good as possible and still stable.
    errlloyd wrote: »
    Haha, not a bug, you had capslock on. When you have capslock on the player will sprint without you holding shift, (intended feature) and it doesn't matter how fit they are, if you sprint them till they run out of stamina, it will start to negatively hit their health.

Default capslock for me is use special ability so I don't think you are right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

I should be able to get 2 copies of this for only €80. Nothing dodgy about it, I just have a discount voucher that has a minimum spend of €100. They'd be steam keys, on the back of the card it says it requires a steam account. Does any one want to go in on it with me?
    I'll be happy to take you up on that if they are steam keys!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

OSI wrote: »
    Checked Rockstar support, and they want you to uninstall and reinstall the whole thing. Read a bit more though and found someone listed the checksums for the files, so checked them and found the 2 that were incorrect and deleted them, fired up launcher and it grabbed those files again. Bam straight in, mission loaded in seconds. Raided SSDs were a fantastic idea :D

I had the checksum problem aswell, had to delete many of them due to not matching, assuming Social Club would redownload deleted files, it didnt. So had to do full redownload. Thankfully the checksums are matching up now and only a few hours remaining :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Ended up paying the €60 (didn't see almighty's post until too late) for steam version last night, first time paying full price for a pc game but feck it.

Whole thing downloaded in about 3hrs with no probs. Installed with no probs. But I have to say i'm a little disappointed with the frame rate.

Now, I am running it @ 2560 x 1440 but with a asus r9 290 oc 4GB which i've oc'ed even more to 1100MHz core and 1400MHz mem and an i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz + 8GB ram. I haven't jacked everything up to max and i've been fiddling around to try get it running at constant 60fps, but it varies wildly depending on whats going on and as I was playing it I would get frametime spikes which causes a half a second lag every few mins. Overall its a bit jerky going from as low as mid 30's to smooth 60fps.I have msaa and high res shadows off. I have a second monitor with msi afterburner running to show me the performance while I'm playing.

I also updated the gpu drivers to the latest gta beta and its installed on a samsung evo ssd.

It looks amazing but I really wanted the buttery smooth experience. Which setting is the biggest framerate hog would ye reckon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Got mine working anyway, if you are stuck on that 350mb patch that refuses to download, theres a link to a manual download.

I was able to play past the prologue and do some multiplayer, its good craic, although its a bit intent on deathmatch at the start which is kind of dull. Also trying to pilot an helicopter or airplane with the default controls is a bit of a challenge, didn't find the mouse much better either tbh.

Next question is, any way to get high textures with a mere 2gb graphics card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Yakult wrote: »
    anyone else getting "Unexpected Error" from Social Club upon starting the game?

no, but i did have it with the last three gta games that needed the social gaming club. Thank god, not this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

Great so far, was randomly crashing after 5 minutes in story but I disabled my anti virus and lowered my AA and it hasnt crashed since. However, about 10 minutes ago I tried to load singleplayer and it just stays on that loading screen indefinitely. Restarted pc, same thing. Bleh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Was able to sort it by underclocking the CPU. I'll order some thermal paste online but for now I will just play with the clock speeds till it's as good as possible and still stable.

Mate of mine was getting Kernel power error in the event viewer with an Intel CPU. I see you were expecting something like that but anyway he fixed his by udpating his BIOS to a more stable version and GTA hasnt crashed since

Thought it might be the BIOS but there hasn't been a revision for my mobo since the end of 2013. And yeah, that's the error I was expecting to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

-Vega- wrote: »
    Great so far, was randomly crashing after 5 minutes in story but I disabled my anti virus and lowered my AA and it hasnt crashed since. However, about 10 minutes ago I tried to load singleplayer and it just stays on that loading screen indefinitely. Restarted pc, same thing. Bleh.
    What GPU do you have Vega? (Or full specs for that matter)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Game is a real cpu hog. I hope they patch that to lessen it a bit. For anyone else with near 100% usage, atl-tab out and check your processes for the GTA V launcher. It's hogging the CPU in the background and is not needed.

Really torn on what to do here. Loving the game compared to when I played it on PS3. The enhanced gfx really make it different.
    So I've gone and ordered a GTX 970 but it won't be here until next Friday. Do I keep playing as is, which is pretty nice but can have some issues in areas, or wait for the 970... Dunno if I'd be able to resist the urge..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm waiting to get my new graphics card before I spend much more time with it, the performance is just a bit too sluggish as a result and it's frustrating me :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Shiminay wrote: »
    I'm waiting to get my new graphics card before I spend much more time with it, the performance is just a bit too sluggish as a result and it's frustrating me :)

Sluggish?? I thought you had a decent rig!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm actually really impressed at how it's running. Once went down to 2X MSAA, i got a serious jump in frame rate, and haven't had any issues since. Gonna steal myself a jet tonight and test it out though.

I'll be online after around 9pm as well, in case anyone fancies doing some missions.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It's showing it's age - the 2 6950's in particular are just not cutting it. CPU's a stock 2500k and so that might get an OC boost too.

Noxin wrote: »
    Game is a real cpu hog. I hope they patch that to lessen it a bit. For anyone else with near 100% usage, atl-tab out and check your processes for the GTA V launcher. It's hogging the CPU in the background and is not needed.

What CPU you using? Mine is barely going above 15% on any core I7 5820
    Kiith wrote: »

I'll be online after around 9pm as well, in case anyone fancies doing some missions.

Yup I be on around then, need a few more BRDS crew online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I've a HD 7870 2GB in my machine, which is grand, but my CPU is the real bottleneck at this stage, it's an i5 750. Gonna see if I can get a better LGA1156 processor, but not going to be easy to find one for a decent price realisitically!

Advertisement