Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GTA V PC

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Noxin wrote: »
    Game is a real cpu hog. I hope they patch that to lessen it a bit. For anyone else with near 100% usage, atl-tab out and check your processes for the GTA V launcher. It's hogging the CPU in the background and is not needed.

Can you ALT-TAB and kill the process ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ponster wrote: »

A lot of users have reported that the client crashes if you kill the Rockstar launcher. I've not tried it yet, but the launcher definitely is CPU heavy. Uses around 20%-30% just sitting there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

dreamers75 wrote: »
    What CPU you using? Mine is barely going above 15% on any core I7 5820

Using an i5-3570K. Was running at stock.
    OC'd to 4ghz yesterday but might give it a little more juice again.
    It's a bit old at this stage I guess but for me to up to a proper i7 I'll need a new mobo that can hold socket 2011. That'll have to wait a little while.

Yea sorry I should have said to kill the launcher process. It helps a bit :)
    You can alt tab fine, even in Online. I've had no probs doing it.
    No probs for me killing it either. It's the first thing I do after launching now and only had one crash which was for a different reason (me being stupid ;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

OSI wrote: »
    I'd be looking at something else tbh. I'm running an i7-930 from 2010 and it's perfectly adequate.

my 920's giving me great frames.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Squaredude

My game is still crashing to the desktop every 10 to 20 minutes. When I check the logs I'm seeing:
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Grand Theft Auto V\GTA5.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\nvwgf2umx.dll

I've un-installed my drivers and done a clean re-install and this allowed me to play for a few hours but now the same issue has started to happen again. Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

/\/ollog wrote: »
    my 920's giving me great frames.

Same. 920 @ 3.5 and a R9 280 and the game is running like a dream. The options under advanced graphics need to be turned off unless you are running on a total uber beast of a rig. Totalbiscuit has SLI GTX 980's and had to turn those setting down :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Venom wrote: »
    Same. 920 @ 3.5 and a R9 280 and the game is running like a dream. The options under advanced graphics need to be turned off unless you are running on a total uber beast of a rig. Totalbiscuit has SLI GTX 980's and had to turn those setting down :eek:
    I was able to turn on everything in advanced (some things are greyed out) I haven't really spent too much time messing with settings, I didn't even know I could set things like AA to x2, x4. I just turned them on.

Game runs at 58-60 fps almost constantly. I have a i7 2600k, 16gb ram, 770. Racing sims have me coveting FPS over graphics and the game looks damn good as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Definitely something up with it as I switched down to 1080p and the fps is pretty much sticking to 60fps but frametime is still spiking up and down all over the place causing terrible lag. For anyone using the msi afterburner hardware monitor, its the graph right under the fps graph. I have the 3 sliders set to about 50% and I even switched off the fxaa & msaa, turned down the grass and post fx and still the same. My card should be well able to run it @ 1080p. My current setup runs most games on high or ultra on 1440p.

Don't think its my cpu either because its not hitting 100% on all cores.

I'm going to keep fiddling around and see if I can figure it out. Looking forward to patches..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    Definitely something up with it as I switched down to 1080p and the fps is pretty much sticking to 60fps but frametime is still spiking up and down all over the place causing terrible lag. For anyone using the msi afterburner hardware monitor, its the graph right under the fps graph. I have the 3 sliders set to about 50% and I even switched off the fxaa & msaa, turned down the grass and post fx and still the same. My card should be well able to run it @ 1080p. My current setup runs most games on high or ultra on 1440p.

Don't think its my cpu either because its not hitting 100% on all cores.

I'm going to keep fiddling around and see if I can figure it out. Looking forward to patches..

Anti virus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

GTA V - Port Report
    TotalBiscuit, The Cynical Brit

https://youtu.be/HUEYJS799dI

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Is there any way to go direct to first person rather than the V button toggling through 3/4? perspectives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

damn you 920 guys should upgrade to the xeon X56X0 chips, 80euro+ delivered depending on what chip you go for, Chips overclock higher, are cooler and a lot less power consumption. Im on a X5650@4.4Ghz( no more difficult to reach than a 920@3.8Gh )

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

lmimmfn wrote: »
    damn you 920 guys should upgrade to the xeon X56X0 chips, 80euro+ delivered depending on what chip you go for, Chips overclock higher, are cooler and a lot less power consumption. Im on a X5650@4.4Ghz( no more difficult to reach than a 920@3.8Gh )

I'm planing to upgrade to an X99 system when DDR4 prices stop being crazy tbh.

I'm planing to upgrade to an X99 system when DDR4 prices stop being crazy tbh.

I went X99 before xmas, bit of a disappointment tbh. Expected more.

Should have waited for Skylake.

Was work bonus and if i didnt buy PC i was getting a fcuking kitchen or something :)

dreamers75 wrote: »
    I went X99 before xmas, bit of a disappointment tbh. Expected more.

Should have waited for Skylake.

Was work bonus and if i didnt buy PC i was getting a fcuking kitchen or something :)

I think the problem is that the CPU jumps from one generation to the next have just been so small since the original i7 to current top end systems.

mewso wrote: »
    Is there any way to go direct to first person rather than the V button toggling through 3/4? perspectives?
    I think you can hold it down to go direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

so the police armour van is basically a tank. you can hold off waves of cops in it for ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Game hasn't disappointed me so far, thought the hype would be too much but I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Been the spending the past 2 nights playing with the director and editor so haven't gotten to Trevor yet, judging by people's reactions to him I can't wait, heh.

Nearly spending as much time in the editor as I am the game itself :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

d31b0y wrote: »
    Default capslock for me is use special ability so I don't think you are right there.

I take it back. Was on a bicycle last night and hit caps - insta health loss but super speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

noob question. How do i get the fps (frames per seccond) in gta 5. Do i need to install another program.

• Advertisement

Playing online with friends is just terrible. You get invited to a session and you can wait for a minute for it to load only to be told that it's full and then you can get kicked back to story mode or some random location on the map. It all feels very clunky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

noob question. How do i get the fps (frames per seccond) in gta 5. Do i need to install another program.

If you are using steam you can enable an fps counter.

Steam Settings

bgcojs0s42pwz0gjmkeg.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I'm playing with two 980's as well, with everything maxed at 2560x1440. Performance in the city is usually around 105 to 125 fps. But out in the canyons the FPS can dip to 70 odd. I would've expected the rural areas to be much faster personally, it's not like there's traffic or pedestrians about.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

OSI wrote: »
    I wonder has it a dynamic draw distance? ie, you can't see, it doesn't render it? In the country you'd be able to see a lot further so it would have more to render.

Any recent game would have z filtering, GTA V is no exception. It may simply be more of a case that they focussed on optimizing the city areas, since they understandably would be the focus of events.

You know you're spoiled when you notice a drop to a paltry 70 frames per second :P

Spear wrote: »
    But out in the canyons the FPS can dip to 70 odd.
    I wonder could it be all the vegetation?

Playing online with friends is just terrible. You get invited to a session and you can wait for a minute for it to load only to be told that it's full and then you can get kicked back to story mode or some random location on the map. It all feels very clunky.

Best way I have found is go into SP and then from the online menu select play GTA online invite only session.

When in your own little world invite your mates (only mates not crew) and play to your hearts content.

Why that option is not in the online part is beyond me and why cant i invite all crew members is also beyond me.

Or even instead of Invite only have Buddies only. It would be like have your own group server rather than forcing you to make one.

Another gripe invites dont pop up in game unless its for missions, for your mates to see that invite they have have to to to the HOME button.

It is all a bit clunky.

GTA V - Port Report
    TotalBiscuit, The Cynical Brit

https://youtu.be/HUEYJS799dI
    Very helpful video when it comes to graphic settings. I might start messing with the settings over the weekend. I think I might be running at fairly low settings.

• Advertisement

Try creating a batch file to give the game high priority and the launcher low priority. Should avoid any crashes from the launcher not being there that way. I've not tried it yet, but apparently its helped a few people.
    start steam://rungameid/271590
    timeout 60
    wmic process where name="GTA5.exe" CALL setpriority "high priority"
    wmic process where name="gtavlauncher.exe" CALL setpriority "idle"
    wmic process where name="subprocess.exe" CALL setpriority "idle"

Replace steam://rungameid/271590 with the GTAV.exe location if you don't use Steam.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I wonder could it be all the vegetation?

I don't recall seeing a vegetation detail slider previously, but then I wasn't looking for one. I'll mess around with it later once home.

Spear wrote: »
    I don't recall seeing a vegetation detail slider previously, but then I wasn't looking for one. I'll mess around with it later once home.
    According to totalbiscuit's video the advanced graphic settings can cause dips in weird places and it's not even that the card is overworked, the GC usage goes down with the frame rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mgudim

Kiith wrote: »
    Try creating a batch file to give the game high priority and the launcher low priority. Should avoid any crashes from the launcher not being there that way. I've not tried it yet, but apparently its helped a few people.

Replace steam://rungameid/271590 with the GTAV.exe location if you don't use Steam.
    No need for this anymore, the new update fixed launcher using too much cpu.

Ah nice. It also fixes the Windows username character bug apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Seems to be an update for GTA

Anyone know the whats being fixed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Well after watching the totalbiscuit video I copied his settings exactly but running @1440p instead of 1080 and switched off vsync just to get a measure of fps. I was then getting around 70/80 odd fps in the city which dropped to around 40 in certain places in the country but the frametime stutter/lag is greatly reduced.It still has the odd spike but once I switched off those advanced graphics settings it made HUGE difference to the stuttering but the pop-up is a lot more noticeable :(

Watching the video drew my attention to gpu usage and it turns out that some of these spikes happen when my gpu usage also drops, and i've seen it drop as far as 0% in some instances.

I'm hoping this will all be further optimised and patched but i'm happy that in the city, at least im getting a nice smooth experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Headshot wrote: »

Its the issue with user account names with weird characters not being able to start the game.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

Headshot wrote: »

The launcher issue where having an onboard card caused issues for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

anyone else have a recurring server issue where everyone gets dumped out of a server leaving you completely on my own?

froog wrote: »
    anyone else have a recurring server issue where everyone gets dumped out of a server leaving you completely on my own?

Yes, but it's actually you that's being dumped. It just looks like it's everyone leaving you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

I've went through the windscreen a couple of times now, anyone know if you can get your character to put on their seat belt like in gta4?

Change Log : https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/articles/205509157

What is still annoying me is when in a job with friends, should all choose to quit, all end up in separate sessions afterwards. I think that we'd prefer to wait longer until there was a server with the space for all (4!) of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Ciano35 wrote: »
    I've went through the windscreen a couple of times now, anyone know if you can get your character to put on their seat belt like in gta4?

Is it a case of waiting a moment after getting into the car, instead of accelerating straight away?

I haven't checked myself, but then again I find it hilarious when I go flying through the windscreen. :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Oddly enough I don't remember ever going through the windshield in V on the 360, I did all the time in IV. On bikes you put on a helmet after a few seconds when stopped, perhaps it's the same.

Im glad to say my trusty old 920@3.4Ghz is keeping up with my 760. I'm getting 40-60 fps at 1080p on mostly very high settings and with advanced stuff enabled. I'm going to mess abut a bit for a steady 60 but it's a solid port. The only distraction is the shadows popping in - very noticeable in aircraft.

Now to see if anyone has figured out how to make the chopper controls not suck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Nope I've tried waiting after getting in the car but he just sits there and after a while starts bopping his head to the music on the radio :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Ciano35 wrote: »

That's never happened me even in some crazy community made super car races. What exactly are you driving?

I seen people put seatbelts on and have gone tru the windscreen a few times myself. never noticed if I was putting it on.

Its awesome in 1st person.

I can only imagine it using the Rift. That and sky diving would be brilliant :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I'm not going to try it in the rift until they fix the FOV problem (85 degree FOV is not enough for the Rift's ~120 degrees). There is an FOV injector to fix this but it could be a bit dodgy and you also need to pay €30 for Vorpx so I think I'll wait for them to improve it first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I'm not going to try it in the rift until they fix the FOV problem (85 degree FOV is not enough for the Rift's ~120 degrees). There is an FOV injector to fix this but it could be a bit dodgy and you also need to pay €30 for Vorpx so I think I'll wait for them to improve it first.

Even then I dont think it will be worth it, I have vorpx and have used it on some games. Its pretty good in some cases but ultimately its unusable for actually playing in any amount.

-To get the proper 3d depth effect the game needs to be in geomtry mode, it looks very flat, this hasnt been added yet. There is also a big gpu over head for this.
    -if you use head tracking your gun sights are tied to where you look, not fun for shooting.
    -cut scenes, text, menus are all unreadable.

You can also play in a virtual cinema mode where its projected onto a virtu screen, this is fine for playing, but it will look very pixalated unfortunatly.

Dedicated oculus games like elite,hl2 or Alien isolation are far better anf playable on the rift, and when you see the various tricks they had to use to get it working on the rift, it becomes clear why just injecting 3d into games like gta v is only good for a quick laugh. It would be amazing if rockstar did patch in support, but with all the mini games and weird features gta v has it seems like it would be a lot of work for little payback.

• Advertisement
Advertisement